3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

nissanmatic fluid...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 07:23 PM

nissanmatic fluid...

HI guys...
Hats off to those who pulled of these nice changes to site...
Now it is awsome..
It has been a while I asked some question in the forum..

I think it hasn't been asked...in this detail...
I am due for a transmission fluid change.. I feel my car(SE automatic) kind of slow when I start of.. once I reach speed of 30 mph then it pulls of like a maxima.. some times it slips when I start from 0mph at 2-3K rpm. Other wise it runs very well (77K miles)
I know most of you favor redline, amsoil etc...

Has any one tried Nissanmatic fluid.. ? Any substantial improvement after change...?
At the dealer it costs $5.5/quart..

How many quarts should I use if I am just draining it and refilling?
I appreciate your inputs...
Old 09-04-2003, 08:49 PM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by maximalover
HI guys...
Hats off to those who pulled of these nice changes to site...
Now it is awsome..
It has been a while I asked some question in the forum..

I think it hasn't been asked...in this detail...
I am due for a transmission fluid change.. I feel my car(SE automatic) kind of slow when I start of.. once I reach speed of 30 mph then it pulls of like a maxima.. some times it slips when I start from 0mph at 2-3K rpm. Other wise it runs very well (77K miles)
I know most of you favor redline, amsoil etc...

Has any one tried Nissanmatic fluid.. ? Any substantial improvement after change...?
At the dealer it costs $5.5/quart..

How many quarts should I use if I am just draining it and refilling?
I appreciate your inputs...

Nissanmatic equivalent is Dextron III. Amsoil universal ATF supports it, I am sure Redline does it too, make sure you pick the right weights if you go with Redline. I just changed mine not too long ago, you'll need to buy 4 quarts of these bad boys. I would recommend synthetic over dino, not unless you enjoy rebuilding transmission. Also, if your tranny is like mine, it doesn't comes with a serviceable filter. Make sure you buy a tube of Permatex teflon alternative paste. I wasn't fully awared of it and after I changed my ATF, a few drips leaked every now and then. But it's no biggie, I could live with it. So, that's my 2 cents there, hoped that help.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:15 AM

Nissanmatic no different to good quality Dextron III - just costs more because of the stealership. You may want to do 2 changes, a week apart - oil in the torque converter won't get changed the first time around and any nasties in the old oil will still get into valve body. Good chance second change gonna get some more of old oil out - a little expensive but with regular oil changes, it'll keep tranny going for longer.

If you don't have an aftermarket oil cooler fitted, I'd def recommend one. Our trannies are also used in Nissan 4 cylinder cars - in both electronic & standard guises and just don't handle the heat generated by the max. I'm trying to figure out if JATCo had an "upgraded" valve body in a later model nissan - the valve body causes most problems which in turn wears out the friction clutches & bands.
Good luck with tranny
Old 09-05-2003, 11:51 AM

If you max is a 92-94 se auto, then it'll need 5.5 qts for a drain and fill. The other tranny requires less.

I'm using Royal purple Syn, and its been great.

If you want your tranny to last you should start changing the fluid on a more regular basis. I can suggest to first do a drain and fill with cheap stuff, and do it a second time after a week or two. Then after a few weeks do a drain and fill with syn.

Also invest in a tranny cooler, most people here have one added. Also if you tranny were to die and the dealer were to replace it, they would add a cooler. They're cheap! compared to rebuilding a tranny
Old 09-05-2003, 12:06 PM

have you been to the general maintenance forum about fluid section?n/m

you can disconnect the return line and pump out 1-2 bottle old oil, then add in fresh fluid. do this 5 times and you will have flushed the whole tranny and filled with above 96% fresh blood.
adding a tranny cooler is the best thing you will do to your tranny, period.
personaly, i use Mobil-1 synthetic ATF. with added cooler, the rebuilded tranny ( when i bought the car 3 years ago @100K miles) has served 60k miles, taking me across the country in extremly hot summer and cold winters.
still shifting smoothly and running strong.
good luck.
denga
Old 09-05-2003, 02:17 PM

YOU SHOULD TAKE IT TO A SHOP THAT HAS A FLUID CHANGER. When i changed my trans fluid in my 91gxe it took 16qts. They will disconnect one of the lines from your trans cooler and connect the machine in series with your cooler. the machine replaces the fluid and adds new fluid at the same time .(totally flushes the whole trans)