3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Woohoo! I'm keeping my baby!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 06:23 AM

Woohoo! I'm keeping my baby!

Well, the verdict is in... My Max is finally paid off, the title will be coming in a couple weeks... I decided this weekend that I am not going to sell it... It'll be going with me down to Florida when I move down next month, and my sisters neighbour does a LOT of real... Interesting work on cars
So, it is going to be garaged, and starting this fall/winter, I am going to be tearing it (almost) completely down and re-building it from the ground up... Since it's not my daily driver any more, I can afford to buy everything a piece at a time... Well, I can afford the *time*, the money part will be interesting, but I can probably get away with a little bit each week.
My plans for it include removing as much excess weight as possible (I don't intend it to be a streetcar), convert it to a 5-spd, and do a complete engine rebuild, including turbo (I'm hoping to do a twin-turbo, but we'll see what kind of miracles we can do) It's going to be a go-car, not a show car... Not at first any way, aesthetics will come last of everything
Should be interesting! Anyone have any ideas/advice for me?
Old 06-11-2003, 07:23 AM
Way out West

I think your heart is in the right place, but if you want a race car, it would be a lot easier to sell your Max and buy something like a 94 Sentra SE-R, or a 91 300ZX TT.

For probably less money than you are going to put into your Max, you can whoop it with a stock twin turbo Z. The SE-R is a cheap race car, that with is super light and has mods available that can really make it go.

If you want to go fast, a GXE Maxima isn't the best platform to work from. It would be cool to see, but man, that's a lot of work just to get you where some cars are stock. The best things about Maximas are their blend of comfort (luxury) and sportiness. They are fantastic for a four door car, but they can't hold a candle to a car that was designed as a pure sports car.

just my two cents.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by Red92MaxSE
I think your heart is in the right place, but if you want a race car, it would be a lot easier to sell your Max and buy something like a 94 Sentra SE-R, or a 91 300ZX TT.

For probably less money than you are going to put into your Max, you can whoop it with a stock twin turbo Z. The SE-R is a cheap race car, that with is super light and has mods available that can really make it go.

If you want to go fast, a GXE Maxima isn't the best platform to work from. It would be cool to see, but man, that's a lot of work just to get you where some cars are stock. The best things about Maximas are their blend of comfort (luxury) and sportiness. They are fantastic for a four door car, but they can't hold a candle to a car that was designed as a pure sports car.

just my two cents.
Which is exactly why I'm doing it... It doesn't matter to me that it's a lot of work, it's an excellent opportunity to work with a great mechanic and learn more then how to change brakes and oil, and also to make people who only *think* I'm crazy to *know* that I am... Until we hit the track
Old 06-11-2003, 03:48 PM

taegost i c ur movin' to florida??? what part r u movin' to??? i'll be doin' the same with my car in a few weeks. i'll be buyin' an engine and a 5-speed tranny off a VE and just rip apart the whole engine and start puttin' internal mods same goes for the tranny. right now my stock engine has 212859 miles on it and the auto tranny is not workin' how it should. but its nice to c that people like u is goin' that far for their ride. but congrats on keepin' ur ride hope u come through with all the stuff u wanna put in it.

good luck,
rick
Old 06-11-2003, 05:58 PM

it's a lot to ask, but if you really want to go all out I reccomend that you mount the engine forward, and then use the factory transaxle to create an all wheel drive maxima.

you will need custom motor mounts and powertrain components, but it will give you a LOT more space to work with for the forced induction.

Also I reccomend that you look at screw type superchargers instead of turbos. even the most efficent turbo has at least 1.5 seconds of lag. A scew type supercharger will create an almost flat torque curve, and instant response.

If you want to run high boost pressure then you will need to reduce the compression ratio by some means.

I really think that the world needs a 3'rd gen done right.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by kingcarnage
it's a lot to ask, but if you really want to go all out I reccomend that you mount the engine forward, and then use the factory transaxle to create an all wheel drive maxima.

you will need custom motor mounts and powertrain components, but it will give you a LOT more space to work with for the forced induction.

Also I reccomend that you look at screw type superchargers instead of turbos. even the most efficent turbo has at least 1.5 seconds of lag. A scew type supercharger will create an almost flat torque curve, and instant response.

If you want to run high boost pressure then you will need to reduce the compression ratio by some means.

I really think that the world needs a 3'rd gen done right.
Hrmmm, that's an interesting concept... What do you mean by the "factory transaxle" to make it AWD? I'd imagine it would be difficult since it's an independent suspension... But would definately be added to my scope if it's possible
I do plan on lowering the compression to add more boost, and I'm a little leary of superchargers... By screw type, you mean one that's driven by a screw and not a belt, right? It's the belt that makes me hesitant to use one.
I am definately going to take my time and do it all right, and just have fun with it... I don't know much about cars, but the guy that will help me does, and I think I can learn quite a bit from this whole experience, and actually have something to show for it!
I'm still trying to envision how racing slicks would look on a FWD car... I'm debating also whether I want to keep it an autotragic and do the VB mod on it, or just go all-out with a 5-speed.. The autos hold the gears pretty well, but I've never driven a 3rd gen 5-speed so I don't know how they compare (I do drive sticks tho, so I know how they compare overall :>)
Oh, and I'm moving to St. Pete (for the 2nd time in 3 years)
Old 06-12-2003, 11:48 AM

More power to you. So you plan on boring and honing cylinders and what not. And porting and polishing all up in their right?
Old 06-12-2003, 01:53 PM

the type of tansmission used in our cars relays power to the axle directly. The transmission and the differential are all one piece. Get under the car and look at how the axle connects and you will know what I mean.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:59 PM

oh almost forgot.

A screw type supercharger IS run off of a belt (but this is no reason to be bothered all belts on cars contain cables often making them stronger than chains). It is called a screw type because it doesn't use a turbine. It has two intermeshing screws that push air into the manifold at a continuous pressure. They are similar to a much cheaper design, but I doubt you are fammiliar with it. The cheaper design which has intermeshing strait parts causes pulsations in pressure and is much less effective.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by kingcarnage
oh almost forgot.

A screw type supercharger IS run off of a belt (but this is no reason to be bothered all belts on cars contain cables often making them stronger than chains). It is called a screw type because it doesn't use a turbine. It has two intermeshing screws that push air into the manifold at a continuous pressure. They are similar to a much cheaper design, but I doubt you are fammiliar with it. The cheaper design which has intermeshing strait parts causes pulsations in pressure and is much less effective.
Hrmmm, good information, I'll have to keep it in mind when I get down to tearing it apart
I drove it to my brothers house today to park it so I can remove the insurance... She was in so much pain... I almost cried... I had to keep an even pressure on the gas the whole time so it wouldn't try to shift, and when I had to stop she almost didn't start going again <sniff>