3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Throttle Body Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 09:24 PM

I just bought some throttle body cleaner. I read that if you clean out the throttle body you will get better MPG and some extra kick. I was just reading the bottle and it says to remove the filter from the manifold. I don't wanna screw this up so can anyone give me directions on how to clean out the throttle body? And how to get to it (taking it apart and all). Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-19-2001, 08:31 AM
Get Off My Lawn

What the can is probably referring to are the throttle bodies on some of the older fuel injected cars which looked like a regular carborator with the filter on top the engine, not on the side like ours. The fuel was injected through a single injector over top the opening to the engine. Since the filter is right there, that is why the can says to remove it. All you have to do is remove three bolts from the metal peice with attached to the throttle body. You should also go ahead and get some gaskets too for this area. If you just want to clean the butterflies, this is all you need to remove. I don't think that it will be worth your time though unless you do a complete cleaning by removing the throttle body and top of the intake and clean everything. I just did this and it was filthy under there. There are 4 gaskets needed to do this, two for the throttle body, one for the top of the intake, and one for the AAC valve. I think Nissan has the AAC valve listed under emmissions for some reason, last I was told, they are on backorder. There is a right up on the furum for more detailed instructions. Removing the old gaskets is the biggest pain of the job aside from the vaccuum hoses everywhere!
Old 02-19-2001, 09:44 AM
Spaz

What kinda max you got

It's a tad different for the VG and VE

Old 02-20-2001, 01:02 PM
Get Off My Lawn

True, it is different. I took for granted having just done this that it was a VG engine. In short, Pimpo, you don't need to worry about the filter, whether it's a VG or VE the air filter is located on the driver's side fender behind the battery, right? So, as long as you don't spray any cleaner down through the intake tube (which has to be removed to get to the throttle body, right?) then don't worry about it. I still recommend doing the complete cleaning, believe me, the rest of the intake is much dirtier than the butterflys on the throttle body!
Old 02-21-2001, 03:27 PM

I would also like to do this

I understand how to clean the butterflies,but how would i clean out the rest of the of the throttle body and top of intake with the same spray or something diffrent
Thanx
Larry
Old 02-21-2001, 07:28 PM
Get Off My Lawn

On a VG, 1.Remove intake tubing and alumninum port attached to throttle body by 3 bolts. Plugs and throttle lines will also have to be moved. 2. Remove 4 bolts holding on throttle body and all vacuum and 2 coolant lines (which can be sealed!) 3. Remove all hex bolts from around upper intake manifold, I think the size is a six or seven. 4. Remove all lines around upper intake manifold (go ahead and just unscrew the PCV valve and there's another line which I couldn't remove so I just unscrewed the port it attached to), then remove the manifold. The hardest part for me was removing the 11 yr old gaskets (I didn't have a drennel tool)! To clean the alumninum, buy a soft brush like they sell to clean alumninum wheels and spray the cleaner and scrub it a real good! I'm sure there is a better write up, but those are the basics. Aside from removing the AAC valve thingy, I cleaned it too, the gasket for it is on back order though so don't break the one you have. After cleaning mine I had to turn the idle down, it went up to 1,100 rpm's after I cleaned it and had to adjust it down.
Old 02-22-2001, 04:32 PM

Thanx

Chris