3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

turbo VG30E

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 02:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah really... you don't need another car. you could ride a bike or a moped, lol.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:19 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

speaking of getting a turbo done in a month , hows your project going??

Originally posted by mtcookson
yeah really... you don't need another car. you could ride a bike or a moped, lol.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:22 AM

:sigh:
some people never learn.
you could turbo a car in a weekend if you know what you're doing.
i happen to know. but some of the other *** clowns on here would struggle at changing plugs.

so i leave you with this. pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:33 PM

the question is >>> how do you want to turbo it? i mean, i saw a writeup in one of those magazines where some guy turboed his honda for like 200 bucks and a weekend. so, yes, you could do that. so i take back my **** and vinegar reaction.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
speaking of getting a turbo done in a month , hows your project going??

my engine is being a bish. i think i'm just flooding it out which my s-afc is to blame for that. i don't know if it's hooked up or setup right or what.

there's also one thing that i can't understand. i get great compression on all cylinders... yet i seem to be getting air coming out of cylinders 2, 4 and 6 (the front bank). i check the timing belt and it's lined up fine and i check ignition timing and it appears to be fine. i'm baffled on that one.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mtcookson
[B]

"my engine is being a bish. i think i'm just flooding it out which my s-afc is to blame for that. i don't know if it's hooked up or setup right or what."

as i do not know you or anything about your specific project, how have you decided to mount the intercooler? have you removed the a/c? did you do headwork with cams and such? if so, with the notably implicit hp gains, how are you handling fuel injection, pump, and your MAF? moreover, what was the hp goal that you went for? did you use the T3 or did you go hybrid? did you relocate the battery? with ECU did you go JWT? how far did you rebuild the engine if at all?

i ask this stuff because i want to know *how far* you went into this; did you go all-out with this?

i am just not convinced that someone can do this the right way in a weekend.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:34 PM

Re: turbo VG30E

Originally posted by drivin2theMAX
What all do i need to do a turbo set up on a VG30E. i searched but found limited info. any help at all could be of some great help. Thanks Guys.
if you have already tried these, then pardon me, but these may help you:

(if thread is still there):

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=1

and try this out:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&pagenumber=2:)
Old 07-24-2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by bonzelite
subs,

i know you are all for the turbo, as a lot of us are, and it is a cool sort of 'maxima ****' fantasy, but, dude, go home. you don't know the half of it, sunshine. i will overlook your naive post and only mildy flame you as you are a fan of the VG.

ok. at least admit that you will have to have your mommy drive you around for a "month." or you can take the bus.
i know im going to get flamed more for saying this but i still stand by my statement. i spicificly stated that if done by somebody that knows what there doing and if it was kept simple it could be done in 1 month and be tuned very well but i will add that all the basic parts like turbo, intercooler, raw piping and major fuel components be in hand at the start and the person doing it not doing this as a project and still working a 9 to 5 job. i know someone who owns a performance shop that could do this hes told me he could although he only looked at my car which would be a ve instead of vg and suggested useing a small air to water intercooler instead of air to air for easier piping and less boost loss. i have seen some of the things he has done and i beileve him but a vg could take longer because of the radiator fan situation and maybe alittle more intricate piping with air to air and modifing the bumper suport to fit but still im sure there are quite a few people in the US that could do it but more than likly (no offence to anyone) none of us
Old 07-24-2003, 03:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bonzelite
[B]

"my engine is being a bish. i think i'm just flooding it out which my s-afc is to blame for that. i don't know if it's hooked up or setup right or what."

as i do not know you or anything about your specific project, how have you decided to mount the intercooler? have you removed the a/c? did you do headwork with cams and such? if so, with the notably implicit hp gains, how are you handling fuel injection, pump, and your MAF? moreover, what was the hp goal that you went for? did you use the T3 or did you go hybrid? did you relocate the battery? with ECU did you go JWT? how far did you rebuild the engine if at all?

i ask this stuff because i want to know *how far* you went into this; did you go all-out with this?

i am just not convinced that someone can do this the right way in a weekend.
i'm just wanting to get it going at the moment so it's mostly stock. the turbo is bigger than what came one it due to the old one being broke but the one i got is from the 84-86 300zx and sucks ***** for pushing double digit power. right now i'm just using the stock ecu and controlling fuel with the apexi s-afc 2, which at the moment doesn't seem to be working. more than likely due to the setup or the wiring. when i start building it up my goal is to hit 350 at the wheels.

after doing this i could probably do another one in a month or less easily. this is with all parts being ordered and in my posession before hand mind you! without having the parts before starting the project be ready for it to be a multi-month long project. also, doing it for the first time will make it a multi-month project unless you've studied up and found out everything you need know along with getting all of the parts necessary.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:30 AM

[B]

when i start building it up my goal is to hit 350 at the wheels.

after doing this i could probably do another one in a month or less easily. this is with all parts being ordered and in my posession
Not to burst your enthusiastic bubble here, but it will still take longer than a month because...

1) First you'll have to order custom forged pistons. Now you could still order these before you strip the engine, but if you don't check how much wear your block already has, you may not end up picking out the right oversized piston. Still, you could always order ahead anyway and in the event that the block isn't worthy of those pistons, you buy another block.

Not quite the way I'd go if I knew that my motor was a smooth one to begin with and would like to stick to it (as I have done). Regardless, the pistons take anywhere between 4 - 6 weeks to be manufactured.

2) A good engine builder still needs 2 weeks to do everything properly - from the machining to the assembly.

3) Pipework can be a bit tricky and without knowing what good exhaust joints are like up there, doing intake and exhaust work may mean leaving your car with them for a few days at most. Add to that another week at most for a custom fabricated intercooler.

4) Throwing everything back into the engine bay obviously takes longer than getting it all out first. It can be done in a day, from morning to night, but plugging in all the rubber hoses that our VG's have ... ugh. I've taken photos galore at the time of disassembly and even with the Nissan workshop manual, I'm still a bit worried that a bolt or hose will be missed. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on another Maxima to compare to.

5) EVERY project has a snag of some sort and that throws a further delay to the project. Sh_t happens dude.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't aim for a month. I'd aim to get the job done properly and let time take its course accordingly. If done properly, I'd give it 2-3 months.

Unfortunately, because I was easy going with my first engine builder, it's been 1 year and 4 months since I pulled the motor out to start on the project and I'm pis_ed! With the new builder, the block was being precision honed and assembled and that's been 2.5 months so far and hopefully the block will be back at the local builder I handed it to in order to complete the top end (heads have already been ported and polished for turbo).

Then again, my project is a 500 - 550hp (crank) project. My aim is to get 420hp down to the wheels. You can be sure I'm not leaving a single stone unturned.

As for the rest of you guys wanting to check out my website - patience, grasshoppers. I haven't had enough time on my hands to update my webpage with progress reports on the turbo.

Rather, I'll be dedicating the time I'll have once the project has been completed to compose a web site which will comprehensively go through all sections of the project, from as simple as the battery relocation to the MoTeC ECU set-up. Just keep an eye out. I'll post in a separate thread hopefully by around November this year.

(And yes, DEFINITELY get yourself another car to drive around ... I've got an old Ford wagon I've always had since I started playing drums at live gigs).
Old 07-24-2003, 09:18 AM

whats with this custom crap?
you don't need forged pistons for anything. i don't see him going over 10 psi here.

please do not spout off on things you do not know about, this being one of those subjects.

want proof? look at the vq turbo set up's
enough said
Old 07-24-2003, 09:47 AM

yeah, those are things that are way being what i'm doing. i just wanted to run stock jdm vg30et power for now. that's at 215 hp and whatever torque. all that required me to do was throw the whole engine in, change the sensors, relocated the turbo, and have custom intake piping and exhaust piping made. i'm not even running an intercooler at the moment. once i get the base setup running, and running good, that's when i'll start doing the big stuff. heck, i may even build up my maxima engine for a while and do everything you're talking about to it and make that my turbo engine. then all i would have to do is drop it in and move all of the sensors back over and crap and watch my tranny blow into pieces. (it's not quite that simple but you guys understand what i mean)
Old 07-24-2003, 11:34 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

people talk, talk, talk yet they have not one lick of hands on experience doing this. but ah well....just speaking off personal experience though...if that has any merit.

Originally posted by subs1000w

i know im going to get flamed more for saying this but i still stand by my statement. i spicificly stated that if done by somebody that knows what there doing and if it was kept simple it could be done in 1 month and be tuned very well but i will add that all the basic parts like turbo, intercooler, raw piping and major fuel components be in hand at the start and the person doing it not doing this as a project and still working a 9 to 5 job. i know someone who owns a performance shop that could do this hes told me he could although he only looked at my car which would be a ve instead of vg and suggested useing a small air to water intercooler instead of air to air for easier piping and less boost loss. i have seen some of the things he has done and i beileve him but a vg could take longer because of the radiator fan situation and maybe alittle more intricate piping with air to air and modifing the bumper suport to fit but still im sure there are quite a few people in the US that could do it but more than likly (no offence to anyone) none of us
Old 07-24-2003, 12:45 PM

i know i dont have any hands on experiance installing custom turbo setups i never said i did but if you would like i can give you the shops number and the guys name that said he could do it and you could talk about it why it could or could not be done in one month
Old 07-24-2003, 12:55 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

like I said...thats "shop talk"...any shop will tell you what you wanna hear until they are knee deep in **** they didn't think was gonna happen. plus unless the shop is on the car 8hrs a day with more than 1 person, theres no way. look at how long it took that shop to make Redmax's custom turbo for his 4th gen, several months to this day its still not fully tuned and this is a FULL TIME CUSTOM TURBO SHOP suggested by Custommaxima. if it takes more than a month to tubro a 4th gen, then what do you think it will take for the more difficult 3rd gen, its not just slap VGT manifolds on and drive away? I could talk to that guy you're suggesting all I want, but point is I've been through it and he hasn't so his assumptions of how quickly he could do it have NO merit to the actual hands on experience on Max O/Ds car! when someone puts up and turbos their 3rd gen in one month I'll shut up and retract my statements
Old 07-24-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm needing a caw

Sure. I bet the header fabrication place near me could do it in a month. Especially if they used a JWT ecu. Takes alot of the tuning questions out of the deal. As long as you provided all the parts and the shop wasn't busy. But I would also have to be prepared to hand them near $3000 or so before it was out the door. That's my estimate for JUST the piping. No coating, extra labor to deinstall it for gaskets, coating, no oil line work, no coolant line work etc.. all the little crap that takes time to do. Guages, blah, blah....

Originally posted by subs1000w
i know i dont have any hands on experiance installing custom turbo setups i never said i did but if you would like i can give you the shops number and the guys name that said he could do it and you could talk about it why it could or could not be done in one month
Old 07-24-2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Bryan H
whats with this custom crap?
you don't need forged pistons for anything. i don't see him going over 10 psi here.

please do not spout off on things you do not know about, this being one of those subjects.

want proof? look at the vq turbo set up's
enough said
Forget the VQ's, I'm talking standard VG pistons in a 350bhp setup as he is ultimately aiming for. It's going to take a little more than 10 PSI to achieve that and those pistons will crumble under that kind of power.

As his starting point, if he wants to just get the turbo up and running on a little less power, fine. But to get that much hp at the wheels, THAT'S where my argument regarding the forged pistons comes into play.

So next time you want to shoot your mouth off, be a little more thorough in reading what you're about to respond to.

And if you think I know nothing about setting up a turbo in a Maxima, I strongly advise you consult with a few others on this board who have seen the progress of this 500hp (crank) project.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:29 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think it might be hard to compare the VG-t with a VQ-t. Not from a strength issue but from a head flowing issue. I don't think the sohc heads flow nearly as well as the VQ dohc 4 valve heads. Hence the 160hp vs 190hp from the same displacement. So if yo want to gain hp, you will have to do some headwork like The Max did and/or up the boost to force more air though. Of course that means more pressure on everything else in the engine. So if 8psi gets 80-90hp on a VQ, it might only make 50-60hp on a stock VG. Just my guess
Old 07-24-2003, 06:43 PM

And if you think I know nothing about setting up a turbo in a Maxima, I strongly advise you consult with a few others on this board who have seen the progress of this 500hp (crank) project. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thats what I was goingto say The Max. I've been on here for about a year & I think I have only actually seen 2 people do this!!! Where in Aussie u live, I live in New Zealand & thought about doing this too. But I will probably either go with supercharger or nitro. Found out that either will cost me around NZ $2,000. KiwiMR2 knows a few people who can do this for me.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by EdzMax
And if you think I know nothing about setting up a turbo in a Maxima, I strongly advise you consult with a few others on this board who have seen the progress of this 500hp (crank) project.
Thats what I was goingto say The Max. I've been on here for about a year & I think I have only actually seen 2 people do this!!! Where in Aussie u live, I live in New Zealand & thought about doing this too. But I will probably either go with supercharger or nitro. Found out that either will cost me around NZ $2,000. KiwiMR2 knows a few people who can do this for me. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm a Sydney-sider. But as for your project only costing you $2000 for a supercharger, are you serious??? I was considering supercharger, but without sacrificing the A/C (hey, I need my creature comforts!) it's impossible to spin it unless you've figured out a way to mount and drive the supercharger from the transmission side of the engine bay.

As for nitro on $2k, I can definitely believe that. I spent about AUD$1200 for the NOS system (#5123) about 4 years ago and have never looked back. If anything, it's because of that friggin' 100hp shot that got me inspired to seek more power!

Go for it man. It's an expensive but unique project. I don't plan on advertising this car like some ricers do, which is why I've kept it looking as bone stock as possible, but there's plenty of avenues for going wild on this and make heads turn. It's something different, but more importantly for me, it's something that I've always felt I wouldn't trade for the world, so may as well put more power into it rather than something that has been done to death like a Skyline or whatnot.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:49 PM

subs,

dude. 'pology for the harsh flame. i get frustrated when people minimize the depth of this project.

i hear you.

-bonzelite