3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ABS Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Banned

ABS Sensor Question

Are the passenger and driver side sensors interchangeable. of of mine is blown but i don't know which. but i have access to another sensor for free but i'm just curious to know if it would work at either wheel.

help is much appreciated.

flaming will be responded to accordingly..
Old 06-08-2003, 11:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When your system fails to work, it will generally flash a nice warning light up on the dashboard. When this is lit, your ABS system WILL NOT work. Now it would be a bit contentious of me to say that it is still safe to drive your car while this is lit, but I can say that I have driven my car for many weeks with the ABS warning light lit. Although it makes you nervous, it does just mean that the ABS won’t kick in in a lock up situation.

Beware that lights in the dashboard do blow, and it is not beyond some unscrupulous people to remove the bulb from the instrument cluster when selling a car, rather than fixing the system.

As with other computers in the Max, the ABS computer has a self diagnostic system. If the dashboard warning light is on, then drive the car above 20mph for at least a minute. Stop the car WITHOUT switching the engine off, and open the boot.

Under the parcel shelf on the right hand side is a metal box. This is the ABS computer we discussed before, and it will have a flashing red LED on the bottom. Count the flashes, as this corresponds to a fault code, listed in the table below:

Number of Flashes Reason
1 Left front actuator solenoid circuit
2 Right front actuator solenoid circuit
3 Right rear actuator solenoid circuit
4 Left rear actuator solenoid circuit
5 Left front wheel sensor circuit
6 Right front wheel sensor circuit
7 Right rear wheel sensor circuit
8 Left rear wheel sensor circuit
9 Motor and motor relay
10 Solenoid valve relay
16 Control unit
None, but dashboard light on Power supply or ground for control unit

If you are getting a sensor code, then you should check the sensors visually to see if there is any rust or general crud between the sensor and the toothed wheel. If not, then the sensor probably needs replacing. If it’s anything else, I’d give serious thought to visiting a dealer as you do not want to be mucking about with the main ABS actuator unit.

This article from 4dsc.com

http://www.4dsc.com/articles/suspens...bssystem.shtml
Old 06-08-2003, 11:19 PM
Banned

i've had the car for over a year now & i'm pretty sure that it is a sensor because i recently had the driver side & passenger side axles replaced. it's been almost a month now of driving with the blown sensor and the only reason i will be fixing it soon is because the damn light is soooo annoying!
if i just remove the light i will forget that the abs isn't working and when winter comes i'll be in big trouble
it is common for these sensors to be blown after replacing the axles.
but thanks for the help and i will definately use that self diagnostics procedure.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by shock211

but thanks for the help and i will definately use that self diagnostics procedure. [/B]
yeah it works , found out my front driver side was out, went to a junkyard found a working one for like 15 bucks.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:43 AM
I'm needing a caw

I have the pass side sensor for sale
Old 06-09-2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by tafan321

yeah it works , found out my front driver side was out, went to a junkyard found a working one for like 15 bucks.
nice, i had to bite the bullet and get one from courtesy nissan since none of the junkyards had the sensor. i was glad though since my abs light was on for like two years.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:52 PM

I do not see how the right sensor could be used on the left side and visa versa because the electrical lines to the first harness connection are different lengths. To answer your other question, these sensors are extremely fragile and removing the axles could damage the sensor if they were hit or bumped abruptly.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by tafan321
When your system fails to work, it will generally flash a nice warning light up on the dashboard. When this is lit, your ABS system WILL NOT work. Now it would be a bit contentious of me to say that it is still safe to drive your car while this is lit, but I can say that I have driven my car for many weeks with the ABS warning light lit. Although it makes you nervous, it does just mean that the ABS won’t kick in in a lock up situation.

Beware that lights in the dashboard do blow, and it is not beyond some unscrupulous people to remove the bulb from the instrument cluster when selling a car, rather than fixing the system.

As with other computers in the Max, the ABS computer has a self diagnostic system. If the dashboard warning light is on, then drive the car above 20mph for at least a minute. Stop the car WITHOUT switching the engine off, and open the boot.

Under the parcel shelf on the right hand side is a metal box. This is the ABS computer we discussed before, and it will have a flashing red LED on the bottom. Count the flashes, as this corresponds to a fault code, listed in the table below:

Number of Flashes Reason
1 Left front actuator solenoid circuit
2 Right front actuator solenoid circuit
3 Right rear actuator solenoid circuit
4 Left rear actuator solenoid circuit
5 Left front wheel sensor circuit
6 Right front wheel sensor circuit
7 Right rear wheel sensor circuit
8 Left rear wheel sensor circuit
9 Motor and motor relay
10 Solenoid valve relay
16 Control unit
None, but dashboard light on Power supply or ground for control unit

If you are getting a sensor code, then you should check the sensors visually to see if there is any rust or general crud between the sensor and the toothed wheel. If not, then the sensor probably needs replacing. If it’s anything else, I’d give serious thought to visiting a dealer as you do not want to be mucking about with the main ABS actuator unit.

This article from 4dsc.com

http://www.4dsc.com/articles/suspens...bssystem.shtml

Is this LED only located on 3rd gens?