3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

i need help asap!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 01:38 PM

i need help asap!!!!!!!!

whats up org? ive been gone for a while but im back! i was blessed enough to spend my summer at the beach, only problem was i had to leave my baby behind, not cool. well anyways when i got home i found my car dead????? no power? not sure why??? and also my car has abolutely no brakes??? i have a couple thoughts on that. the power maybe just cuz it sat for 3 months without being started? maybe? and the brakes maybe air got in the lines and they just need to be bleeded??

somebody anybody help me out a little bit?? thanx
im open to any thoughts or opions,
Old 09-05-2003, 01:58 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

as for the power the battery is most likely dead. Not sure about the brakes. They dont work at all ? what does the petal feel like. i need more info.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

definately sounds like a dead battery. i would get the battery replaced before you do anything about the brakes. if it is doing anything like mine the brakes seems to disappear if it sets for a while but once you get it started and pump it a few times it goes back to normal. probably has something to do with the power assist brakes or something.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:40 PM

i let the battery sit on a power charger for about 2 hours today and the car started right up but the brakes still go down to the floor?? theres is no resistance at all the petal just goes all the way down and the car slowly stops? could it be air in the lines?
Old 09-05-2003, 05:05 PM

yeah, you'll need to bleed the brake lines.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:51 PM

ok thanx fellas
Old 09-06-2003, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by maxine89
i let the battery sit on a power charger for about 2 hours today and the car started right up but the brakes still go down to the floor?? theres is no resistance at all the petal just goes all the way down and the car slowly stops? could it be air in the lines?
If there's air in the brake lines, you've got a leak. If the pedal goes to the floor before barely working, you've got a BIG problem. BTW - Power booster is operated by engine vacuum, not by engine itself. Vacuum hose has a one-way valve that keeps boost pressure up even with engine off. If pedal going to floor, def not the booster . I'm assuming the brake light on dash goes out once park brake is off - indicating good fluid level. If this the case - suspect seals in master cylinder may be leaking - check to see if brake fluid on the inside of firewall by brake pedal - sometimes leak thru booster. A friend of mine drove around for months with barely functioning brakes & I ended up having to rebuild master cylinder & replace rear shoes & wheel cylinders.
Check all the brake hoses for cracks & all connections for leaks.
If you have drum brakes on the rear, check the wheel cylinders to make sure one hasn't seized & leaked.
Check front caliper pistons as well.
If brake fluid level low, add fluid & get someone to pump brakes while you look for leak.

FYI - In the good old days, if you left your car unused for a few months, you'd put it on blocks or jacks to stop brakes from seizing & disconnect battery.

Good luck
Old 09-06-2003, 02:55 PM

yea i definitley should have jacked the car up before i left, i cant check the brake lines yet because my dumbas landlord locked my garage while i was gone and all my tools are inside! i did check the firewall and there was nothing. then i also had my bro pump the brakes while i checked under the hood and the was no leak and the resevoir was completelythe same as when i left??????
Old 09-06-2003, 03:23 PM

Yeah, I agree with nismobaron. If your pedal is going to the floor, then you have serious, brake problems.

When I departed for the desert (military) for a three to four month deployment, my GXE worked fine when I returned. During that entire time, I had the negative battery terminal disconnected. Otherwise, it sat in my squadron's parking lot for the entire time. No brake or any other problems.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:47 PM

yea i definitley should have jacked the car up before i left, i cant check the brake lines yet because my dumbas landlord locked my garage while i was gone and all my tools are inside! i did check the firewall and there was nothing. then i also had my bro pump the brakes while i checked under the hood and the was no leak and the resevoir was completelythe same as when i left??????
Master cylinder seals are shot - the brake fluid is leaking past them instead of being forced to each wheel cylinder / caliper. If you can get a seal kit, rebuild it. Otherwise get a rebuilt unit or buy new - don't get second hand from a junkyard.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:42 PM

ah crap... i should have know that. that happened to my SE once. if i remember correctly the dealership charged about 140 for the total repair. that definately worked though.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:45 PM

but if the brake fluid is leaking shouldnt i be able to see where its leaking from? or at least notice the resevior going down? its still full? and ive been pumping the brakes for like 10 min for the past 3 days???
Old 09-07-2003, 10:05 PM

but if the brake fluid is leaking shouldnt i be able to see where its leaking from? or at least notice the resevior going down? its still full? and ive been pumping the brakes for like 10 min for the past 3 days???
Re-read my last post. You don't have a brake leak - the seals in the master cylinder are shot. The seals force the brake fluid down the lines to activate wheel cylinders / calipers using hydraulic "pressure".
The master cylinder has two brake circuits - normally it's a split diagonal system where one circuit works front/right - rear/left and other circuit opposite sides. When you press brake pedal, you push 1 piston against a spring which pushs the second piston (which has a return spring). The seals are at the end of each piston. The brake fluid is normally trapped between piston & seals and is forced down the brake lines. When they're worn or damaged and you press on the brake pedal, the fluid passes by the seals from one piston to the other & drains into the fluid reservoir. Only a small amount ends up getting to the calipers - that's why brakes barely work once pedal hits the floor.

By new or rebuilt unit. If you rebuild master cylinder yourself, remember to hone out master cylinder bore or seals may not work properly.

Old 09-08-2003, 03:39 AM

Nismobaron's got it.

Although I've never had brake problems with the maxima, I have on the mustang.... fun fun fun! I've spent just under $400 and the only thing left on the car that hasnt been changed would be the brake pedal assembly, and the hard lines on the car (except for the front drivers.... I'm still working on that).

I've never heard of air seeping into the lines or anything like that from just sitting before. In my case, my front wheel cylinder, drivers side, was leaking, but not past the rubber boot. so you couldnt tell that it was until you took it apart, also I think my master cylinder was on its way out aswell.

4 wheel drums, non power assist. Fun times
Old 09-08-2003, 06:43 AM

now that i think about it, i think letting it sit for a while without use may have something to do with the master cylinder going out. I think mine went out after I got my transmission replaced. I had it sitting on jack stands for 2 or 3 months and when I finally fixed the transmission and put it in the master cylinder went out shortly after.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:39 PM

ok i guess i now i know what i gotta do, thanx for the advice