3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

would 65w/45w headlight bulbs melt the harness?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 07:07 AM

would 65w/45w headlight bulbs melt the harness?

i been using silverstars but am looking for a bit more brightness with the stock harness. would 65w/45w be too much for the harness?

p.s. i have a feeling i might get flamed on this question but if someone knows a write up to this please do point it out...my 28k dial up isnt helping me much in looking up anything. thanks
Old 08-14-2003, 07:33 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

well probably not BUT no other 65W bulb is going to be brighter than the silverstars I dont think. I know my 80W 9006 (blue) bulbs that came with my BMW lights arent even as bright as the silverstars.

If I dont get projectors I am going to get some silverstars to replace my low beams.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:47 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

oh and its not really the brightness thats the problem but more so the design of our lights and the sorry 9004 bulb. Thats why I say you really will not do better than the silverstars.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by awsm66
oh and its not really the brightness thats the problem but more so the design of our lights and the sorry 9004 bulb. Thats why I say you really will not do better than the silverstars.
awsm66...i had been using sylvania xtravisions and i was totally satisfied with the way they lit the road...infact more than happy.

but one burnt out so i decided to try the silver stars...yeah they were real nice and blue and bright...but the beam just wouldnt "spread" like the xtravisions. the silver stars tend to have a very focused " small patch of illumination right in front of the car. my recent experience in rain at night forced me change them. They just dont illuminate the road (specially when the road is wet) ahead of me besides a small spot right in front of the car. as opposed to illuminating the surrounding area as well.

the xtravisions were nice and bright in all conditions.

i didnt get the xtravisions again since the place near my home doesnt have them anymore but had these 97% Xenon filled 65w/45w bulbs that i decided to give a shot.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:30 AM

maybe aftermarket harness would help increase brightness ...
Old 08-14-2003, 11:32 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by drstillpatient

awsm66...i had been using sylvania xtravisions and i was totally satisfied with the way they lit the road...infact more than happy.

but one burnt out so i decided to try the silver stars...yeah they were real nice and blue and bright...but the beam just wouldnt "spread" like the xtravisions. the silver stars tend to have a very focused " small patch of illumination right in front of the car. my recent experience in rain at night forced me change them. They just dont illuminate the road (specially when the road is wet) ahead of me besides a small spot right in front of the car. as opposed to illuminating the surrounding area as well.

i didnt get the xtravisions again since the place near my home doesnt have them anymore but had these 97% Xenon filled 65w/45w bulbs that i decided to give a shot.
I think that is the second time I have read someone say that.

I wander how a difference in a light can do this especially since its the same design but the only difference is the brightness.

Oh well try the lights you are talking about because I dont think they are high enough wattage to hurt anything...actually I think that is the stock wattage anyway.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:57 PM

yeah the silverstars shouldn't melt the harness. they do use stock 45/65 wattage. i've used them for about 2 years now with no problems.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by drstillpatient

so what color exactly is the xtavisons, i mean the color of the light? is it stock or what?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:18 PM

I understand what he is talking about Mike. I did my E-36 conversion and have my silverstars in right now, and its not as bright as I hoped for. By High beams are great, but it does seem like the low beams just light up the area in front of the car. I was thinking that maybe I just have the aimed incorrectlly.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:28 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by Gjohnson
I understand what he is talking about Mike. I did my E-36 conversion and have my silverstars in right now, and its not as bright as I hoped for. By High beams are great, but it does seem like the low beams just light up the area in front of the car. I was thinking that maybe I just have the aimed incorrectlly.
all I know is that I had stock, cool blue, and silverstars in my stock headlight housing and the silverstars are by far the brightest and best off all of them not to mention they are brighter than the 80W blue bulbs in my E36 lights. The E36 really doesnt have a great beam pattern either except for the projectors.

I also did a H4 conversion on my Jeep and put silverstars in it. That is the best lighting I have ever had in a vehicle. I know thats really not saying much but it is great. I am going to go with some projectors and HIDs in the max eventually.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by awsm66

I think that is the second time I have read someone say that.

I wander how a difference in a light can do this especially since its the same design but the only difference is the brightness.

Oh well try the lights you are talking about because I dont think they are high enough wattage to hurt anything...actually I think that is the stock wattage anyway.
I think i read somewhere that the difference in the lumens (dunno how to spell it) and the color temperature effect how the bulb illuminates the road, cuz these two factors make all the difference in how the light reflects off objects.

no doubt silverstars are bright...but their light doesnt scatter like a stock bulb since their color range is totally different. for some reason the yellow (stock) color bounces back off objects more easily than white. specially in the rain. i guess thats why even with HIDs, newer cars come with yellow foglamps.

i think you are right with the idea that our headlights just arent designed for whiter light.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by maxima2k2

so what color exactly is the xtavisons, i mean the color of the light? is it stock or what?
the xtravisions are basically stock (yellowish) color halogen lamps but claim to have 20% brighter light than ordinary halogen lamps. I found that to be pretty accurate.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:21 PM

mine got melted on the driver side but not the passenger someone told me it depends on what kind of shape the plastic is in. i have replaced both since then to try to avoid this problem again
Old 09-06-2003, 07:11 PM

I tried using the higher watt ones but they kept exploding inside the healight housing and I had to take the headlight housing out to empty the broken bulbs out of them.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:16 PM

you're prolly weren't being careful enough to not touch the bulbs. the oil on you skin likely caused those bulbs to burst.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:12 AM

No, I never touched the bulbs, I know not to. There wasnt any condensation in the leanses either.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:53 PM

you're gonna melt em
anything other then white colored bulbs requires more voltage and creates more heat, hence melted plugs.