3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Pop Charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 06:14 PM

Pop Charger

Just installed my Jim Wolf pop charger, **** sounds hella good, has a nice deep growl to it around 4k I love it, cant really sense any gains in low end and i havent driven it on a long enuf street to notice any top end but if anyone has any experience with tha JWT pop charger and can tell me of any gains if any other than sound let me know. Now next thing to do is bore out the throttle body and Y pipe and cat...Thanks lookin forward to your guys input. Peace.

Chris
Old 09-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Its good for a few but helps a lot more with an aftermarket Y-pipe
Old 09-25-2003, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by concord89se
Just installed my Jim Wolf pop charger, **** sounds hella good, has a nice deep growl to it around 4k I love it, cant really sense any gains in low end and i havent driven it on a long enuf street to notice any top end but if anyone has any experience with tha JWT pop charger and can tell me of any gains if any other than sound let me know. Now next thing to do is bore out the throttle body and Y pipe and cat...Thanks lookin forward to your guys input. Peace.
Chris
I think the effect of the JWT venturi ring & filter on their Pop Charger is very underrated. Before I added other performance mods, I added one to my '90 SE (VG30E) with the stock plastic mid-pipe. That alone gave a nice performance boost most noticeable starting at around 2300-2800 rpm (not quite 'low end'). Then I replaced the stock mid-pipe with a mandrel bent mid-pipe from Warpspeed Performance (the lower pipe their CAI kit) . That added about 50% more performance. The biggest effect in both setups was a vast increase in throttle response. This is not additional horsepower, but how fast the engine horsepower is available when you hit the throttle.

Later, when at Warpspeed's shop in AR having a new exhaust including Y-pipe installed, Dallas remarked that it is almost impossible to detect a horsepower increase of less than 5 HP on 3rd Gen Maximas. Going by that, I would rate the JWT Pop Charger alone at 5 HP or better. My past drag racing experience says that's about right. If the WSP mid-pipe increases that by 50%, then that takes the Hybrid setup to around 8 HP.

As a check, Dallas says their Y-pipe , B-pipe, and low restriction muffler on the VG engine gives a 16-18 HP increase. My 'seat of the pants' says the exhaust changes gave me twice as much additional performance as the intake changes. Figured that way, it comes out about the same: 8 - 9 HP for the intake moods. Note this is getting very close to the 8-10 HP rating of the CAI setups, but is still breathing hot air. I'm impressed enough with the JWT/WSP Hybrid to forgo installing the conventional CAI (I have the full WSP CAI kit) in favor of a custom cold air box enclosing the filter on the Hybrid intake which I hope to feed with ram air. If that doesn't work out, I'll go ahead and install the conventional CAI arrangement, but modified to retain the JWT venturi ring and filter on the end. I posted a picture of a CAI/JWT setup done on a Sentra (very similar to a Maxima) along with a picture of my current WSP/JWT Hybrid setup here:

Combining Warpspeed and JWT ???

If this interests you, there's a group deal going on for CAI kits for the VG like Warpspeed's, or you can get just the mid-pipe - See the ad by LittlePiggy in the 3rd Generation Classifieds forum.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the info I think I'll go with that WSP midpipe thing too. and yah i do feel a better throtle response.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:56 PM

BTW how much was the midpipe?
Old 09-25-2003, 07:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by concord89se
BTW how much was the midpipe?
Haven't found the classifieds yet? Ya go to Maxima.org Forums > Classifieds > Parts For Sale/Wanted > 1st-3rd Generations Classifieds (1981-1994).

The post is "3rd gen CAI since warpspeed is sloooooooow". Seems like it's time to get a little search engine action going

Looks like $55 to me plus you'll need two couplings and four pipe clamps. 3" ID truck radiator hose works for the couplings. If you look around, you'll find some 3-1/8" ID marine exhaust hose which is an easier fit to the throttle body inlet to connect the bottom of mid-pipe.