3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Desperate in Ottawa....93 Max GXE

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Desperate in Ottawa....93 Max GXE

Hello, I just want to say that this is good forum and it gave me some good info already:-)
I live in Ottawa and I recently purchased a 93 GXE with 135k on it, Excellent body and clean....I paid 5k for it...Do you guys think it's too much???Would you let me know?
Anyways, here come my problems......
I am getting really, really, crappy mileage on this car, I don't know what it is but I get about 7k per liter or about 25k per gallon.
I think that's kind of bad, honestly, I can almost see the needle go down as I drive!!!!!!!
The strange thing is that the car passed emissions test with flying colors so I don't know if it is the O2 Sensor on it.....could it be?
The transmission seems to shift pretty smooth, so I don't really now about that!!
I wanted to make a little tuneup on the car, like replace the Spark Plugs and Air Filter and Engine Oil.....and maybe even the Transmission oil drained and the Magnets and pan cleaned...
Anyone have any ideas?????
Would you know where I can purchase the good NGK spark plugs?
I called the dealer and they told me they are $3.50 each...are they good??
Does anyone of a good honest mechanic where I can take this car see if they can find something wrong with it??
I honestly never owned a Maxima but this one is just about to leave me flat out broke on the street...I spend about $200.00 dollars a month on gas and I don't even drive that much:-(
PLease, Please let me know if you can help me or post some info, I love this car and I would like to keep it:-)
Thanks, guys
SORRY, about the long post, I just really, badly need help[/b]
Old 10-09-2003, 08:50 PM

Someone'll probably tell you this sooner or later so i'll be the first do a search for all of your questions before making new posts.

For an ottawa mechanic check out www.torontomaxima.com some of the guys on there are from ottawa

I paid about that for my car with rims, hard to find in my area, so it was worth it to me.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:27 AM

I'd hate to say it but yeah you payed too much =/

I got my 1994 GXE over a year ago with 100k for $4400. The people selling it probably could've been talked down further too... they were extremely nice and we only asked for a 100 dollar reduction(well my mom did) and they gladly accepted, lol

I got around 113k now and not one problem. Worst thing that happened was one window regulator crapped out on me. Very common problem in these cars. Very easy to replace.

I too would like to do a tune up. I kind of did half a tune up since I got the car. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, and oil every 3k. Next up is spark plugs and wires. I have no idea how old the spark plugs I'm using now are. From some research on this board I've heard NGK spark plugs and wires are the best. Some people say the NGK coppers are the best for the VG engine. They also happen to be the cheapest but they don't last as long as the platinum/iridium ones. Everyone seems to have different opinions on platinum vs. iridium vs. copper, etc... But I saw a few people agree on copper. I really can't see them making a big difference besides lasting longer/shorter/whatever.

But good luck with it dude.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:06 AM
mod or sell?

Do a search for more info on choosing plugs.
The topic is covered every couple of days it feels like
Old 10-10-2003, 05:53 AM

Keep in mind that that price is in Canadian funds is less than 4400 US
Old 10-10-2003, 07:48 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

well i dont know kilometers so i really dont know how bad it is. miles might help. at any rate make sure all the injectors are firing and that the fuel filter is clean. also check the air filter. however if its as bad as your discribing it it may be the injectors or the MAF sensor. check both. you may need a mechanic with CONSULT to do this.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:22 PM
rcy

Originally Posted by maxinmaxima
Keep in mind that that price is in Canadian funds is less than 4400 US
Also, 135k is 135 000 KILOMETRES not miles. That's 84 375 miles.