3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Mysterious noises coming from the front suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 06:02 PM
94c Big Max

Mysterious noises coming from the front suspension?

Hey guys, I have been noticing some weird dragging noises coming out of my front suspension, everytime I made a full turn (left or right). I think it's my control arm bushings are getting worn out. But that's my only feeling, how do I go about proving it? Anyone know much about the control arm bushings and a cheap place to buy them?

Also, whenever I drove over a medium size crack in the road and made a quick turn, I heard a loud popping noise (a big bang) coming out of the front suspension. Could this be possible that the ball joint are getting beated? How do I go about proving it's bad? I originally thought that my struts and springs were gone, so I changed them to Eibach pro kit springs and Kyb Gr2 Struts and the problems still persisted. I can't really think of anything that could be cuasing these noises, I hoped it's not my cv joints. When I made a full turn, I don't heard any clicking-clicking-clicking-....noises. I mean, the car drives fine and ultra smooth, except for these minor problems. I just can't seems to get them off my mind, arrrh.

Any suggestions and comments would be great appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by bvtran
Hey guys, I have been noticing some weird dragging noises coming out of my front suspension, everytime I made a full turn (left or right). I think it's my control arm bushings are getting worn out. But that's my only feeling, how do I go about proving it? Anyone know much about the control arm bushings and a cheap place to buy them?

Also, whenever I drove over a medium size crack in the road and made a quick turn, I heard a loud popping noise (a big bang) coming out of the front suspension. Could this be possible that the ball joint are getting beated? How do I go about proving it's bad? I originally thought that my struts and springs were gone, so I changed them to Eibach pro kit springs and Kyb Gr2 Struts and the problems still persisted. I can't really think of anything that could be cuasing these noises, I hoped it's not my cv joints. When I made a full turn, I don't heard any clicking-clicking-clicking-....noises. I mean, the car drives fine and ultra smooth, except for these minor problems. I just can't seems to get them off my mind, arrrh.

Any suggestions and comments would be great appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

yea it's not your cv boots they will generally just click not pop!! I have been having the same problem myself I think it could be the ball joints maybe check your a-frame bushings
Old 09-04-2003, 08:44 PM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by jkmay01
yea it's not your cv boots they will generally just click not pop!! I have been having the same problem myself I think it could be the ball joints maybe check your a-frame bushings

thanks for the suggestion, what is an a-frame bushings? A pair of ball joint aren't ridicuously expensive, they're about $60 for two w/free SH online so I'll get them next time I mess around with the suspension. I am thinking about replacing all of the bushings inside my system, she got 201K on her back, and I don't think any of the past owner did much to the suspension. Bad news, but good thing is I could do something about it. Any suggestions on where to get some good deal on bushings at a great price? I don't really think it really matter much if I had to have OE parts, I am sure aftermarket stuffs will do just fine. Dealers are going to charge me some limps for these requests.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Lil 8

thanks for the suggestion, what is an a-frame bushings? A pair of ball joint aren't ridicuously expensive, they're about $60 for two w/free SH online so I'll get them next time I mess around with the suspension. I am thinking about replacing all of the bushings inside my system, she got 201K on her back, and I don't think any of the past owner did much to the suspension. Bad news, but good thing is I could do something about it. Any suggestions on where to get some good deal on bushings at a great price? I don't really think it really matter much if I had to have OE parts, I am sure aftermarket stuffs will do just fine. Dealers are going to charge me some limps for these requests.
if i were you i would change my bushings to poly-urethan!! Great stuff, much better than the rubber ones that come with the car!! I changed my rear sway bar and bushings on my max check my page: http://members.cardomain.com/jkmay01 poly-urethan bushings give you aquicker responsiveness when driving, the rubber gives a comfy bushy feel= less responsive, while the poly-urethan is a hard plastic that gives you quicker response when in turns or lane changes!!
Old 09-04-2003, 08:57 PM
94c Big Max

if i were you i would change my bushings to poly-urethan!! Great stuff, much better than the rubber ones that come with the car!! I changed my rear sway bar and bushings on my max check my page: http://members.cardomain.com/jkmay01 poly-urethan bushings give you aquicker responsiveness when driving, the rubber gives a comfy bushy feel= less responsive, while the poly-urethan is a hard plastic that gives you quicker response when in turns or lane changes!!

Dude, where can I get these cool stuffs you recommended? It sounded like silicone choice over rubber for the hoses. But seriously, I was having tough times finding an entire set of bushings to swap out with my car. Are there any great site you would recommend? I have a 94 Max Sohc. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:29 PM
94c Big Max

Ok, I found this site:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoit...equestid=71618

So, could you please tell me what is the size range that I would need and how much of these would I need?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:04 PM

How much are cv joints? I hear all kinds of clicking when turning. There are only two joints right? One on each side?

I tried searching but the first term is only two letters, cv, so it tells me it needs to be at least 3. So I searched "Constant velocity joints" and got one thread.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Lil 8

Ok, I found this site:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoit...equestid=71618

So, could you please tell me what is the size range that I would need and how much of these would I need?
sorry not sure on this one!! But my thought process is to say that the taller the bushing is in height that the end result will be a quicker response? I have seen some guys bushings look like 3inches high on the sway bars. try checking suspension techinues page ask the techs there they will be able to tell you, or goto the adicco web page. hope this helps or even better send a PM to the 3rd gen moderators !!
Old 09-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Lil 8

Dude, where can I get these cool stuffs you recommended? It sounded like silicone choice over rubber for the hoses. But seriously, I was having tough times finding an entire set of bushings to swap out with my car. Are there any great site you would recommend? I have a 94 Max Sohc. Thanks.
I thought the 94 max's went with DOHC set up that was what gave it some more power, pretty sure it is DOHC, not like the older models in our gen like mine
Old 09-06-2003, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy719
How much are cv joints? I hear all kinds of clicking when turning. There are only two joints right? One on each side?

I tried searching but the first term is only two letters, cv, so it tells me it needs to be at least 3. So I searched "Constant velocity joints" and got one thread.
The CV joints are built into the drive axles. There two on each axle. An inner and outter one.

Best thing to do: change the axles. Doing this is pretty easy and will ensure that you have good inner and outte joints and boots.

Cost: about $110.00 (after core charge refund) for the two.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:49 PM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by DARHAW-MAX
The CV joints are built into the drive axles. There two on each axle. An inner and outter one.

Best thing to do: change the axles. Doing this is pretty easy and will ensure that you have good inner and outte joints and boots.

Cost: about $110.00 (after core charge refund) for the two.

www.thepartsbin.com is selling them for $70 each after core deposit w/free SH. Just make sure you're not in NJ or they'll charge you taxes but even with taxes, that's no biggie.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:42 AM
94c Big Max

I thought the 94 max's went with DOHC set up that was what gave it some more power, pretty sure it is DOHC, not like the older models in our gen like mine

Actually, jcwhitney doesn't have one made specifically for the 3rd gen. After calling around, I've found one company that actually made a high quality polyuranthe for all of the suspension bushings. There are 4 of them in Australia. One of them I was able to find is

www.noltec.com.au

and you could order them at:
www.oztek.us

I just ordered the control arm bushings for my car, it might takes a while for them to ship from Australia but I could wait. For anyone elses interested, I highly recommended that you order now or before the 10th of each month becuase that's when they made their order to ship to the US.