3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My rear discs use different sized pads? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 10:28 AM
1992 Maxima SE

My rear discs use different sized pads? WTF?

Changing rear pads on rear disc of maxima for the first time?

the pads on the driver side are smaller than the passenger side rears?

whats up with this?
Old 09-06-2003, 11:57 AM
1992 Maxima SE

nevermind....after some swapping out and comparinjg parts at the store, someone in the past must have decided it was a good idea to put 240sx calipers on the rear driver side.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are the 240sx calipers larger than ours?
Old 09-06-2003, 01:04 PM
1992 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
Are the 240sx calipers larger than ours?
nope, smaller. the pads themselves are about an 1 inch smaller from ear to ear. when we were comparing.

The maxima calipers look the same as the 240sx, just the maxima is wider to support the larger brake pads.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Menel
nope, smaller. the pads themselves are about an 1 inch smaller from ear to ear. when we were comparing.

The maxima calipers look the same as the 240sx, just the maxima is wider to support the larger brake pads.
You should change the caliper back to max-spec or the other side to 240sx so they are a matched pair. Having different calipers & pad sizes is gonna mess with brake balance - less surface area to grip the rotor & longer braking distances. One side is gonna pull harder than the other & overheat quicker as a result - that's dangerous to you & everyone else in an emergency.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:25 AM
1992 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by nismobaron
You should change the caliper back to max-spec or the other side to 240sx so they are a matched pair. Having different calipers & pad sizes is gonna mess with brake balance - less surface area to grip the rotor & longer braking distances. One side is gonna pull harder than the other & overheat quicker as a result - that's dangerous to you & everyone else in an emergency.
also the boot around the piston is torn and a bit rotten on that side.

I put a thread up awhile back asking about the contents of the rear caliper seal kit form nissan, what it contained...that was before I knew it was the wrong caliper

autoparts has the rear caliper for $78, but it was a warehouse item, and would had to drive ~200miles round trip, and I wasn't up for it....father's going on vacation for 3 weeks, once he gets back we'll be doing the rear caliper. he says it should be fine...

but to watch for any brake fluid leakage because if it rains will cause the rears to want to become grippy and lock. had that problem with my previous car that used drums, brake cyilnder in the drums started leaking, and any time moist weather would come around brake would get funky and would lock real easily
Old 09-08-2003, 09:19 PM
STFU n00b!

just buy a used one from a junkyard. a lot cheaper, and you'll have the right parts.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
just buy a used one from a junkyard. a lot cheaper, and you'll have the right parts.
Umm, I'd never recommend getting used brake parts - safety is more important than saving a few bucks...

EDIT: having said that, if you know what you're doing & can tell a good brake component from a bad one, go ahead & use a junkyard item - esp if cost is an issue. If you can afford to replace with reman or new unit, this would be the preferable option.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Menel
also the boot around the piston is torn and a bit rotten on that side.

I put a thread up awhile back asking about the contents of the rear caliper seal kit form nissan, what it contained...that was before I knew it was the wrong caliper

autoparts has the rear caliper for $78, but it was a warehouse item, and would had to drive ~200miles round trip, and I wasn't up for it....father's going on vacation for 3 weeks, once he gets back we'll be doing the rear caliper. he says it should be fine...

but to watch for any brake fluid leakage because if it rains will cause the rears to want to become grippy and lock. had that problem with my previous car that used drums, brake cyilnder in the drums started leaking, and any time moist weather would come around brake would get funky and would lock real easily
Go to www.rockauto.com and order part # 171453A, Left Rear Caliper, Loaded, by Cardone for $83 (plus core $75). It's a remanufactured unit as all will be from auto parts stores.

It'll be at your house when you get back.

Tim
Old 09-09-2003, 06:51 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by nismobaron
Umm, I'd never recommend getting used brake parts - safety is more important than saving a few bucks...
Really? then why have I done several conversions using junkyard parts and NEVER had a problem?! Don't talk what you don't know.
It all depends on the caliper itself, and your intelligence. you can usually tell if a caliper is in decent shape when you pick it up, and you don't have to pay for something that's not in good condition. it's that simple. inspect before you buy. Saving a few bucks is NOT a problem if you have a brain. It's people who don't use it that get themselves in trouble.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Really? then why have I done several conversions using junkyard parts and NEVER had a problem?! Don't talk what you don't know.
It all depends on the caliper itself, and your intelligence. you can usually tell if a caliper is in decent shape when you pick it up, and you don't have to pay for something that's not in good condition. it's that simple. inspect before you buy. Saving a few bucks is NOT a problem if you have a brain. It's people who don't use it that get themselves in trouble.
Sure, you can use junkyard parts if you know what you're doing, but you're relying on someone else also knowing what they're doing & having same degree of experience.
Maybe you can add the disclaimer to your original junkyard post with "not recommended for the novice or those unsure" or something to that effect?

FYI - I'm a former mechanic & have done a few brake repairs myself using junkyard parts over the years.

EDIT: I added my own disclaimer to previous post.