3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

shifter moves back when accelerating in 1st gear (5-speed)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 11:37 AM

shifter moves back when accelerating in 1st gear (5-speed)

I been noticing that the gear shifter moves backwards slightly (enough to see it move) as i accelerate and comes back to original position when i let off the gas? but this happens ONLY in FIRST GEAR...all the rest are fine. no problems in shifting as such at all.

anyone know whats going on?
Old 11-01-2003, 11:50 AM
dmontzsta

Originally Posted by drstillpatient
I been noticing that the gear shifter moves backwards slightly (enough to see it move) as i accelerate and comes back to original position when i let off the gas? but this happens ONLY in FIRST GEAR...all the rest are fine. no problems in shifting as such at all.

All manual trannies do that, it is normal.

Old 11-01-2003, 12:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
All manual trannies do that, it is normal.

That's just a transfer of torque occuring. You can feel it in other gears if you rest your hand on the shifter while accelerating/decelerating with the car in gear.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:15 PM

My first manual use to move around so much with accel. and decel. that it almost looked like it wanted to shift the gears itself. Don't worry about it.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:22 PM

yeah i got the "magic stick" shift also.... its normal, but thats all the torque that is being applied..

here is a quick newbie question... can you harm you tranny by resting your hand on the shifter, ei applying force on the top while its in gear.. I am gonna answer my question and say no. ok that was easy
Old 11-01-2003, 11:18 PM
STFU n00b!

a few misconceptions here..
1.. no, that is NOT normal, if it's an excessive amount. that's signs of the engine moving in the engine bay relative to the shifter bushing that's bolted to the car inside the center console.
it's one thing to feel it move a bit when you get on/let off the gas, but it's not normal to SEE it move more than a few mm.. maybe a cm or two, but no more than that.

it's a sure sign that your engine mounts are shot.
last time my shifter started moving like that, here's what I found when I looked under the car:
http://www.mattblehm.com/pics/car/cr...r/IM000109.JPG

crazymofomaxima... resting your hand on the shifter causes the shift forks to ride against the gears and stuff while you're driving. it doesn't cause immediate damage, but it will cause the shift forks to wear quicker, and can be a cause of tranny failure later when the fork breaks and stuffs the car into two gears at once. don't have pics, but it wasn't pretty when it happened to me.

it's one thing to leave lgiht pressure on it, but don't rest the weight of your arm on the shifter, or push/pull on it while driving. it'll wear the forks down faster.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:27 PM

nice to know that the knowledge my uncle gave me when i was learning to drive stick in his 84 corolla, never put pressure on the shifter when in gear.. i just thought it was it was a sorta car myth. nice to see someone actually knows.

my shifter moves but like you stated, just a few mm, not side to sid but notchs up and down slightly
Old 11-02-2003, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
1.. no, that is NOT normal, if it's an excessive amount. that's signs of the engine moving in the engine bay relative to the shifter bushing that's bolted to the car inside the center console.
it's one thing to feel it move a bit when you get on/let off the gas, but it's not normal to SEE it move more than a few mm.. maybe a cm or two, but no more than that.

last time my shifter started moving like that, here's what I found when I looked under the car:

crazymofomaxima... resting your hand on the shifter causes the shift forks to ride against the gears and stuff while you're driving. it doesn't cause immediate damage, but it will cause the shift forks to wear quicker, and can be a cause of tranny failure later when the fork breaks and stuffs the car into two gears at once. don't have pics, but it wasn't pretty when it happened to me.

it's one thing to leave lgiht pressure on it, but don't rest the weight of your arm on the shifter, or push/pull on it while driving. it'll wear the forks down faster.
so Matt...if its ONLY happening in 1st gear...not the others...should i still be looking at the engine mounts?
Old 11-02-2003, 11:38 AM
mod or sell?

YES, 1st gear has the most torque applied
Old 11-02-2003, 01:40 PM
STFU n00b!

yup.. still engine mounts. As internetautomar stated, once you're out of 1st gear, the engine can't put as much torque to the ground, so there's less stress on the mounts.

Think about this for a few minutes.. the drive ratio when you're in 1st gear is something like 12:1.. just a guess since I don't have the numbers with me.. but at 12:1, the ~175lb-ft of torque the engine is putting down is multiplied by 12 through the transmission. that means you're actually turning the wheels with about 2100ft lb torque! that's a LOT of stress on the bushings!

once you shift into 2nd gear, the ratio is about half what your 1st gear ratio was.. so say 6:1. you're now "only" putting about 1050ft lb of torque to the ground. a lot less stress on the mounts compared to 2100ft lb of torque!

make sense why 1st gear is to hard on the mounts now?
Old 11-02-2003, 07:30 PM

yup.. still engine mounts. As internetautomar stated, once you're out of 1st gear, the engine can't put as much torque to the ground, so there's less stress on the mounts.

Think about this for a few minutes.. the drive ratio when you're in 1st gear is something like 12:1.. just a guess since I don't have the numbers with me.. but at 12:1, the ~175lb-ft of torque the engine is putting down is multiplied by 12 through the transmission. that means you're actually turning the wheels with about 2100ft lb torque! that's a LOT of stress on the bushings!

once you shift into 2nd gear, the ratio is about half what your 1st gear ratio was.. so say 6:1. you're now "only" putting about 1050ft lb of torque to the ground. a lot less stress on the mounts compared to 2100ft lb of torque!

make sense why 1st gear is to hard on the mounts now?
YUP! plenty clear and in the process, i finally figured out what those gear ratios meant

just one more thing...while we're on the topic...how much is the labor to have engine mounts changed? thanks
Old 11-02-2003, 07:49 PM
mod or sell?

YUP! plenty clear and in the process, i finally figured out what those gear ratios meant

just one more thing...while we're on the topic...how much is the labor to have engine mounts changed? thanks
Bug me in the AM and I'll check
Old 11-02-2003, 09:19 PM
STFU n00b!

Depending on who you have do it. by the book it will be a few hundred bucks probably. I'll swap all four for a Benjamin (you buy the parts).
come to houston and I can fit you in on Thursday this week.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:26 PM

since this is a tranny related thread. whay is it in 1st and 2nd gear when you are off the gas and letting the max roll on its on power it sorta jerks back and forth, the whole max like a rocking motion.like acc in 1st gear, then let go of the acc and its starts to rock back and forth instead of a nice smooth roll as it slows.. could it be motor mounts?
Old 11-03-2003, 07:05 AM
STFU n00b!

the jerking at low speeds is an engine/sensor/ecu issue. I forget what it is... mine does it too though. IACV, TPS, EGR, it's one of those 4-letter words nobody likes to play with. soon as I get time, I'll try to hunt down the answer and let you know.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:32 AM

found the bad engine mount Matt.. its the right rear mount... on the main engine support beam, its like completely ripped.

I got a qoute for $100 for labor on it...nissan has it for $46. does labour sound right ? cuz the main beam should be pretty easy to take out after supporting the engine.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

cuz the main beam should be pretty easy to take out after supporting the engine.
It isn't technically difficult, just a pain in the ass. I had to pull my y-pipe to get the clearance I needed for my tools. The bolts that hold the crossmember to the frame are TIGHT. Mine tighten against a rubber grommet (as well as I recall) and that made it even harder to break them. But, I was using hand tools while lying on my back. I bet air tools take no time at all.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:59 PM
mod or sell?

found the bad engine mount Matt.. its the right rear mount... on the main engine support beam, its like completely ripped.

I got a qoute for $100 for labor on it...nissan has it for $46. does labour sound right ? cuz the main beam should be pretty easy to take out after supporting the engine.
labor time should be an hour
Old 11-07-2003, 11:34 PM

Sounds like motor mounts to me.

edit: sorry, i didn't read the replies by matt and internetautomar before i posted.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:45 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

oh my god i had the same thing happen to mine !!!