3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Totaled Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 05:34 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Totaled Maxima

I'm now Maximaless thanks to some *** driving a 02 3000M
who like to take chances and try to cut in front of people. On 6/26
coming back from my lunch break, I was hit head on at simi-highway
speed by the driver in the above mentioned car. I lost my best
friend that day, Maxine (91 Burgundy Pearl SE). Maxine as been in my
family for 10 years and she as served us well. I took ownership of
her at the age of 16 when I first started driving.

Maxine had every available option that could be had in a 91' SE,
including ABS, Level II Suspention option. I had a few basic mods to
her, on of which saved the engine from coming further into the
firewall, my FSTB which I ordered from Courtesy Nissan. I'm not able
to drive right now due to the injuried I sustained, and I'm not able
to work my full time Job at Carmax in Laurel, MD. I'm using my
recovery time to do some research on another Maxima, possibly a 6th
Gen Maxima (I'm loving that ugly Orange color with the orange
leather).

I know the Maxima dosen't have the highest crash test ratings and
mine didn't have a SRS airbag, but my car saved my life by the way
it buckled out and away from my head (I'm 6'2 and with a sunroof
headroom was slim pickins), and I suffered no head injuries AT ALL.
Sorry to carry on about my misfortune, but I miss my baby, she has
never left me stranded anywhere, when they tranny went out, I was
still able to drive her 15 miles home.

Just a word of advice to everyone out there, just becareful while
driving, look twice before you jump out to beat a light, because the
life you take my be your own or someone elses. I almost lost my life
that day due to someone else's carelessness. Think twice.

The 300M

Old 07-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to hear about your car, bro. You can alway get another one!
Old 07-09-2003, 06:19 PM

geez, that sucks, the carelessness of that man, i dont know what exactly happened , he was probably testing his "chrysler tuned sport suspension" which doesnt really work. anyways. sorry to hear about ur car, at least u can move on with maximas. did u have a website? with pics of the car in its good condition, id like to see some of those.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:28 PM

geez, that sucks, the carelessness of that man, i dont know what exactly happened , he was probably testing his "chrysler tuned sport suspension" which doesnt really work. anyways. sorry to hear about ur car, at least u can move on with maximas. did u have a website? with pics of the car in its good condition, id like to see some of those.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:33 PM

Good to hear you are somewhat ok Also good to hear it treated you good while you had it.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:57 PM

I'm glad to hear your okay. Thats one nasty crash. Hope to see ya in another 3rd gen soon. And I call first dibs on the Black leather seats if their available and in good shape. If it's possible, I would also like to get the 4 inserts in each door panel so it would match the leather
Old 07-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Way out West

Glad to hear the injuries aren't serious. It's good to see that these cars are so well made as to save us when we need it. I'm also glad to hear you are getting another Nissan.

If you part it out, I want the lid to your console if it's in good shape
Old 07-09-2003, 08:44 PM

Holy crapola.

Well, at least the most important part of the moving car was not hurt.

I have the driver airbag in mine, and I'm glad it's there. That other driver must not be too bright. How old was he? Were you going through an intersection? Kinda looks that way, at least from the angle it appears to have happened from.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:55 PM

well it looks like a head on hit.man how fast was he going and you going. i hope that you get a good large lump sum of $$$$$.. you will be the only guy with a 6th gen and have turbo on it. or has it already been made>? I am glad that your doing well, and that your maxima saved your life. Its a really bad hit, Take things easy and take your time in the healing process. Good luck to you and what you do. Hope that yu get better.. my regards. Izzy
Old 07-10-2003, 01:04 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Surprisingly he was an older guy (42), I had just turned 22 on the 6/15. I had the green light going through the intersection and I remember a late model GMC Envoy trying to make it through, and I was able to slow enough to give him time to make it through. By the time I took my foot of the brake pedal and blinked my eye, there was this 300M in the intersection that I was in. It was too late for me to react, I never saw this car coming, its like he just darted out and we hit head on. I was d going between 30-40, in a 35 zone. I was on my lunck break, and I had 30mins to spare, so I was in no rush to get back. But all this happend around rush hour.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:17 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

As far as parting out my car guys, sorry. I'm not going to pay my insurance company to buy it back. I live in South East Washington DC, I have no place to even put the car, but if someone would like to buy it from my insurance company please let me know, and I'll see what I can do for you. You must arrange for your own pick-up of the car and all the fees.

The leather was in exellent condition, no tears, drying or cracks. The only thing thats in my car that I could not get out was my wiring harness from my audio system (XM, Subs, AMPS, CD Changer, headunit) I had to leave my head unit in the car because thats totaled, it wasn't even worth removing.
It was a Pioneer DEH-P6400 with a direct connect CD changer. (I have the changer) I was able to save the Subs, Amp and box ( Two Rockford Fosgate HE2 10" Subs with enclosed box, Rockford 700s Amp and two Rockford Caps) Just my little set up. This car was built so well that I didn't need any dynamat. Only God knows how much I will need on any newer Gen Maximas. By the way, I'm not selling my system, its and expensive system, it was part of the perks (employee Discount) for working at Best Buy when I brought it. I will be putting up some pics of my car before the accident so if anyone wants to check them out you can, just go to Http://briefcase.yahoo.com/Big_brotha_luv_dc
Old 07-17-2003, 03:46 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Hey guys, just an update on my situation. As I told everyone that there was no witnesses at the scene of my accident who cared enough to stop. But thanks to today's advanced technology and today's traffic monitoring system. The police were able to tell me that I was in a controlled intersection. They have yet to view the tape to see who was at fault (highly doubt it was me) but its good to know that there are cameras around when you need them. I will keep everyone posted. Also new pics updated at Http://briefcase.yahoo.com/Big_brotha_luv_dc
Old 07-17-2003, 04:34 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

I saw this when you posted it in the Yahoo newsgroups.... sorry to hear about it, dude.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:17 PM

Man, sorry to hear about the loss. Get well soon. You can always replace a car, but replacing people is another story.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:19 PM

ouch, glad you were ok
Old 07-18-2003, 02:11 PM

I feel your pain....Had a pearl 92 SE which was totalled in a 50mph head-on. Six months later bought a 94GXE which I totalled precisely 2 days (yes that's 1-2 days) after the purchase. I then had to resort to a real piece 89 SE for two years until I could get decent insurance again. I'm now back in business with a 93SE DOHC(VG). Each time I felt like I lost a good friend too, even with the weekend affair. Then you get behind the wheel again and it all comes back to you. My accidents were not my fault either, but you're right...it does make you a lot more aware of others and the idiotic things they do which could affect you. Start saving cause whether they determine it to be your fault or not your insurance is gonna rape you...you'll always have the memories!
Old 07-18-2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by burtreynolds
I feel your pain....Had a pearl 92 SE which was totalled in a 50mph head-on. Six months later bought a 94GXE which I totalled precisely 2 days (yes that's 1-2 days) after the purchase. I then had to resort to a real piece 89 SE for two years until I could get decent insurance again. I'm now back in business with a 93SE DOHC(VG). Each time I felt like I lost a good friend too, even with the weekend affair. Then you get behind the wheel again and it all comes back to you. My accidents were not my fault either, but you're right...it does make you a lot more aware of others and the idiotic things they do which could affect you. Start saving cause whether they determine it to be your fault or not your insurance is gonna rape you...you'll always have the memories!
My '93 is a VE not a VG; that'd be a dumb swap!!! j/k VG diehards...its been a long day and brain likes to shut down
Old 07-18-2003, 08:19 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by burtreynolds

My '93 is a VE not a VG; that'd be a dumb swap!!! j/k VG diehards...its been a long day and brain likes to shut down
Old 07-18-2003, 09:37 PM

Hey man, sorry to hear about ure car. At least u r ok. Like sum of the guys said, U can replace ure car, but not ure life. I'm just as tall as u & feel comfortable in my max just like u. Get well bro
Old 07-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Thanks guys. I'm very blessed to have survived that accident. Considering that I had a hard time breathing at the time of the accident. I literally had to fight for my life, which isn't a good feeling. Alot of different things were running through my head at that time, like my family, friends, life in general. So I'm a very blessed man. I would like to thank everyone for your support as I'm still in alot of pain and have a hard time typing (but I'm just so long winded, but I can't help it).
Old 07-22-2003, 12:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Madmax1991
Thanks guys.
Just looked at your photos; Thank God you got out of this one alive. I feel for you; to lose your prise car and suffer from injuries to boot. And, blast it, another georgeous 3rd Gen gone, RIP. Seems like we're losing them at an alarming rate from watching this forum.

Seems like there's more idiots on the road every day; and the cell phone people make drunk drivers look like the most insignicant of hazards. The handling and power of my 3rd Gen Max has gotten me out of more accidents with these vacuum skulls that I can count - but the next one could be inescapable like yours. A Couple of months ago, by neice got slammed from the rear by a guy doing 50mph on the freeway when rush hour traffic was stalled ahead of him. He was still argueing with someone on his cell phone as he as getting out of his wrecked car.

Keep your spirits up, Bro. We're rooting for you. Hope you nail that Moron's hide to a barn door legally when the time comes for the lawyers to settle $$$ damages.