3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Seat belt alarm/relay location needs disconection

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 04:24 AM

Seat belt alarm/relay location needs disconection

My seat belt alarm light and ringer goes off intermittantly even with drivers side belts pluged in. I disconected wire under drivers seat thinking this would disable the alarm, no change (no sure what this wire is for) Where can I disable this alarm?

Had issues with power antenna too, just disconnected power wire while it was in the up position, now it stays up all the time, works fine for me.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:56 AM

I am looking to troubleshoot the same problem in me SE. It is not too much of a bother, but it can get annoying.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:20 AM

Some one must know how to disable this annoying alarm. Any one ????
Old 09-10-2003, 11:29 AM

As soon as I find out what the deal or problem is, I will post the results.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:44 PM

I had this same problem and I figured WHATEVER I know when it is connected and when its not, you should first find out if its the driver side or passenger side that is making it happen then pull the trim (fabric trim piece) at the back side of the seatbelt track out there you will see a couple of thin black wires I cut mine and took some connectors and permanantly connected them together! and all the sudden NO MORE CRAZY LIGHT OR DINGIN!! YAY!!! again I know thats not the correct way but then again there was nothing wrong with the way the seatbelt was working so I figured why not!
Old 09-11-2003, 09:39 AM

The wires under the seats are for the poer seats. If you dont have power seats then it plugs into nothing. Now if you have power seats that is where the wiring harness connects to. If you want power seats then get some off a donor max or junk yard and attach the connectors, viola power seats. As for the alarm chime i get that as well.. its a common problem on se's. Word of mouth is that nissan is supposed to warrent the seat belt for life time. ITs a safety hazard. i learned to live with the chime. If you driving and the chime sounds and the light comes on then just pull the seat belt either the drivers or passengers side, it should go a way. but from what i see it might be a bad connection sensor that tells when the seat belt is attached.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:03 AM

Tide black wires together on drivers side, seems to kill chimes but light stays on. Gonna do passenger side as well.

What are the other two colored wires in that box for beside the black ones for ??
Old 09-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I guess the search isn't working because this has been talked about many, many times before including a write up on which wires to connect in the B pillar so it wont think the seatbelt is unplugged (light and chime off) - the problem is usually one of the shoulder belt sensors. I'm not sure the wire colors though; sorry
Old 09-11-2003, 09:04 PM

The owners manual for our 91 says the motorized seatbelt system has a lifetime warranty. I took it to the dealer today, and they told me the seatbelt light coming on is caused by some defect in one of the motorized belts, but the chime was caused by a door switch. They wanted $111 to fix the door switch, but I told them to just fix the seatbelt which will be free. It won't be ready until Monday, since they have to order a part. I don't expect them to try and charge me for anything, but we'll see when we pick it up.

I'm a little skeptical about the door switch thing, since the seatbelt light and chime always come on at the same time. I have to look at the car when we get it home, it seems like if the door switch closed (or opened) while driving, the dome light would come on. Maybe they were trying to find something to charge me for to make it worth their while!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out, but you may want to look at your owners manual, and check with your local dealer before you start cutting wires and stuff.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:29 PM

Well, after two trips to my local dealer, I got both motorized seatbelts assemblies and the drivers lapbelt buckle replaced for FREE under the lifetime warranty!! The seatbelt warnings now finally work as advertised. It sure is nice driving around without the intermittant dinging and light flashing. And the $111 door latch switch was apparently an attempt by them to fix something they could charge me for to make it worth their while. I checked it per the Chiltons manual and it worked fine every time. They didn't replace it, and everything works like it should.

After taking it in the first time, when they only replaced the lapbelt buckle, which didn't fix anything, I troubleshot it using the Chiltons manual. It has an excerpt from the factory manual which is very good for troubleshooting the seatbelt warning system. I was able to determine that the drivers side shoulder belt latch switch was not working at all, and the one on the passenger side was intermittant. I took copies of the manual with me to the dealer and went through the checkout with the service writer and the mechanic and they agreed that both sides needed replacement. They ordered the parts, and I took the car in when they got them. They were able to install them the same day and we got the car back that afternoon.

I would suggest to anyone having problems with the seatbelt warnings to take advantage of the lifetime warranty on the 3rd gen. cars. It's right in the owners manual. If your dealer balks, try another dealer or call Nissan and raise cain!
Old 10-11-2003, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by pkfinn
Well, after two trips to my local dealer, I got both motorized seatbelts assemblies and the drivers lapbelt buckle replaced for FREE under the lifetime warranty!! The seatbelt warnings now finally work as advertised. It sure is nice driving around without the intermittant dinging and light flashing. And the $111 door latch switch was apparently an attempt by them to fix something they could charge me for to make it worth their while. I checked it per the Chiltons manual and it worked fine every time. They didn't replace it, and everything works like it should.

After taking it in the first time, when they only replaced the lapbelt buckle, which didn't fix anything, I troubleshot it using the Chiltons manual. It has an excerpt from the factory manual which is very good for troubleshooting the seatbelt warning system. I was able to determine that the drivers side shoulder belt latch switch was not working at all, and the one on the passenger side was intermittant. I took copies of the manual with me to the dealer and went through the checkout with the service writer and the mechanic and they agreed that both sides needed replacement. They ordered the parts, and I took the car in when they got them. They were able to install them the same day and we got the car back that afternoon.

I would suggest to anyone having problems with the seatbelt warnings to take advantage of the lifetime warranty on the 3rd gen. cars. It's right in the owners manual. If your dealer balks, try another dealer or call Nissan and raise cain!
Thanks man, excellent info, my SE chimes when it feels like it, I'll take it down to my local dealer next week. When I have a passenger in my car and the dingin decides to go off, they look at my dash and then look at me as if to say What the hell is that? I tell them to myob. Thanks again
Jeff