3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Question about KS TSB Sub-Harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 06:36 AM

Question about KS TSB Sub-Harness

I read the sticky about the Knock Sensor TSB, and that there is an available sub harness that may reduce "heat soak." In order to install this harness do you have to go through all the stuff normally required to get at the Knock Sensor, or is it a simple plug and play thing? I couldn't find any detailed descriptions of people who did the TSB thing. If you have to take all the stuff off to do this it would make more sense to replace the Knock Sensor at the same time.

David
Old 09-05-2003, 10:19 AM

Yeah!!! What He Said!

Yeah, I had the same question. I'm always afraid to ask here, though. It seems like people get ****ed if they've heard the same question more than once in the past ten years. Everybody's like, "hey look at the dork who didn't read the FAQ's". I have read the FAQ's, and still I can't find any further info on this. Well, I ordered the sub harness today, and paid my $50 through my local dealer (who assures me the part will be here Tuesday). I haven't been able to get my hands on the actual TSB, though. That might be of some help. Anyone out there know where to find it? Thanks for your kindness, everyone.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

Question. If you use the 470k ohm resister and it improves the performance, does that mean the subharness is bad?
Old 09-05-2003, 11:37 AM
STFU n00b!

possibly. check the resistance on the KS side of the harness and see what you get. it should be around 470k ohms or so. if it's more than about 600k, then the subharness is bad.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by maximad
Yeah, I had the same question. I'm always afraid to ask here, though. It seems like people get ****ed if they've heard the same question more than once in the past ten years. Everybody's like, "hey look at the dork who didn't read the FAQ's". I have read the FAQ's, and still I can't find any further info on this. Well, I ordered the sub harness today, and paid my $50 through my local dealer (who assures me the part will be here Tuesday). I haven't been able to get my hands on the actual TSB, though. That might be of some help. Anyone out there know where to find it? Thanks for your kindness, everyone.

You are so right. It seems that when someone asks a serious maintenance question, they are always flamed and refered the the incomplete FAQ and stickies and are told to do seach on a half-assed search engine. However, when some posts a question about performance parts, such as CAI, Y pipes or turbo mods, no one objects even though these questions have been asked a million and one times.

Now as for the issue, I have used the 470k ohm resistor with great results. The important thing to remember about using the resistor is to ensure that you use high-octain gas. Also, if you reconnect the connector for storage, ensure that you have insulation in there to prevent a short that will negate the effectiveness of the resistor.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by DARHAW-MAX

You are so right. It seems that when someone asks a serious maintenance question, they are always flamed and refered the the incomplete FAQ and stickies and are told to do seach on a half-assed search engine. However, when some posts a question about performance parts, such as CAI, Y pipes or turbo mods, no one objects even though these questions have been asked a million and one times.

Now as for the issue, I have used the 470k ohm resistor with great results. The important thing to remember about using the resistor is to ensure that you use high-octain gas. Also, if you reconnect the connector for storage, ensure that you have insulation in there to prevent a short that will negate the effectiveness of the resistor.
Thanks, Darhaw! I feel totally validated!