3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Professional level video of 3'rd gens being made in memphis area

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 06:18 PM

Professional level video of 3'rd gens being made in memphis area

I have been shooting and editing video for about ten years now and after looking at the quality of the videos that people are putting on the web of maximas I have decided to make a video project out of my car.

I live in Germantown, just outside of Memphis, TN. Anyone else in the memphis metro area with a 3'rd gen max (other models accepted, but 3'rd gen preferred) is welcome to be involved.

My car is stock so it's hard for me to make it look that cool for performance, but the clips i've shot soo far look really good.

Also I want to hear suggestions for background music to use.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:52 PM

Re: Professional level video of 3'rd gens being made in memphis area

Originally posted by kingcarnage
I have been shooting and editing video for about ten years now and after looking at the quality of the videos that people are putting on the web of maximas I have decided to make a video project out of my car.

I live in Germantown, just outside of Memphis, TN. Anyone else in the memphis metro area with a 3'rd gen max (other models accepted, but 3'rd gen preferred) is welcome to be involved.

My car is stock so it's hard for me to make it look that cool for performance, but the clips i've shot soo far look really good.

Also I want to hear suggestions for background music to use.
man, i'm in germantown too. i've seen lots of 3rd gens but didn't know ppl were on the org. email me dude. i'm putting in eibachs/kyb's this weekend.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:35 AM

Re: Professional level video of 3'rd gens being made in memphis area

for music, it depends on the theme you want to set. If nostalgic, you can use the song from the 2002 max ad (cant for the life of me remember the name, but its the one where it catches the sunrise and sunset i think).

Sporty theme, turbolover or are you going my way by lenny. there are also some cool songs on the linkin park meteora cd that would make catchy theme songs in particular the matrix song (#12 i think).
Old 06-19-2003, 09:11 AM

Re: Re: Professional level video of 3'rd gens being made in memphis area

Originally posted by lophix
for music, it depends on the theme you want to set. If nostalgic, you can use the song from the 2002 max ad (cant for the life of me remember the name, but its the one where it catches the sunrise and sunset i think).
uncle tom's diner
Old 06-19-2003, 09:42 AM

I am not using linkin park because this is not a fanboy dragon ball z video, and as far as lenny goes I would use the origional song way before using a remake. But don't get me wrong I appreciate the feedback.

I was considering hardcore rap, or a really powerful rock or metal song. NIN, white stripes, marolyn manson, bone crusher, dmx, etc...
OR using a good old song, mabye even finding one that came out during the 3'rd gens time. Mabye some nirvana.

I am not going for nostalga (unless someone with an 04 wants to get involved and make it a decade theme) but rather for awesomeness. If that's a word.

I don't know the song from the commercial, but I'll try and check it out.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:27 PM

please dont use "hardcore rap" and "bone crusher" in the same sentence.

walka
Old 06-19-2003, 07:33 PM

sorry walka, I'll try and keep it straight.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

kingcarnage,

hey, dude. i draw storyboards for a living here in LA. being the in the video editing business, you should know what that is. are you doing this from a shot list, boards, off-the-cuff?

do a combo music package with some sort of percussive trance, modern club stuff with some acid jazz. stuff from Cafe del Mar vol. 8. Groove Armada. trip hop. stuff that has some edge but is not annoying.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:01 PM

I downloaded a video of a Z Car meet from the Z Club of Texas and they used the music from the movie Top Gun, I think the song is called Danger Zone, I think that song worked really well or perhaps another song from Top Gun would work well with your video. Or how about the Van Halen cover song they used for the old 300zx Barbie Commercial I think its called "You really got me"
Old 06-19-2003, 10:17 PM

When are you shooting? For music, try "Song 2" by Blur (the "woohoo"song...).
Old 06-21-2003, 03:55 PM

#################### Thread starter ##########################

Originally posted by bonzelite
kingcarnage,

hey, dude. i draw storyboards for a living here in LA. being the in the video editing business, you should know what that is. are you doing this from a shot list, boards, off-the-cuff?

do a combo music package with some sort of percussive trance, modern club stuff with some acid jazz. stuff from Cafe del Mar vol. 8. Groove Armada. trip hop. stuff that has some edge but is not annoying.

That's a really awesome job bonz. I drew of several shots that I wanted, and I also improved some depending on location, and what winds up looking good. If you have any good ideas for shots or cuts I would love to hear them.

Highway to the danger zone is probably the song from top gun. That is a really great song and I didn't even think about using it at first, but I defanitely considereing it now that I gave it some thought.

Also if anyone else has, or is able to digitize existing maxima footage and place it online I would gladly use it. This would be a good way for people who aren't near to memphis to get involved. And as far as advice goes all I can say is mount it steady or use a tripod, otherwize I might not use it because of the handheld jitter. Also It's better if you keep it short and use high quality encoding.

For any moderators that see this, I would apprecieate it if you could ask the site owners and runners about any footage they would like to contribute.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:25 PM

king,

do some 'testimonials' as well from owners. perhaps, too, find some print ads from that era of the 3rd gen. and dealer lit. you can intercut those images with voiceovers from the talking head footage. you can "move in" to the stills by placing them on the wall, lighting them with 45degree tungstens, and moving in and across the image slowly with the camera. watch any film by ken burns, like "civil war" or his baseball film. he has many. use that as a sort of benchmark. and then consider the live action stuff. i suggest, too, watching dvds from the "best motoring" series out of japan. use those, too, as a sort of model to emulate/be influenced by but innovate upon. go beyond those. also, i am from marietta, georgia. i moved to studio city, then north hollywood from there. so, then, try as best as possible to not "localize" the film too much. most of the tuners will not relate to the local southern culture. go urban. or make the countryside shots super nice but not too "cultural."

listen to "cafe del mar volume 8" and anything by groove armada. use at least some of that feel. for upbeat, go to any dj shop with vinyl and turntables and listen around. go out late to trendy clubs and take in that experience and try to imbue the film with that somewhat. make it hip. but not overly so. making a film is difficult. making a good film is extremely hard. listen even to some bach or mozart or satie. do a sequence, perhaps, in this film with that mood. the images will be changing as the musical mood changes. even contradict the images with the music. have a shot of the 3rd gen driving through a cemetary with iron maiden (for example). or have break dancers near a subway platform while mozart plays. then cut to extreme sports footage with the motorcylces or skateboards flying over the maxima with the sountrack of "XXX" (or that type) playing. mix it up but maintain focus and theme.

-more two cents worth from hollywood.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:51 PM

i was thinking of the genre "drum and bass." at least have a listen to that stuff. if anything, you may find something you like for something else. listen to "massive attack." stuff from curve's "doppleganger." and "hooverphonic."
Old 06-22-2003, 01:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Guns & Roses- "U could be mine" u know that terminator 2 song... also some techno and some old school hiphop... blend that ****, ya know! also some 80's songs would be funny...
Old 06-22-2003, 08:29 AM

music suggestions

DJ shadow..."what does your soul look like part 3"
DJ shadow instrumental mix(remix of dj crush).
crystal method-cherry twist
dj shadow and depeche mode-painkiller
spybreak by propellerheads (original matrix soundtrack)
automator and kool keith- a better tomorrow (Z-trip final mix)
automator-4:17
hive- ultrasonic sound (original matrix soundtrack).
thats my $0.02
Old 06-22-2003, 12:52 PM

I aint ritch

Although this vid is for demonstration of skill, and I know that many firms spend more on non commisioned projects to draw in buisness than on actual paid work, (yes, it's true) I still don't think that I am going to be getting any shots of motorcycles leaping over the car and the like.

I do like your testimonials idea, and the old media usage. I think that the use of old ads for the max would really make it a lot better. Anyone who wants to contribute audio files as a testimonial is also welcome(and I'm NOT looking for exhaust noises).

Also is there anyone else in the memphis metro area? I want to have at least a litttle variety.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:44 PM

Cake - (Going) The Distance
Blur - Song 2 ( as someone already mentioned)
Deftones - Be quiet and drive <--great song
Old 06-22-2003, 03:17 PM

king,

i brainstormed for you. i know some of the things i mentioned may not be doable. as a storyboard artist, it is my job to go beyond the scope of the project. they pay me to think for them. and i let the powers-that-be distill it down, if you will. some of my ideas are usable, as you noted. i want your film to be kick-as*. i was making it my own when i was envisioning things for you. please use my ideas if you like them and can use them. i want to help a fellow filmmaker and 3rd gen nut. what a great combination.

the music genre i am thinking of is "drum and bass."

i will research this, too, but there is a website, possibly a couple, with archived/vintage TV commercials. you may be able to find some nissan commercials on there and use clips of those. i think one site is www.adbusters.com or adworld.com. something like that. i will find it and confirm the address for you.

maybe strive, too, for shots that entail reflections in the glass or mirror-finish of the paint at night. perhaps the reflections can be appropriate to the story, images, or just nice design elements. try to find a tunnel and shoot that. like a 3rd gen is seen to be oncoming down the tunnel and you whip pan to follow it as it passes by. the greenish glow of the tunnel lighting and reflections on the car can be very dramatic.