3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

pretty loud knocking noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 12:37 PM
SHIFT_PANTS

pretty loud knocking noise from engine

Thanks for reading my problem and any help on this issue is more than welcome.

I have this loud knocking like noise coming from the engine. It gets louder as the weather cools down, but you can barely here it in hot weather. I went to a couple of mechanics and they told me all kinds of things from vtc to lifters.

The noise sounds like it's coming from the oil area. Hope this is detailed enough for a solution.

Very much appriciate your feedback

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

If the power goes down and the knocking noise goes up, say bye-bye to the engine. Check the oil level NOW
Old 06-17-2003, 01:39 PM
SHIFT_PANTS

There is plenty of oil in the engine, but when I uncap the oil while the engine is on the oil doesn't come splashing out. This is done after trying everything else out. Could lifters make knocking noise? I've also put in some risoline hoping that would help out the noise and get rid of it, but if that doesn't work I'm not sure what else to do.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

can you feel the knock, my camry was knocking for about a week before it died do to low oil and me being to young and stupid to check it and i could feel it in my gas pedal the knock got louder and faster every time i took it into high rpms and finaly at about 5k it just locked up

and also make sure your dipstick has oil on all four sides at the end. i though i had my engine full a couple of time because 2 or 3 sides were oily but one side wasnt and it was because oil in the tube was getting on it but i was still low
Old 06-18-2003, 01:10 AM

mine only knocmks when u start it up
Old 06-23-2003, 03:11 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

its those vtc's
Old 06-23-2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by gowirelessnj
its those vtc's

or lifters...i used to get that too but it doesnt happen anymore for some weird reason.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:31 PM

Can you determine if it is a top end or bottom end problem? Top end problems (lifters/cams) will repeat fasters and typically are a "tapping" noise. Bottom end (wrist pins, crank bearing, etc) are slower and a deeper "knocking" sound. If you have a three foot (or so) section of 1/2" (ish) hose, start the engine and carefully move one end around the heads and block while listen at the other end. Sounds crude but it works. If you can determine the problem is top end, it is probably a lifter that is bleeding down overnight and take a while to prime when you start the car. If its bottom end, hope for the vtc's creating a detonation problem cause anything else is serious.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:07 PM
SHIFT_PANTS

Originally posted by Roco
Can you determine if it is a top end or bottom end problem? Top end problems (lifters/cams) will repeat fasters and typically are a "tapping" noise. Bottom end (wrist pins, crank bearing, etc) are slower and a deeper "knocking" sound. If you have a three foot (or so) section of 1/2" (ish) hose, start the engine and carefully move one end around the heads and block while listen at the other end. Sounds crude but it works. If you can determine the problem is top end, it is probably a lifter that is bleeding down overnight and take a while to prime when you start the car. If its bottom end, hope for the vtc's creating a detonation problem cause anything else is serious.

Well it happens when the weather is cool. It goes away when things warm up, but in cool weather it's 50/50. It's a knocking sound in the place where you pour oil in. If you open the hood you can feel it knocking there with your hands. It definitely goes away when it hot outside. My car feels a bit laggy until I hit the higher rpms. Not sure if it's related to the knocking type sound.

Thanks again for all the input
Old 06-24-2003, 08:54 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

its the vtc's mina makes the same sound from the same location
Old 06-24-2003, 11:03 AM
SHIFT_PANTS

Originally posted by gowirelessnj
its the vtc's mina makes the same sound from the same location

I Just went to a nissan mechanic and he told me it is the vtc sprocket. Is that easy to change or fix. The price to fix it is like 2G's, I looked at him and thought he was kiddin. That's almost as much as I payed for my car.

If I leave it would anything happen to the engine etc...

Old 06-24-2003, 11:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

maybe, maybe not
Old 06-26-2003, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Maxmus_X

I Just went to a nissan mechanic and he told me it is the vtc sprocket. Is that easy to change or fix. The price to fix it is like 2G's, I looked at him and thought he was kiddin. That's almost as much as I payed for my car.

If I leave it would anything happen to the engine etc...

I have a couple of my customers that have been driving with the VTC sprockets making noise for over a year. (I'm a Nissan Master Tech)

Not an easy job by no means. The VTC's are approx $500 ea

We use to rebuild them when they were under warranty, but they seem to return later making same noise.

Today we no longer offer the rebuilding option. I have not had 1 new one come back yet.

I have done so many that I have found out that it is easier to remove the camshaft and replace it on the bench than to replace it in the car. I can do both sides in less than 6 hours total
Old 06-28-2003, 08:10 PM
SHIFT_PANTS

Originally posted by KAWAZILLA12R

I have a couple of my customers that have been driving with the VTC sprockets making noise for over a year. (I'm a Nissan Master Tech)

Not an easy job by no means. The VTC's are approx $500 ea

We use to rebuild them when they were under warranty, but they seem to return later making same noise.

Today we no longer offer the rebuilding option. I have not had 1 new one come back yet.

I have done so many that I have found out that it is easier to remove the camshaft and replace it on the bench than to replace it in the car. I can do both sides in less than 6 hours total

'
I wish I had the means and know how as you do. It would make life for me much easier