3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

HI all, i new here so i need a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 12:27 AM

HI all, i new here so i need a little help.

My mom just gave me her 1990 max and i couldn't be anymore happier.
I have a couple of problems and i wanted to know if it is a problem.

1)This car eats a lot of gas. I get about 100 city miles before i have to refill. Is this normal?

2)When i stop or start the car i get a really strong gas smell, is this also normal?

3)The engine doesn't sound strong and fit anymore. It would have the nice engine noise but it whould also have this chee chee chee old car engine noise. I hope you know what i mean.

Ok i am a complet newbie but i am willing to learn. Any info would be appriciated.

1990 max with 104000 miles

Oh yeah, where should i check for problems? How much would it be?
Old 06-19-2003, 02:23 AM

Re: HI all, i new here so i need a little help.

hi there and welcome to the org.

1. That is NOT normal. you should be getting between 280 and 380 in city on a full tank. First things to do are to get a tuneup (plugs, plug cables, distibutor, fuel filter, etc)

2. might be leaking gas somewhere which might be the cause of #1 above. Places to check are underneath the car for ANY leaks at all, as well as behind the back seat for rust (search for maxima recalls to see if you have that problem) Do this check before starting and immediately after starting in case you can actually see it dripping.

3. Don't know what you mean by chee chee chee, but the fact that you can hear it's not running right is a good thing. Take it to someone you know and trust and have them tell you what the sound is and what the problem is.

I have to add that before you start doling out cash to fix the car, get quotes first on parts and labor and then post the numbers on the org asking for peoples opinions. Most people here can tell just by looking at the prices if you are being ripped off or not.

One more thing to add to your list of to-dos is to change your transmission fluid and your timing belt. Those are the two most important things. But like i said, post quotes you are given and you can go from there.

I have 202000 miles on my 91se and it runs perfectly fine. There are others with a lot more than mine and are in perfect condition. This is just to let you know that your car is pretty young and has a long life ahead.

Goodluck and welcome (or is it welcome and goodluck?!? )
Old 06-19-2003, 02:45 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

380 in the city IS a heck of a stretch, I'd think. Now, maybe on the highway, yeah... But I'd think no more than 250 or 275 at best. But that's just an opinion.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:03 AM

Yeah, 380 is way too much for stop and go city.

You might also want to change the O2 sensor if that has not been done in the last 50-60K.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:00 PM

I remember reading about how this car can burn out fuel injectors. How would i know if this is burned or not. I thought the smell of gas would be that problem, but i really hope not. Its expensive and i can't really do it myself.
I think my mom did a tune-up on 2000.
But i have to change the oil every 3000 miles?
Transmission fluid is changing oil right?

hehe i am so lost.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

the gas smell is most likely the fuel lines coming in and out of the intake manifold going to the rail. they are old and probably have hairline crack(s)
Old 06-19-2003, 12:17 PM

i found this that LOPHIX was talking about.

Defect Summary:
IT IS POSSIBLE FOR A MIXTURE OF MUD AND SALT TO GET TRAPPED BETWEEN THE FUEL FILLER TUBE AND WHEEL HOUSING. THE TRAPPED MUD AND SALT CAN RESULT IN CORROSION OF THE FUEL FILLER TUBE AND THE WHEEL HOUSING.

Consequence Summary:

SIGNIFICANT CORROSION OF THE FUEL FILLER TUBE MAY RESULT IN FUEL LEAKS WHICH IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE. IN ADDITION, THE LEFT REAR SEAT BELT RETRACTOR IS MOUNTED TO THE WHEEL HOUSING AND IN THE EVENT OF SIGNIFICANT CORROSION, AND THE MOUNTING COULD FAIL IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Corrective Summary:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THESE VEHICLES AND CORRECTIVE ACTION WILL BE TAKEN DEPENDING UPON THE EXTENT OF THE CORROSION.

How do i check this out anyways? I have to take out the seat behind the driver side?
How often do you guys change your oil?

Does this mean if i brong it to the nissan dealer he'll check it for free?!?!
Sorry for being an idiot with these questions.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:06 PM

The dealer should check it for free and do it for free if there's a problem. They might be able to check using your VIN.

Change your oil every 3000 miles (4500 if you're using synthetic) or about 3 months.

Do you have an automatic transmission or manual? If auto, then you can flush the transmission. The dipstick is on the right front of the engine bay between the cooling fans and air intake tubing. If manual, then you change the gear oil.

The engine and transmission oil are different.

You might want to purchase a Hayne's 85-91 book (about 10.00) to learn more about the car.