3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What should I do with my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 12:59 PM

What should I do with my tranny

Hello again all..... Thanks for answering my last questions but I have more. Is there a way I can tell if my throw out bearing is noisy opposed to my input shaft bearings being noisy. Before I pull the tranny and replace the clutch I want to know if my input bearings are making the noise. If it is my tranny where can I get a good one? I know too many bad shops and no good shops. Is there anyone that knows of a shop that does good rebuilds our sells them outright? I'll ship anywhere and putting it in is nothing hard. The good news is that I have the engine running tip top and it is a screamer even with 180,000 miles. The tranny on the other hand is not happy.

Oh yeah why the hell won't my right turn lamp go off! I've checked everything!

Other news: I am talking to veilside about making a kit for my car, They will do one offs but it costs alot. If anyone else is interested it would help but I warn you..... unless we could get 10 people the cost would be no where close to under 1,000. I'm looking at 2,800 for 2 kits. Sounds stupid I know but this one is my keeper max.

Thanks guys I will talk to you later, I hope you have info that can help me. Gary
Old 09-05-2003, 12:04 AM

eeekkkk! no help on this one..... I'm on my own. Gulp
Old 09-06-2003, 01:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

does it sound like this http://www.paylessfreight.com/Bad%20Tranny.mp3 ?

that's what my input shaft bearing sounded like when it was bad.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:37 PM

yeah, it sounds like that........ What did you do to fix it....... I mean did you rebuild the whole thing or just replace the input shaft bearings? I just haven't had good luck with a tear down and rebuild on these tranny's. Or I could see how long I get with out doing anything...... That sounds like a bad idea.

Has anyone rebuilt these tranny's themselves? How difficult was it, I don't have a bearing press.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:56 PM

i just replaced the input shaft bearing and the differential bearings because they were marked up a little bit. i didn't really think it was that hard to do. my dad and i took the bad bearing off ourselves and just took the hole shaft with gears to a shop and had the new bearing pressed on.

i wouldn't drive around with it like that for too long. i drove my around too long and ended up braking the shaft that the throw out bearing slides on.

like so...
Old 09-07-2003, 05:04 PM

Sorry about your luck. Tranny probs stink!

Originally Posted by GiggityH
yeah, it sounds like that........ What did you do to fix it....... I mean did you rebuild the whole thing or just replace the input shaft bearings? I just haven't had good luck with a tear down and rebuild on these tranny's. Or I could see how long I get with out doing anything...... That sounds like a bad idea.

Has anyone rebuilt these tranny's themselves? How difficult was it, I don't have a bearing press.
I didn't rebuild. I had the same problem and let it go for a while. Eventually the noise got louder and louder. I was going to get my local guy to do a rebuild, then found out the one case was bad. So I bought a junkyard tranny for $400. IT turned out to be bad, too. Got my refund from them finally and couldn't find another junkyard unit. Advance Auto wanted something like $1800 for a rebuilt tranny w/ locking diff. My car sat at the mechanic's for a month. He couldn't find any parts for me, so I finally ended up buying a brand new one from Nissan. I got them to give me their "discount" price. I think it was $2100 or so. (Also, they threw in a nifty anniversary edition shift ****, so THAT was good!)

On the bright side, once he actually got the tranny in his shop, my mechanic got it installed and ready to go the same day. And he was very good to me about the price. (Wayne's Garage, in Harrisburg, PA, in case anyone's wondering.)
Old 09-07-2003, 05:21 PM

i would call this place they seem to have great prices http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33727

and shipping is only around $100 each way so youd still be under $1000

and as for replaceing the bearings yourself it would not be hard at all with a factory service manual but anything other than the fsm wont go into any detail about it so dont go buy a hynes thinking it has it because it dont