3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Amalgamation of 89 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001 | 11:59 AM
carterace1

OK, well i thought I would just list several of the problems that I am having with my 89, in hopes that I will be able to get some answers on it. It has been annoying me for some time now. So here we go.

Number 1- the Engine Rattling sound.
This consists of a metal rattling sound coming from inside the engine (rather loud) that happens when the engine hits about 2000 rpm and again at 3200 or so rpm. It sounts like a piece of something is loose and makes this annoying sound. VC problem or something? I dont know what that is-

Problem 2- Economy.
I get about 170 miles to the tank. I used to get well well over that. Maxima has about 145k on it. Is this the problem? Someone else in the forum said something about the temp control or something. Any info would be useful.

Problem 3- The Door Indicator.
At one time (about when most of my electrical problems started) the Nissan was jumped backwards on a 100% dead battery. This was Wonderful for the electrical system, and now it enjoys playing little games with me. I think it is alive now. While driving down the street, often it will roll the windows down, or not let me roll them down, or roll them up after I roll them down. The sunroof is not affected. The power locks do not work on command either- from the switch or the code console outside. The Maxima also has a short somewhere which makes it think one of the doors is ajar- which leaves the red door open light on the gauge console on all the time, but more importantly leaves the dome lights on all the time. This means I have to pull the electron/bat fuse from the panel. However this also controls the radio, the clock, the code, and the power seatbelts. This is very aggrivating. I have basically found that the window problem is from the driver's side door console control panel being faulty- because it was actually making moorse code noises at me so i just disconnected it which solved the window games (but now my windows dont work). Any ideas where I can get one other than for $120 at the dealership? I have looked on eBay but they are not up there often. Is this the only thing that is causing my doors to not respond to locking? Sometimes while driving the doors all randomly lock, which often happens when I press the window switch, so it makes me think yes this is the problem. Also anyone with insight on where the door ajar sensor relay or whatever is please post.

Problem 4- Tranny.
Another annoying tribulation of Maxima. The transmission shifts HARD out of first gear at about 3200 rpm. Do I need to rebuild it? Is it worth rebuilding it? Also I have to pull the shifter (automatic) almost down to second gear to make it engage in drive. Any ideas?

Problem 5- Timing Belt.
Maxima's engine runs well (ther than the gas mileage, and the annoying rattle) for having 145000 mi on it, but it seems to hesitate when I press the gas pedal. Is this due to the fact that I am 99% sure that the timing belt has never been changed? Since this is about a $500 or so repair, would I be better off to just go ahead and sell the car to CarMax or something (KBB value is about $2100 on it)? Or is it another problem?

Problem 6- Brakes
My brakes often SQUEAL when I apply them. I think I just need new pads and shoes. But i just thought I would ask. It's the front disk brakes.

Problem 7- Knock in the Wheel
Sometimes when I am driving (usually early on after departure) I feel and hear a knock (kind of a deadened thud) near the front right area of the car. Any ideas?

Problem 8- Loss of Power
Often the battery will run down overnight, making the car extremely difficult to start. This could have to do with the door ajar thing, or the window switch. It is often difficult to start in the morning.

Thanks for your time. Any, ANY help will be help. Thanks a million.
Carter
Old 02-19-2001 | 12:50 PM

Do a search, most of this has been brought up before.

Here is some things to search for

Broken Exhaust Manifold bolts
O2 Sensor
CV Joints

Other than that, the timing belt has most likely been changed before, the change intervel is around 60k miles, and it usially won't give any hints that it's about to break, and shouldn't caust any problems with the engine unless it breaks (then bad news your car is toast).

I wouldn't worry about the tranny, signs of it going bad are when it goes into fail safe mode, only 2nd gear I think, or it hesatates(sp) when changing gears.

Get a new battery.
Old 02-19-2001 | 01:48 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

<b>my responses are bolded:</b>
---------------------------------------------------------
Number 1- the Engine Rattling sound.
This consists of a metal rattling sound coming from inside the engine (rather loud) that happens when the engine hits about 2000 rpm and again at 3200 or so rpm. It sounts like a piece of something is loose and makes this annoying sound. VC problem or something? I dont know what that is-

<b>No VTC on 89 Maxima, sounds like slipping belt to me, replace the drive belts ASAP!!</b>

Problem 2- Economy.
I get about 170 miles to the tank. I used to get well well over that. Maxima has about 145k on it. Is this the problem? Someone else in the forum said something about the temp control or something. Any info would be useful.

<b>Replace O2 sensor, and your prob should be solved, you can get one for $63 shipped from JCwhitney.com</b>

Problem 3- The Door Indicator.
At one time (about when most of my electrical problems started) the Nissan was jumped backwards on a 100% dead battery. This was Wonderful for the electrical system, and now it enjoys playing little games with me. I think it is alive now. While driving down the street, often it will roll the windows down, or not let me roll them down, or roll them up after I roll them down. The sunroof is not affected. The power locks do not work on command either- from the switch or the code console outside. The Maxima also has a short somewhere which makes it think one of the doors is ajar- which leaves the red door open light on the gauge console on all the time, but more importantly leaves the dome lights on all the time. This means I have to pull the electron/bat fuse from the panel. However this also controls the radio, the clock, the code, and the power seatbelts. This is very aggrivating. I have basically found that the window problem is from the driver's side door console control panel being faulty- because it was actually making moorse code noises at me so i just disconnected it which solved the window games (but now my windows dont work). Any ideas where I can get one other than for $120 at the dealership? I have looked on eBay but they are not up there often. Is this the only thing that is causing my doors to not respond to locking? Sometimes while driving the doors all randomly lock, which often happens when I press the window switch, so it makes me think yes this is the problem. Also anyone with insight on where the door ajar sensor relay or whatever is please post.

<b>got me on this one, sorry!!!</b>

Problem 4- Tranny.
Another annoying tribulation of Maxima. The transmission shifts HARD out of first gear at about 3200 rpm. Do I need to rebuild it? Is it worth rebuilding it? Also I have to pull the shifter (automatic) almost down to second gear to make it engage in drive. Any ideas?

<b>no big problem!!! just loose bushings, and they cost about $2-3 at Nissan and you or a mechanic can put them in, in about 5 minutes!!!</b>

Problem 5- Timing Belt.
Maxima's engine runs well (ther than the gas mileage, and the annoying rattle) for having 145000 mi on it, but it seems to hesitate when I press the gas pedal. Is this due to the fact that I am 99% sure that the timing belt has never been changed? Since this is about a $500 or so repair, would I be better off to just go ahead and sell the car to CarMax or something (KBB value is about $2100 on it)? Or is it another problem?

<b>replace it now!! if it is the original than your risking your engine getting F'ed up since you're pushing 145k!! get it doe now before you mess things up! might need to replace water pump too!</b>

Problem 6- Brakes
My brakes often SQUEAL when I apply them. I think I just need new pads and shoes. But i just thought I would ask. It's the front disk brakes.

<b>I think your calipers might be leaking or your pads might be bad too, don't let Nissan screw you for calipers, go to carparts and save big money!!</b>

Problem 7- Knock in the Wheel
Sometimes when I am driving (usually early on after departure) I feel and hear a knock (kind of a deadened thud) near the front right area of the car. Any ideas?

<b>CV boots are bad, and most likely leaking, get fixed before axle becomes a problem too!</b>

Problem 8- Loss of Power
Often the battery will run down overnight, making the car extremely difficult to start. This could have to do with the door ajar thing, or the window switch. It is often difficult to start in the morning.

<b>???? maybe the battery is dead and drained!?</b>

Thanks for your time. Any, ANY help will be help. Thanks a million.
Carter [/I][/QUOTE]