3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Stupid friend broke passanger door! need help :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:52 PM

Stupid friend broke passanger door! need help :(

I have an after market alarm installed on my 91 GXE. Stupid guys at audio express really didn't know what they were doing, first disabled my sunroof accidentally, and now the factory alarm and after market one will go off even if the other is disarmed(have to disarm them seperatly every now and then). But sometimes, when the car gets turned off, the it's supposed to unlock, but it goes up and down 3 or 4 times and locks itself again.

So my friend, getting his book out of my car, I unarm it, and he trys the door handle. Again and again, and again, tugging hard on it. I tried unlocking it from the inside, and tried opening, but it won't open! I can't get the door to open no matter what I do!! I can't take off the inside of the door, becuase when it's closed, the inside is pressed in to tight to the interior! What can I do?
Old 09-03-2003, 09:32 PM

Cant even do a friggen search...
Old 09-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

for one the search is working

to take apart the door from the inside i would say take tha passinger seat out the you should be able to take to door panel off and fix the problem
Old 09-04-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
for one the search is working

to take apart the door from the inside i would say take tha passinger seat out the you should be able to take to door panel off and fix the problem
Yeah, I took out the passenger seat (done it like 3x before to try and clean all the carpeting), but still, the plastic part of the door, where you take off the 2 covered up screws is behind the dash. I guess, now that I think of it... I could try taking off the dash, but first would be to try and get off the sideing on the inside, an hopefully something will be there...

I wasn't able to search. I know it's not broken, but it's that to much traffic thing, where it tries for ten minutes, and quits or says it's to busy.

I can't figure out exactly is wrong either, the lock still seems to click up and down, the handles aren't loose....even if I get the inner door off, I'm not sure I'll be ablew to figure out a solution!

Through google, I only found 2 main reccomendations. Cut the door in half to get it out (BS), or they said a nissan/infinity dealership charged them $300 to take the seat out to get to it, so it must mean I'm on the right track..
but the dash?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you should be able to get the panel loose enough to get behind it even if you destroy the panel its not a biggy to get another one, once you can get access to the inside there should be some thin metal rods that are attached to the handle and lock which when pulled on should relese the door if not im not sure
Old 09-04-2003, 01:39 PM

Sounds like you have my problem, began same way as yours. Still havn't fixed it. Dealer wanted about $250 to replace broken door latch. I was able to get enough of the door panel off by removing all but the 2 screws by the dash to get my hand in to try to pull on lock & latch piano wires, but no luck. I understand dealer brakes latch by inserting rod down window opening & hitting it to break. Another thing dealer required me to sign release in case he breaks door panel. If you fix let me know! Good luck.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:19 PM

I'm ****ed at my stupid friend... you're right though, there's this thing, I think it's called a "low jack(?)" that they use at the dealership to get into cars. It slips in between the window, and there's 2 different bars you can pull.... If I can just get the door to open maybe...
Old 09-04-2003, 04:24 PM

In addition to fixing your door, you may want to replace your friend also.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by doomtoo
I'm ****ed at my stupid friend... you're right though, there's this thing, I think it's called a "low jack(?)" that they use at the dealership to get into cars. It slips in between the window, and there's 2 different bars you can pull.... If I can just get the door to open maybe...

I think your talking about a "slim jim". I beleive "low jack" is a type of theft recovery system. Not sure though.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
I think your talking about a "slim jim". I beleive "low jack" is a type of theft recovery system. Not sure though.
Yes, slim jim is the term I was looking for..
Yes, so far, I think I'll either have to use one of those, or take off a large section of the dashboard. I want the 4DSC logo to still work..!

My car is almost pontless except for driving alone if I can't have anyone up front, expecially since the sub makes talking to a person in the back, with even low volume slightly hard...(could turn it off, but it's something that makes the car more enjoyable!)
I HAVE to get this door working... going to bring it by my sisters boyfriends dad (whew), he used to install car audio and alarms, and he may have another way of doing it..
Old 09-05-2003, 12:02 PM

Try the Slim Jim route before you go further. If you can't find one, or don't have the time to play around with it, try a towing company. Most towing guys are pretty skillful with these.
Good Luck