3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VG30E Maxima headers available

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

VG30E Maxima headers available

I've got the opportunity to include a few header sets for the VG30E Maxima in an order of VQ headers I've placed with an overseas performance parts fabricator. This isn't a hard sell, just a solicitation of interest, and understandably many will want to see how the first ones work out, but if you're in the midst of a major engine building project or like to be the first on the block to have something new, read on.

This is a 6-2-1 design, and includes everything from the engine block to the cat. It consists of the two 3-1 headers and what is in effect a Y-pipe, but it is an equal length design to the 2-1 collector (the rear exhaust does a donut before it hits the collector). It will be made of a heavy gauge (I can find out the metric spec), mild steel tubing with HPC ceramic coating inside and out for corrosion protection and heat containment. This will carry HPC USA's lifetime warranty.

I've never seen this VG30 version, but it is the same basic configuration as the VQ headers I put on my car over the winter holidays and I have been very pleased with the performance. Plus, I've gotta admit that I still dig the deep, melodious sound every time I get into it. It sounded real good before, with Y-pipe, cat and catback - I was pleased with it - but with the headers I've realized the car sounds exactly like I alway wanted it to.

Comparability between the two engines is limited, but the basic dyno results I got follow. I've included the actual hp and torque (fp) differences of the headers vs a stock y-pipe, but the percentage differences are more useful for determining what they will do on a VG. I've got the dyno chart and a spreadsheet of the actual data for anyone that's interested (write to me directly). The VQ header on my 97 yielded these increases in power:

- a maximum horsepower increase [the largest margin between the header and stock dyno runs, at 5400rpm] of 18.6hp (11.4%) and a maximum torque increase of 18.5fp @ 4800rpm (11.4% @ 5400rpm),

- an increase in peak power of 16.5hp@5000rpm (9.9%)/15.8f@4600rpm (8.7%) and the header moved peak up from 4000rpm,

- an average power increase, what I consider to be the most important but least noticed dyno statistic, of 10.9hp (8.2%)/12.6fp (7.6%) average between 2300-6100rpm, indicating a solid increase across the entire power band, not just a blip.

How much better is this than a Y-pipe? Not exactly sure, it would take a numer of comparisons on different cars to answer that with certainty and I don't have one example (circumstances didn't permit it at the time and I'm not taking these things off again), but I can say that I've seen a lot of Y-pipes get tested and I've never seen one on my car, or any other, that performed like these headers did; if my results turn out to be average, and they're compared with the average Y-pipe, the header is about 40-50% better. Very crude, very preliminary, possibly better on built engines, but not an ill-founded estimate.

Anyway, I just realized I could get these VG30 headers added into this order and I'm trying to determine if there's any interest. I won't order any more or less, so its not a matter of making more money, but just wanted to see if any third gen owners were "daring" enough to want to get on board for this first order. BTW, these aren't a new design, they've been available in Australia for years.

Bottom line, retail price will be around $750-800, but any more than one or two gen3 headers will have to be secured in advance with a deposit, so on a pre-order basis to the adventurous, I'd knock off $100. Yes, I've seen the Pacesetter headers for far less, and all I can say is that there is no comparability between them. These are very well made and designed parts, by a reputable "down under" performance shop so they're not cheap, but they are less than a comparable V6 header made here. For what its worth, there's not much profit involved given the weakness of the US$ and the major shipping costs so don't think we've inflated the price due to novelty -- more like what is the minimum we need to make to make a minimum order of these fairly substantial parts. If there's not a gen3 market for it, we'll understand.

If there is interest, I'll need a 25% deposit by the end of next week. Production timeline is one month, after which I will ship most of them by sea (which is covered in the price, though shipping from our warehouse in AZ is not). Anyone who wants theirs shipped by air can make special arrangements for that, paying the difference between the cost by sea and cost by air. Sorry about the deposit requirements, it isn't being done this way for the VQs, but these are not inexpensive and I'm not confident enough about the gen3 demand to order any more than are covered by commitments.

I'll follow the thread, but feel free to write to me with any questions at bcatts@earthlink.net. I also need to hear directly from anyone who has decided to order and I can provide instructions for the deposit.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
bcatts@earthlink.net
Old 06-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

wow more mods for the VG...good luck on the sales.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:44 AM

Damm if only I had a VG to put these on. The top end of a VG needs all the help it can get.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i hope there is enough demand in the long run for these so they can be made available without custom-ordering.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:13 PM
Destroying The Hopes And Dreams of Honda Owners Everywhere!

i am interested but i have a few question first. How much will the intial deposit be? also i have an aftermarket y pipe already will it be able to bolt on or would it need custom fabrication ie welding etc to get it to work with it? is it possible to order just the headers themselves or would i need to use the y pipe included with the product. I hope there is interest as it would be great to have more products for us vg guys. also if i were to pay the deposit, what forms of payment do you accept( paypal, credi cards, money order etc.) and about how long or when would the balance be due. Would it be paid in full after the headers are made, before , or in some kinda installemnt plan? Finally if i put down the deposit is it refundable if i dont like the product or decide to back out due to financial reasons etc.? thanks. i'm sure these questions are on alot of people's minds who are interested or even remotely intrigued about this new oferring for the vg30e. So please post your reply on the forum and the financial details etc to my email @ Manalo1@comcast.net
Old 06-29-2003, 09:20 PM

cattman emailed me with answers to many of those questions. it replaces the y-pipe. the rest stays.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:03 PM

damn, the VE gets left out.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by todamax

well. at least us VG guys have a fair chance to bolt-on our way to the 190hp you VE guys already have. i'd bet if the demand is there they'll prolly make a VE header. but the VG needs all the help it can get. even the headers are not enough of a fix for it.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:59 AM

So how much are we talking about in full?
Old 06-30-2003, 11:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have a 91 SE 5 speed. Are these one piece? How does the cat attach? Diameter? Mandrel bent?
Old 07-01-2003, 07:20 AM

Australian customers...

In case you didn't get my email, is there any chance of swinging a deal whereby I can pay you and you arrange to have the headers shipped directly to me from the fabricator since I'm in Australia?

More importantly, are these guys in the business of producing a single turbo header set-up that I would need where there would be a connecting pipe between the 2 headers with one single outlet for the turbo? Can that design be easily submitted to them or am I going to just have to wait until my motor is done so I can get the headers made to measure by Liverpool Exhaust?
Old 07-01-2003, 07:40 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by Red91SE
Have a 91 SE 5 speed. Are these one piece? How does the cat attach? Diameter? Mandrel bent?
read read read...

two piece 3 - 1 which would equal the 6 - 2 - 1 design. it will bolt directly to the cat like the Y-pipe does now. I would bet a set of these headers they're mandrel bent...
Old 07-04-2003, 09:39 AM

what about the gasket? where the headers bolt to the block are they going to be stock gaskets? or are gaskets going to come with the headers?
Old 07-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I know I would buy a set right now.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:09 AM
dmontzsta

well maybe if he gets more VE sales before the VG, he can tell his overseas place to do the VE...especially if there is more sales

Old 07-04-2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by dmontzsta
well maybe if he gets more VE sales before the VG, he can tell his overseas place to do the VE...especially if there is more sales
Yeah, so are you in or out?
Old 07-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

IN
Old 07-04-2003, 11:16 AM

well, thats two of us... Should we try to get some momentum on this?
Old 07-04-2003, 11:39 AM
dmontzsta

I am out...just making the suggestion...I have another project I am working on.

Old 07-06-2003, 01:13 AM

So what is going on with this post? How do those who want to buy get one? How much is the total price with shipping? really would love to get my hands on a set. I'm in Hawaii by the way.
sukoshiyoshi
Old 07-06-2003, 08:55 AM

HOW MUCH????????????
Old 07-06-2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by furious max
HOW MUCH????????????
READ!

$700-800 is a lot!

damn, id be really interested if they made them a little more affordable..
Old 07-06-2003, 01:51 PM

Yo bud I was reading!! He said he would drop like a hundred dollars or something. I just wanted to know the finaly price with shipping and everything!! Who ever started this post can you post up the exact figures....not from some one who is not gonna buy anyways. I am very interested and would like to get my hands on them.

sukoshiyoshi
Old 07-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

the price is high but If I read correct you would be getting the Y pipe which would cost you a few hundred by its self anyway Im down for VE ones I have the money now.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

the price is pretty justified seeing as how this is a from scratch product...try and find a decent TIG welder who will make a quality production piece 6 cyl. header setup(tubes, flanges, downpipe section, etc.) from scratch for less! just hope the gains are worth it!