3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

MAX PERFORMANCE INTAKE CHIP (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

MAX PERFORMANCE INTAKE CHIP (pic)

Saw this on Ebay: Anyone tried one of these???

Here's the Ebay Link

For about #35, doesn't have to do much to be worth it. What does it do, if anything?
Old 06-20-2003, 03:33 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ah yeah, two wires and one is the ground. Gee very complicated device! Sophisticated interfacing I see!
Old 06-20-2003, 07:55 PM

It removes $35 bucks from your wallet.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by shoult
It removes $35 bucks from your wallet.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Destroying The Hopes And Dreams of Honda Owners Everywhere!

i think thess thing work by advancing the timing 1 or two degrees because its a resistor type deal and tricks the sensor to believing the air is colder. is it worth it? no because you can advance the timing yourself without having to pay 30+ dollars for a device that says "mach10 performance chip" or whatever. i doubt these devices can give you the "real" performance gains that a "real" ecu such as jwt provides. but if you think a little box that says "mach10 performance" in your engine bay is cool for decoration or whatever then go for it. other wise i wouldnt spend my money on items like that. just my opinion. also the same resistor type mod can be found more much cheaper like under 10 dollars just without the happy box and or logos on it. if you want to do that mod, go for it,to each his own.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:37 PM

I thought it just richened the fuel mixture, I guess not though.

I found a site with more info on how to do it: http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ricker_mod.htm

And also, it's nothing but a resistor which you can buy for 40 cents in Radio Shack. If you bought one on Ebay, you got ripped off.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:29 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

its definitly a money remover. Dont bothor with that look into a real ecu chip.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:09 AM

I say screw the resistor, if your gonna do it, use a potienometer (sp?). more control

then again, I have better things to do with my time that play dirty tricks on my ECU.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by gowirelessnj
its definitly a money remover. Dont bothor with that look into a real ecu chip.
Allow me set the record straight. I'm not expecting ANY superchip to suddenly transform my VG30E Max into a rocket ship. Although there's lots of negative feedback for these Ebay Sellers, most are from buyers hacked off becasue they paid $35 for a resistor, and have not installed it yet. Of the ones that HAVE installed the thing, well over half are reporting noticible performance gains. I AM NOT onsidering buying this "Ebay Wonder". I AM interested in which engine parameter the guy is trying to tweak IF IT WORKS (which it apparently does for fair number of cars) so I/WE can duplicate it ourselves - all without any Mach stickers. Advancing the timing I'm well capable of without his box to do it, IF that's what it's doing. If it makes the air/fuel ratio richer by fooling the MAF for example, then we might pick up 5-10hp, especially if preceded by a WS Y pipe and better intake. That's about all we're getting by machining out trottle bodies, and buying JWT Pop Chargers; and I see no deratory comments on this forum about doing THAT!!javascript:smilie('')
eek!

Yes, I've check into a "Real" ECU chip. Have you??? Except it's not just a chip. It's an entire modified ECCU unit with upgraded ROM chips. Certainly, anyone who can afford to give Jim Wolf Technology about $1000 and get a small chunk of it back (refund on ECCU core charge) should not consider ANY $35 chip!!!javascript:smilie('')
big grin

Here's the real gotcha; JWT desiged the core software code (EPROMs) intended for engines modified well outside the design envelope for near-stock car/ECCU. When I called JWT, they openly admit that their EECU will only yield very modest gains with a basicly stock engine. Their EECU is designed for cars which already have Thousands of Dollars of other mods first. If you have $6000- $8000 to drop on a full turbo plus accompannmying engine/transmission/axle upgrades so your car will hold together, or want to chance blowing up your engine with NO, and still have money burning a hole in your pocket; by all means get an "REAL" ECU upgrade from JWT.

For the rest of us slogging mortals, picking up 5-10hp here and there inexpensively is worth thinking about. If any of these things work, and apparently they do in some cases, then some of you might even want to buy the thing. You can't even get a K&N based intake for that amount of chicken feed.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by RMAX54

For the rest of us slogging mortals, picking up 5-10hp here and there inexpensively is worth thinking about.
nothing is inexpensive and until i see actual dynos and proof this POS actually works then i will pretty much say its worthless...
Old 06-23-2003, 07:09 AM

quit b!tchin and use the SEARCH. Someone asks about this thing once a week. Opinions haven't changed... it's a rip off. You won't get 1 hp out of it... maybe a tenth at best... but 5-10? What kind of ricer math is that?? Yeah, my pop-charger gives me 50 hp... wanna buy it? I've also got ocean-front property in Montana for sale...
Old 06-23-2003, 08:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ah, I have a JWT ecu in my VE30DE 5-sp. I only have I/Y/ basicly it pulls hard. So you DON'T need to have thousands of $ in mods for it to work well.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by RMAX54

Allow me set the record straight. I'm not expecting ANY superchip to suddenly transform my VG30E Max into a rocket ship. Although there's lots of negative feedback for these Ebay Sellers, most are from buyers hacked off becasue they paid $35 for a resistor, and have not installed it yet. Of the ones that HAVE installed the thing, well over half are reporting noticible performance gains. I AM NOT onsidering buying this "Ebay Wonder". I AM interested in which engine parameter the guy is trying to tweak IF IT WORKS (which it apparently does for fair number of cars) so I/WE can duplicate it ourselves - all without any Mach stickers. Advancing the timing I'm well capable of without his box to do it, IF that's what it's doing. If it makes the air/fuel ratio richer by fooling the MAF for example, then we might pick up 5-10hp, especially if preceded by a WS Y pipe and better intake. That's about all we're getting by machining out trottle bodies, and buying JWT Pop Chargers; and I see no deratory comments on this forum about doing THAT!!javascript:smilie('')
eek!

Yes, I've check into a "Real" ECU chip. Have you??? Except it's not just a chip. It's an entire modified ECCU unit with upgraded ROM chips. Certainly, anyone who can afford to give Jim Wolf Technology about $1000 and get a small chunk of it back (refund on ECCU core charge) should not consider ANY $35 chip!!!javascript:smilie('')
big grin

Here's the real gotcha; JWT desiged the core software code (EPROMs) intended for engines modified well outside the design envelope for near-stock car/ECCU. When I called JWT, they openly admit that their EECU will only yield very modest gains with a basicly stock engine. Their EECU is designed for cars which already have Thousands of Dollars of other mods first. If you have $6000- $8000 to drop on a full turbo plus accompannmying engine/transmission/axle upgrades so your car will hold together, or want to chance blowing up your engine with NO, and still have money burning a hole in your pocket; by all means get an "REAL" ECU upgrade from JWT.

For the rest of us slogging mortals, picking up 5-10hp here and there inexpensively is worth thinking about. If any of these things work, and apparently they do in some cases, then some of you might even want to buy the thing. You can't even get a K&N based intake for that amount of chicken feed.
c'mon fess up..you know you're the seller and you want to boost sales by spaming our board with this little magic box.

modding is an expensive hobby..if you can't afford it then don't do it. speed = $
Old 06-23-2003, 02:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah what he said!!! ??
Old 06-23-2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by GOST
Yeah what he said!!! ??
White Flag!! I surrender!!! I feverently regret I ever started this thread!! I'd looked at (and spent many house searching ORG posts on) this general type of gizmo before. This seemed to be a new one, and was curious if anybody had figured it out, especially what it was TRYING to do. As it turns out, NOBODY has any real hands on information on it, just unfounded opinions as far as I can tell - And for my trouble I'm getting beat like a step child for being technically curious and commiting heresy by an unintended implied suggestion that ORG members don't know every single possible performance tweak theoretically possible for Maximas. Pardon ME!!!! http://forums.maxima.org/images/smilies/bowdown1.gif

I've got to admit, if 5-10hp is trivial 'riceboy math' I've got to wonder what the HE*L ORG members are doing burning all that server capacity with zillions of posts about about spending a entire weekend milling out throttle bodies, increasing timing, and air intake products all for horsepower increases in a very similar non-gargantuan range. I won't even go into $600 cat backs don't do diddly on the dynos, but are for sound and show only. http://forums.maxima.org/images/smilies/soapbox.gif

Oh, by the way: I'm NOT an Ebay seller of this stuff. My Ebay name is "Flank-speed", and you will find no sales of autmotive parts of any kind in the 290 or so transactions in my feedback going back over 3 years.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:37 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

....an unintended implied suggestion that ORG members don't know every single possible performance tweak theoretically possible for Maximas....
The funny thing is... some think they DO!

I've got to wonder what the HE*L ORG members are doing burning all that server capacity with zillions of posts about about spending a entire weekend milling out throttle bodies, increasing timing, and air intake products all for horsepower increases in a very similar non-gargantuan range.
Yeah, curious minds WOULD like to know this. Any of our resident "brain trusts" want to step up to the plate on this one?? Bueller?? BUELLER??
Old 06-24-2003, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by nubiannupe

The funny thing is... some think they DO!

Yeah, curious minds WOULD like to know this. Any of our resident "brain trusts" want to step up to the plate on this one?? Bueller?? BUELLER??
10 hp makes a hell of a difference. If he thinks that an intake... or worse yet some silly resistor from radio shack... is going to give him 5-10 hp then he should

forget it. Not even worth it. Just trying to explain that it's a waste of money. Yeah, that intake and cat-back aren't going to give your maxima 100 hp. But guess what: they won't give ANY car 100 hp. Geeze.
I was in a shop yesterday and there was a kid who had just got his injen intake installed on his Mitsubishi Galant. He was talking about the 25-30hp increase and how he's going to race this camaro... lol
Go buy your chip. Just don't say we didn't warn you. And worst yet, don't say you did a SEARCH because this same thing is asked about once a week. If you did a SEARCH, you'd find 100 other threads with some poor fool getting flamed about it.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:44 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by nubiannupe

please tell me you're being sarcastic