3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Suggestions to replace Bose head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 02:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Suggestions to replace Bose head unit

I have the stock Bose head unit and speakers in my '93. I have been through a total of 3 head units now, and I'm tired of having the radio crap out on me within 8 months of replacement. I want to replace the current head unit with something that sounds good and doesn't cost a fortune. I'd really like to have satellite radio too. Could someone please suggest a simple, easy to install unit that I can use with the stock Bose speakers? Thanks
Old 09-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Jsmith73
I have the stock Bose head unit and speakers in my '93. I have been through a total of 3 head units now, and I'm tired of having the radio crap out on me within 8 months of replacement. I want to replace the current head unit with something that sounds good and doesn't cost a fortune. I'd really like to have satellite radio too. Could someone please suggest a simple, easy to install unit that I can use with the stock Bose speakers? Thanks
First, I think you should consider saving up the money and ditching the bose stuff. It will save you time and trouble down the road. My car has an Alpine HU and the Bose adaptor in it (professionally installed). All four speakers/amps are screwed up after just a couple of years use. Bose doesn't seem to "play well with others" when it comes to adding aftermarket equipment.

Personally, I recommend Alpine (try the CDA-9807, plays MP3s and is XM ready). There are other good HUs out there, and everyone has their own preference.

good luck
Old 09-01-2003, 09:21 PM

I have an Sony XPLOD series head unit. It has 52w per channel (x4).

It BANGS loud with the factory BOSE speakers. Almost everyone that gets in the car thinks I have a sub in the trunk when I adjust the bass. The factory BOSE speakers are a "deep throat" speaker which put out a lot of bass, you just need a unit to power them.

It is a reliable unit (had mine for 2 years+), and the new ones are XM sattelite ready, which I recommend,

If you're looking for a quick fix, this is the way to go.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:26 AM

I agree with the above poster about replacing the bose speakers, I replaced my HU with an Alpine 9805, added the RCA L/R AUX input cable ($10 I think) to hook to my IPOD, only replaced the front speakers (and unhooked the back ones) and it sounds great. I may add rear speakers in the future but rear speakers make very little difference and I rarely have people in the back. I went with CDT Audio 6.5 components, they are a little work to install, but well worth it, I don't even have an amp, they sound great off of the head unit, I figure I'll add an amp and maybe a sub if I get money and feel I need to, right now I'm happy with what I got...
Old 09-03-2003, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by negreenfield
I may add rear speakers in the future but rear speakers make very little difference and I rarely have people in the back. ..

For a decent system, your rear speakrs will make world of difference. But then again it depends on how much of an audio enthusaist you are. To me, rear speakers are a must. But what can I say, I took out my amp and subs last week because my cd player quit playing cds and I refuse to listen to my system with the distortion that the radio provides.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
For a decent system, your rear speakrs will make world of difference. But then again it depends on how much of an audio enthusaist you are. To me, rear speakers are a must. But what can I say, I took out my amp and subs last week because my cd player quit playing cds and I refuse to listen to my system with the distortion that the radio provides.
I agree for nice ambient sound rear speakers are a must, but the level of sound you'll receive as a front driver is not that high, and for someone on a budget it's definitely something you can wait on. I've used the fader to turn sound in a decent system all the way to the back, and noticed you can hear very little from the back speakers, then turning to the front sounds good, but of course with both adds a nice (but small) dimension... Just IMO if you are building on a budget, HU and fronts, then amp, then backs, etc, should be the order...
Old 09-07-2003, 06:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi,
I'm fairly new, although I've had a 3rd Gen Maxima since 96 when I bought a 93 SE auto, sold that in 2000. Just this summer, I bought a 93 SE 5spd as my work commuter.

Anyways, here's my question. Can I change out the bose headunit in my car without changing anything else? I'm pretty familier with Bose systems since I had Bose in both of my Legends, but I remember that I had a aftermarket tape player put in my first 93 SE I had, best buy did the install so I don't really know what they did. It seems to me that all they did was put in a headunit harness and matched up the wires to the new headunit. This time I'm going to install the headunit myself, I have a left over clarion headunit my the legend I sold, I want to put that in the max, so is there something other than wiring up a headunit harness that I need to do? Sorry for the long post. Thanks
Old 09-08-2003, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Whitelegend
Hi,
I'm fairly new, although I've had a 3rd Gen Maxima since 96 when I bought a 93 SE auto, sold that in 2000. Just this summer, I bought a 93 SE 5spd as my work commuter.

Anyways, here's my question. Can I change out the bose headunit in my car without changing anything else? I'm pretty familier with Bose systems since I had Bose in both of my Legends, but I remember that I had a aftermarket tape player put in my first 93 SE I had, best buy did the install so I don't really know what they did. It seems to me that all they did was put in a headunit harness and matched up the wires to the new headunit. This time I'm going to install the headunit myself, I have a left over clarion headunit my the legend I sold, I want to put that in the max, so is there something other than wiring up a headunit harness that I need to do? Sorry for the long post. Thanks
As far as I know the bose head-unit only puts out like .5amp. Thats why the small amps are next to each speaker. Personally I don't know of another head-unit you can stick in without SOME modification. Personally I would buy new speakers with a new head-unit and ditch those small amps, which is what I did. Sounds great, and hasn't given me any problems. This is as far as I know- Good luck.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Iron_Curtain
As far as I know the bose head-unit only puts out like .5amp. Thats why the small amps are next to each speaker. Personally I don't know of another head-unit you can stick in without SOME modification. Personally I would buy new speakers with a new head-unit and ditch those small amps, which is what I did. Sounds great, and hasn't given me any problems. This is as far as I know- Good luck.

I would do that if the max is my primary car, I have full system setups in both of my legends. I don't want to put any money into the max, at least not too much, it just need to get me from and to work everyday without the speakers buzzing. Thanks for your reply