3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

alternator

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 10:42 PM

another friggin problem... i may need a new alternator for my max. b/c i'm in college i can't afford a big fancy one, so is there any difference in the type you have installed? i don't have a system or any other things that drain power, if that helps any.
Old 02-07-2001, 11:17 PM
STFU n00b!

You can buy rebuilt aftermarket alternators for about $90-100 at most parts places. Almost all have a lifetime warranty. a new/reman one from Nissan will cost you at least $200+ install.

no, you don't need anthing fance, but you need to at least replace what's there. the system was designed for an alternator that big- don't go smaller.
hope that helps.
Old 02-07-2001, 11:58 PM

I bought mine for $75 and put it in. Like Matt said, it's got the lifetime on it. Kaleb quoted me $220 for a Nissan Hitachi one. Definately go with the remanufactured unit. I went that route in both of my Maximas and have had no problems.

oh yeah, it's also a pretty easy do it yourself job. Let me know if you want the instructions, I'll post them on my site.
Old 02-10-2001, 12:21 PM

i got an estimate for an AC Delco alternator from the shop and they charge $397... i could use some instructions so i can do it myself, if would man... thanks
Old 02-10-2001, 03:48 PM

I'll get them to you late tonight/ tomorrow morning. I need to copy them out of my Nissan book and I'm on my way out now. Definitely do it yourself. It's not a bad job at all.
Old 02-10-2001, 04:07 PM

Un-hook the Negative battery cable, Jack the car up, take off the tire, unscrew the skid plates and take the side and bottom off. Crawl underneath, unplug and unsrew the wires off the back on the alternator, 2 screw on's and one plug, the plug can be a bit of a *****. unscrew the tensioner bolt that holds the alternator tight for the belt, if you need to take the actual little black bracket off from the oil pan, just remember how it goes back on. Unscrew the bolts at the top of the alternator, there is one in front and one in back. Pull the alternator out, put the new one in, bolt it back up top, screw it back onto the bracket but not tight, just enough to hold it in place, screw the wires back onto the back, plug it back in. Tighten it all up.

Some helpful hints, DON'T BREAK ANY BOLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
What is a simple half hour job turns into a 3 day job, believe me i know!
Also on the new alternator you'll have to push the little slide deal on the top of the alternator back, cause it won't go in unless you slide it back alittle.
It's really easy just look before you do. And remember where and how everything goes.
Old 02-11-2001, 11:38 AM

Here are the Nissan instructions on my homepage:

click "alternator replacement"

http://members.csinet.net/tisch/maxima

Both battery terminals are supposed to come off, the wheel does not have to come off, I also included instructions on the air conditioning belt removal.
Old 02-11-2001, 03:33 PM

You can disconnect the positive, or the negative, or both. It doesn't matter. And it's alot easier to get under there with the tire off.
Old 02-16-2001, 11:04 PM

argh

so i took the max to an AUTHORIZED nissan repair shop and they told me it was the distributor cap and the spark plugs. had them replaced......cap was burned through at the coil and that's why it would short out and die on me. I'm so releaved! HA! spoke too soon---went to the car friday to go to work and she wouldn't start!! i was peaved and didn't understand what was wrong. had her towed back to the shop and they told me it was my battery that was shot. so, maybe now it will be fixed after this. ALSO!! when the tow truck came to get the max, it was a flatbed style, so the guy hooked it up and reeled it in. what happened was the chain put tension on my exhaust and broke it off right after the cat. and it was hanging down. good thing i had my trusty digital camera with me, justin case the towing company didn't believe me about their truck doing the damage. so anyways, they called me later in the evening and said that the shop sent them the bill for my NEW EXHAUST!!! i love stupid people!! you always benefit from their mistakes, such as the guy who just last week decided to ram into my rear fender and cause $1,250 in damage, therefore i am now getting a new set of rims out of it. i think i've said enough, so, thanks for all the advise ya'll.
Old 02-17-2001, 04:01 PM
living out of a maxima...

I'm hearing some alternator (I think) whine when I apply just a little throttle, so I think I'm going to have to replace that badboy sometime in the near future. What kind should I look for if I've got two amps hooked up also (250 and 160 watts each)?