3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

how to check AC compressor is switching on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 08:29 PM

how to check AC compressor is switching on?

I never used my AC last summer...now when i switch it on, there's no cold air...i checked for refrigerant...the "eye glass" on the drier is clean and Chilton's says it will be clean if the Refrigerant is full OR empty....

so i pressed both of the valves for a second and gas came out at high pressure...so i assume there is refrigerant in there in adequate quanitity (otherwise the eye glass will have bubbles in it).

the other problem could be the compressor...i am not sure if its switching on or not...when i press the AC button on the climate control....the RPMs go higher for a second or tow and the radiator and condensor fans switch on...how can i be sure if the compressor is running or not?

(did search but didnt get a definite answer)...thanks
Old 06-28-2003, 05:14 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

The next time you press the AC button have someone check to see if the compressor clutch is engages on/off with the buttton. Even though you press the valve to check for freon in the system the freon level could still be low. The freon pressures are pretty high and when it's low and you press the valve it may appear to be adequate pressure but it could still be low. It's kinda exactly what the Chiltons stated, the site glass will be clear if the system is full or empty. You check the site glass when the system is running, compressor pumping and freon flowing. Also, even if the compressor clutch is engaging that doesn't always mean the compressor is working correctly, basically pressure gauges needed to be hook up to check the system.

Edit: I haven't look into our AC system but does anyone know if we have a high and low pressure switches. If so, it's possible your low pressure switch could be defective even though the freon/pressures are within limits.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:52 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

my ac turns on for a while then off then on for 10 min then off for 30 sec then on for 10 min then off for 30 sec. I checked freon but i have no pressure gage ill just go to the shop and hook it up. Also i want to note that if the charging system is overfilled the system will NOT work right either.