3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Diary of my jdm VE swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 01:35 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Diary of my jdm VE swap

okay somebody had this idea before but after a few posts they didnt really have any follow ups, I know alot of people ask about it but there isnt one thread with the wealth of info in it. So here we go Im gonna post my thoughts and results of it and post updates every 10k after the swap.

Heres is my car as of now

197,000 miles 92 5spd

mods (engine):
Place Racing CAI
Greddy SP catback
smc short throw shifter
luk performance clutch
everything else is stock

what I am going to be adding at the time of the swap
WSP Y pipe
carsound cat
Fidanza flywheel
Under Drive Pulley
ACT HDMM clutch
and changing out the exhaust studs
JDM VE motor with aprox. 30-40k

I am gettng the motor from http://enginereplacement.com I chose them because of there close location to my house and that they have a large selcetion of VE's to choose from and the prices are good. They also check out ok with the BBB. The last quote I got was for $1250

I also want to change anything that would be a good idea to replace while the engine is out. Or anything to keep off the old engine (any suggestions?)

I am going to have the swap done by a shop since I dont really have the time or patients to do it myself. I plan to have the car in the shop by the end of July,
D-sta will most likely be at the shop a few times and I may be as well so Im going to post any comments or problems with the swap, so anyone else who does it can know what to expect.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:40 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

as to why Im doing this, I plan on either pursuing having the turbo built of going with the JWT N20 system, so I want to have an engine with less miles, also I have invested quite a bit of money in the car and with 197k on the clock I dont know how much longer the current engine is going to be able to move my investments around lol.
Also comparing it to other VE 5spd's
D-sta (pretty much fully modded) it doesnt compare, I drove his car and was blown away by the VE's potential, and also disapointed my car's lack of it.

Crazy4maxima- I never really had my car stock (had mods on it before I had it on the road) I got a chance to drive Izzy's stock car for 3-4 hours on a trip and with no mods it performed just as well if not better than my car (with the exception of the clutch and suspension, which are not stock on my car)

As far as prices go with all the new mods Im buying and the engine and install Im looking at just over $3,000.

If you have any comment or suggestions dealing with this subject please post them so this thread can be used in the future for people who want to do this.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I'm still confused as to what car the VE came out of in Japan??
Old 07-13-2003, 02:15 PM

Things to replace

One area to adress is the VTC's, while the motor is out you could rebuild them if it needed it. Next replace all JDM engine sensors with the ones that came from your existing motor. Believe it will give the ECU fits using JDM sensors. Then replace the front/rear crankshaft oil seals, tranny axle seals, clean the intake manifold (you'll probably have to swap it over from your USDM motor), replace the knock sensor (it is super easy now), replace the water pump,T-stat, drive belts, all coolant hose O-rings, install new exhaust manifold studs, replace/fix all the engine/tranny mounts.

Other things to do if money wasn't much of an object is, get the cams reground for better performance. Have the heads ported and valve work done, install custom 11:1cr pistons for NA applications or 8.5cr DETT pistons/rods for turbo duty, bore the throttle body to 65mm.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:21 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

some other threads:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=diary+of+jdm

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=diary+of+jdm

and thanks Nismo87SE anything I should keep off my old engine (my vtc's are still good so I wanna keep those)
Old 07-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

comfusing, yet interesting...I guess its from Europe maybe...cause there was no VE or VG Maxima(J30 chasis or not) in Japan so I'm still confused to how it is JDM?? I was seriously under the impression the VE was a US variant only.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The VE does come in japanese maxima's! The japanese J30 maxima's had the VG and VE just the same as the US. I've got a japanese VE.. The climate control unit has some japanese characters on the screen!
Old 07-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Banned

this sounds really interesting.
i read the other two threads but didn't find a definate answer. are there any differences in power between the jdm ve and the usdm ve?

if you're seriously considering boosting your maxima in the future. now would be a good time check and or replace some of your internals to make sure that they will be abe to handle a little psi. i'm not as technically inclined as some the other guys here but i think they'd suggest the same thing.

good luck with the swap
Old 07-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

When the time comes Ill do it, right now Im not 100% sure
Old 07-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by chchmax
The VE does come in japanese maxima's! The japanese J30 maxima's had the VG and VE just the same as the US. I've got a japanese VE.. The climate control unit has some japanese characters on the screen!
one of my maxima buddies has the japanese climate control unit and is going to swap it. it looks kinda cool but seems a little pointless to me.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:12 PM

nos
Old 07-13-2003, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by shock211

one of my maxima buddies has the japanese climate control unit and is going to swap it. it looks kinda cool but seems a little pointless to me.
Mine is mostly in english, so its ok.. a mate of mine here had one that had all the buttons written in japanese.. that took a little longer to figure out!

So, if my car is japanese, then i have one of these JDM engines? does that make it better than the US spec engines?
Old 07-13-2003, 06:48 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

thats really interesting, didn't think Nissan did that. guess I can't argue with someone who actually owns one.

Originally posted by chchmax
Old 07-13-2003, 10:08 PM

heres a thought i never posed to you.. yea it only has 30-40k miles on it but how do you know the history of the engine, has it been beaten on etc?

why not a US VE engine instead of the japan VE?
Old 07-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

thats the whole deal with buying the so-called "JDM" motors. all the companies claim low miles, but truthfully other than doing a compression test you have no way to tell of the motors past, but that goes for any used motor USDM as well.

Originally posted by Maximan190
heres a thought i never posed to you.. yea it only has 30-40k miles on it but how do you know the history of the engine, has it been beaten on etc?

why not a US VE engine instead of the japan VE?
Old 07-13-2003, 10:22 PM

I wouldn't count on any japanese motor having done only the stated miles! Living in a country where imported cars from japan contribute to a major part of the market, it is not uncommon to find out that cars have done a lot more than stated! It's amazing how many older cars come into the country with extremely low k's on the clock! a friend of mine bought a 1992 bluebird and it had only 30,000 k's on the clock, but the clutch was worn out after 3k and when the tappet cover was removed, it revealed sludge and other things in the motor... The best guess was the speedo had been wound back.. And that's not an isolated case!
Old 07-14-2003, 12:29 AM

As chchmax said, dont count on any JDM motor having the stated kms on it.

I assume your from christchurch chchmax?
im from auckland!

just a question for ya, how much did you mag+tyre combo cost you? im in the market for wheels and dont know what to expect price wise.

and also where did you get your y-pipe made and how much did that cost? :P
Old 07-14-2003, 01:40 AM

Logan, yep, i'm in chch! mag and tyres were $1600 fitted and aligned. Y - pipe was made by magoo mufflers for around $160 - $200. am unsure exactly, as the whole exhaust was replaced at the same time. I see you've got a 91 VE, mine's a 91 also! although i say its a 92 to avoid confusion. Mine was first regd in dec 91.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:43 AM

nice!
did you notice a performance increase when you upgraded the exhaust at all? i think after my wheels i might go for the exhaust if theres some real power gains there, even though these maximas are surprisingly quick standard.. i almost keep up with my mate's `91 mr2 turbo manual! very strange :P
Old 07-14-2003, 04:08 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Logan91VE
nice!
did you notice a performance increase when you upgraded the exhaust at all? i think after my wheels i might go for the exhaust if theres some real power gains there, even though these maximas are surprisingly quick standard.. i almost keep up with my mate's `91 mr2 turbo manual! very strange :P
come on guys stop whoring up the thread, there is a pm function for back and forth questions, as far as why jdm and not US , its hard to find a ve5spd in junkyards around here, I have talked to people who have bought engines from this place and have been very happy.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:11 AM

n34jz good luck with the swap and everything.

i noticed on the older forum topics, says you went with Motorsports i think in woodberry.

Where exactly is this place...i got family all around there might have to scope it out, seems like it might be a future project.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:55 AM

my experiance: rear motor mount doesnt like to come off, i found it easier to unbolt the mount from the crossmember.

axle nuts dont like to come off.

if you're pulling the tranny with the motor, you want the motor side to come out first, make it so the car is able to be lowered (thats more for piece of mind than anything) so you can drop the car and not raise the motor too high....umm...

power steering pump doesnt like to come off..i got impatient so i pulled off the lines and let the fluid leak out.

hope that helps.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:20 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

last time i went they had quite a few VE motors in there.
also they have a lot of SRs in there.

keep in mind not all the motors are JDM..because they have a lot of non JDM motors on the shelf too.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by DanNY
last time i went they had quite a few VE motors in there.
also they have a lot of SRs in there.

keep in mind not all the motors are JDM..because they have a lot of non JDM motors on the shelf too.
well adreis (max420) said he called for his freind and the guy told him he had 50, and joesmax went with his freind for a 240 motor and told me he saw a bunch of VE's, Ive spoken to the owner a few times and I will make sure I get a jdm.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:45 AM
UCF Lexus

damn Jason, hope everything goes well for you
Old 07-27-2003, 01:35 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

UPDATE- 7/27

Well yesterday I picked up the engine and dropped it off at the mechanic, (whos info I will post after I get my car back, for security reasons) All in all I would say it was pretty clean the intake manifold (which Im swapping out for mine) had a bit of grime but Im assuming thats just from sitting, It was pretty complete and included the power steering pump (which is a plus because my current one has a small leak in it), both exhaust manifolds, and the alternator.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:39 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

also in transport the oil pan was dented so that is also going to be swapped out for my current one. I got all of the performance parts I wanted except the UDP which is on back order so that will be added as soon as it is available
Old 07-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

while the motor is out Im also having the exhaust studs replaced and just to recap Im adding the ACT HDMM clutch and Fidanza Flywheel and Car sound Cat and WSP SS Y pipe. so I should feel a good increase in power compared to now.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:43 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

pressure plate above clutch below
Old 07-27-2003, 01:45 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, Y pipe and Cat

hopefully D-sta will be able to take some pictures durring the swap and we can add those too.

again thanks to Diego and Izzy for helping me out with everything, Ill make sure you guys get hooked up with some Gliptone's and Hero Time
Old 07-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by NismoDrew91SE
n34jz good luck with the swap and everything.

i noticed on the older forum topics, says you went with Motorsports i think in woodberry.

Where exactly is this place...i got family all around there might have to scope it out, seems like it might be a future project.
hey sorry it took so long to answer this but they are right off Old Country road by the starbucks by Wantagh Pkwy, the were very helpfull and it looked like they ran a pretty big operation. As far as service I would deff. recomend them.

I paid a little over $1100 for my engine, they can ship and deliver but I delivered it myself.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:27 PM

Wow I live pretty close by to that.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: UPDATE- 7/27

Originally posted by N34JZ
Well yesterday I picked up the engine and dropped it off at the mechanic, (whos info I will post after I get my car back, for security reasons) All in all I would say it was pretty clean the intake manifold (which Im swapping out for mine) had a bit of grime but Im assuming thats just from sitting, It was pretty complete and included the power steering pump (which is a plus because my current one has a small leak in it), both exhaust manifolds, and the alternator.

you might also want to replace the water pump for good measure.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:32 PM

Have you got a phone number for them? Since I live on the other end of the country I can't really 'drop by'. I've been looking for a new engine but all the engines around here are $1500 or more and they have over 100K miles.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Spipedong90
Have you got a phone number for them? Since I live on the other end of the country I can't really 'drop by'. I've been looking for a new engine but all the engines around here are $1500 or more and they have over 100K miles.
its on their website 1(866)JAPAN-NY

ask for Doug I belive he is the owner and thats who I dealt with.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:30 PM

man all i can say is that the ve engine looks bigger out of the max. Damn bro, good luck with every thing. You almost done with your mods and you hvae almost a brand new max
Old 07-27-2003, 07:17 PM

want your new engine cleaned?
Old 07-27-2003, 08:01 PM

Well today some stuff came off......the hood, strut bar, intake, battery, and a couple of harness connections. Tomorrow Andy takes over and hopefully tomorrrow afternoon it will be ready to come out but the tranny has to come out so he'll be doing that first. I will be going there tomorrow after work and taking pictures and posting them later on that night. So far so good J.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:46 PM

excuse my ignorance..

but i still dont get it. other than availability, what is the point of the jdm engine? as if an engine swap wasnt hard enough, why make it harder with a japanese engine? are there any benefits?

walka
Old 07-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by Walka
excuse my ignorance..

but i still dont get it. other than availability, what is the point of the jdm engine? as if an engine swap wasnt hard enough, why make it harder with a japanese engine? are there any benefits?

walka
low milage is what i always hear.

Quick Reply: Diary of my jdm VE swap