3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rewire tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 02:27 PM

I wanted to rewire my tail lights so that i dont have the yello blinker anymore and my outside stop lights would act as blinkers but still be on when i have my lights on...are there any other ways to rewire lights besides this and can it e done??? Help Craig! Thanks
Old 02-05-2001, 02:44 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

heres what i did
i said fu** it with the yellow and all i did was use the inside brake light as the blinker it actually looks better then the outside. works fine, no yellow, legal and original
Old 02-05-2001, 06:06 PM

I have mine set up so that the outside red and yellow are on when the lights are on and they get brighter when I hit the brakes. The inside red is used for the turn signal. Looks pretty cool from behind, kinda takes you by surprise.
Old 02-05-2001, 07:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yes, I can tell you how to do that. I don't have time right now, but I'll try to do it tomorrow while I'm at work
email me if I dont post anything tomorrow
craigbrace@hotmail.com
Old 02-05-2001, 07:58 PM

ummm why would you want to do this? the yellow light draws attention to other drivers that you are turning. the human eye is the most sensitive to yellow and green. by switching to red you are going to a color that the eye is less sensitive to.

besides you wouldn't want to make your NISSAN look like a DOMESTIC now would you?

Fro

BTW what is a maxima GxR??? is this a Canadian or Euro Model I never heard of?

Originally posted by 91MaximaGxR
I wanted to rewire my tail lights so that i dont have the yello blinker anymore and my outside stop lights would act as blinkers but still be on when i have my lights on...are there any other ways to rewire lights besides this and can it e done??? Help Craig! Thanks
Old 02-06-2001, 10:48 AM

Thanks for alkl of the great ideas guys ill try them all out and see which i like best!

GxR is not any actual model i just use it because i had a sentra SeR that got totaled and my max is a gxe so i took out the E and replaced it with at R. Its just a unique user name thats all ! Thanks
Old 02-06-2001, 12:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 91MaximaGxR
Ok, I looked today and heres what to do...
To get it so that the outer light comes on with parking lights (dim) and blinks brighter when you turn on blinker and lower yellow blinker part doesn't do anything at all...
open up the taillight bulb holder assembly (open trunk and slide 2 latches up for each side)
This is a little hard to describe since 2 of the wires in there do different things but are the same color
follow the wires from before the harness to understand what I am talking about.
The wire for the blinker is pink before the harness and light green after it (and is pretty easy to locate since it goes to the blinker bulb).
The brake and parking lights are more of a problem because they are both green/yellow after the harness and both go into the 2 upper bulbs; follow the red/white (this is the one that has power when the brakes go on) wire through the harness and find which green wire it is and trace that one all the way to the outer bulb. The wire will split in two and there is a black connector that does this so that it goes to both upper bulbs. When I say harness side of a wire, that means on the side that is coming from the harness, but after the split.
Cut this wire about an inch or two from the bulb; also cut the wire that is going to the lower blinker bulb (solid light green) about the same length
Now, you will need to connect the solid green wire coming from the harness to the green/yellow wire that is going to the outer, upper bulb; you can connect it with butt connectors, wire nuts, whatever. If the wires are not long enough to touch, just add a length of wire in between them.
Now, your parking light portion of the outer bulb still is intact and makes the dim light when you turn them on, but now the blinker wire controls the brighter part of that bulb. You will be left with the green/yellow wire that used to be going to the outer, upper bulb but is now coming from the harness and has one open end. Just cap off this end because it will still have power when you put on the brakes so if it's just laying around, it could potentially cause a short. I would recommend putting it in a wirenut and taping it with electrical tape, but anyway you want to do it is fine.
Now, close up everything (making sure the brake wire is properly sealed) and try it out.
Repeat on the other side

if you have any questions, let me know; I don't think it should be that hard
note: I didn't actually try this on my car, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. These wire colors are from my 93SE, but should be exactly the same on all 3rd gen maximas