3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Balance Performance for Daily-Drivabilty

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 10:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Balance Performance for Daily-Drivabilty

My goal in next month:
- Upgrade suspension on my 89 Max for improved handling
without sacrificing too much quality of ride.
- To not feel Shell-Shocked at the end of a day driving the
battlefields of NYC, where pot holes swallow cars whole.

Before I start to do needed front end and tires, thought
I would ask our experienced community their opinions on what
they think the effects of the following tweaks would be.
1. if wheel size is increased (from stock to 16”-18”) would it
make for a better ride (smoother/less ripped side walls & bent) rims)
2. Would an upgrade from the stock rubber to Poly Bushings
affect the ride ( + / - )?
3. What effect (if any) would installing after market
FSB, RSB & FTSB have on the ride quality( + / - )?
4. Will be installing 4-new struts(gas?).
Any recomendations on which ones to buy.
In all cases I don’t want to sacrifice all ride quality for the
feel of an Abrams tank........ AD

http://members.cardomain.com/maxryder
Old 11-02-2003, 11:37 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ADNY
My goal in next month:
- Upgrade suspension on my 89 Max for improved handling
without sacrificing too much quality of ride.
- To not feel Shell-Shocked at the end of a day driving the
battlefields of NYC, where pot holes swallow cars whole.

Before I start to do needed front end and tires, thought
I would ask our experienced community their opinions on what
they think the effects of the following tweaks would be.
1. if wheel size is increased (from stock to 16”-18”) would it
make for a better ride (smoother/less ripped side walls & bent) rims)
2. Would an upgrade from the stock rubber to Poly Bushings
affect the ride ( + / - )?
3. What effect (if any) would installing after market
FSB, RSB & FTSB have on the ride quality( + / - )?
4. Will be installing 4-new struts(gas?).
Any recomendations on which ones to buy.
In all cases I don’t want to sacrifice all ride quality for the
feel of an Abrams tank........ AD

http://members.cardomain.com/maxryder
Remember any time you go to a larger rim and keep the same rolling diameter tire your ride will suffer ,unless you buy some cheap a$$ poop boy tires ( their sidewalls suck)
Every upgrade you are considering will affect your ride by making it harsher unless you are REALLY knowledgeable about the parts you are using.
I'm not talking about how it works knowlegable. I'm talking spring rate type knowlegeable. knowing how different dampning rates affect your ride how different sidewalls affect comfort levels etc....
I barely know enough to put together a good package at this point. But I will in the near future. If I can get some tech data out of these companies
Old 11-02-2003, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I barely know enough to put together a good package at this point.
Which is why you just copy what everyone else uses.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

jaguax has good starter's advice: copy the people here.

to live and drive in LA: ST lowering springs 1.5" drop, tokico blue struts, ST FSB, RSB, Stillen FSTB, R32 Skyline rims.

loads of max enthusiasts berate tokico blues, btw. saying they wear out quickly. but i have them and they are fine so far. they are not harsh whatsoever. actually very nice. try KYB GR'2s, though. those are my next purchase when the time comes. better quality according to many on here.

ride quality: will be harsher no matter what you do. especially dropped. and as internetautomar stated, the larger rims you have keeping the same tire diameter (meaning thin rubber-band tires), the more tank-like your ride will be. IMO, 18's are too big for the 3rd gen's body style and proportions. stay with 17" and less.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by bonzelite
jaguax has good starter's advice: copy the people here.

to live and drive in LA: ST lowering springs 1.5" drop, tokico blue struts, ST FSB, RSB, Stillen FSTB, R32 Skyline rims.

loads of max enthusiasts berate tokico blues, btw. saying they wear out quickly. but i have them and they are fine so far. they are not harsh whatsoever. actually very nice. try KYB GR'2s, though. those are my next purchase when the time comes. better quality according to many on here.

ride quality: will be harsher no matter what you do. especially dropped. and as internetautomar stated, the larger rims you have keeping the same tire diameter (meaning thin rubber-band tires), the more tank-like your ride will be. IMO, 18's are too big for the 3rd gen's body style and proportions. stay with 17" and less.

18" are good but many prefer 17" because 18's have horrible ride quality. You feel every bump. I have seen a few 3rd gens with 18's. But the tire size is decreased thus it is not absorbing the bumps better yet pot holes.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by turdlett
18" are good but many prefer 17" because 18's have horrible ride quality. You feel every bump. I have seen a few 3rd gens with 18's. But the tire size is decreased thus it is not absorbing the bumps better yet pot holes.
IMO, 18" runs the risk of looking ghetto chrome and looking like a dwarf SUV. look around at copius amounts of pics to get a better idea. go shopping for images. you will begin to "feel" the look for you as well as the ride quality.

remember, wheels are the biggest part of a car's image: they can either look totally stupid or really sweeten the visual impact; some wheels that look good on one car, look dumb on another.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:32 PM
STFU n00b!

My suggestion for a decent handling max that still have to brave potholes:

ST springs.. they provide the drop, but are softer than Eibach.. sprints are too low for nasty roads.

Tokico Blue struts.. they're the best out there aside from Koni. the KYB are crap. Tokico also have a lifetime warranty, so if they ever DO wear out, send them in and get them rebuilt for free. be sure to keep your factory stuff just in case.

Sway bars will help the cornering, but won't affect the ride much. you will notice a little more impact over potholes and stuff, but it's not bad.

Warpspeed Performance Subframe connectors... a MUST for any 3rd gen that wants to handle well. actually improves the ride quality dramatically too. lessens the effect of the potholes.

FSTB won't change ride quality at all, and will help initial turn-in.

poly bushings don't exist for our cars, so don't worry about that part.

rim size. if you're worried about ride quality, then you don't want to go big. I would recommend 16s.. if you insist on going bigger, then 17 would be the absolute max I wouls go. 18s on these cars almost looks ghetto, and the ride is total CRAP. you'll bend rims right and left on potholes, let alone replace tires because you pinch holes in the sidewalls all the time.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:56 AM

i stand corrected: KYB is CRAP. so all the talk is just that. hmmm. --and happily i don't have those! i have the Tokico Blues! and so many people say those suck, i started to believe them eventhough i am wondering "if these suck, then why does my car feel so good; when does the suck part start?"
Old 11-03-2003, 06:59 AM
STFU n00b!

the 4th gen Tokicos are the ones with the most problems. I don't know why they're so crappy on theirs and not on ours, but it's been pretty well known on that.

the KYBs on our cars have been known to be the next choice down from Tokico if you don't have any money. they're softer and don't provide the performance that the Toks or Konis do.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:02 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
My suggestion for a decent handling max that still have to brave potholes:

ST springs.. they provide the drop, but are softer than Eibach.. sprints are too low for nasty roads.

Tokico Blue struts.. they're the best out there aside from Koni. the KYB are crap. Tokico also have a lifetime warranty, so if they ever DO wear out, send them in and get them rebuilt for free. be sure to keep your factory stuff just in case.

Sway bars will help the cornering, but won't affect the ride much. you will notice a little more impact over potholes and stuff, but it's not bad.

Warpspeed Performance Subframe connectors... a MUST for any 3rd gen that wants to handle well. actually improves the ride quality dramatically too. lessens the effect of the potholes.

FSTB won't change ride quality at all, and will help initial turn-in.

poly bushings don't exist for our cars, so don't worry about that part.

rim size. if you're worried about ride quality, then you don't want to go big. I would recommend 16s.. if you insist on going bigger, then 17 would be the absolute max I wouls go. 18s on these cars almost looks ghetto, and the ride is total CRAP. you'll bend rims right and left on potholes, let alone replace tires because you pinch holes in the sidewalls all the time.
Hmmm.... I sell all the good stuff but the SFCs saves me some money
actually it can save everyone some money. check my sig for the link
Old 11-03-2003, 09:59 AM

strut 101 continues

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
the 4th gen Tokicos are the ones with the most problems. I don't know why they're so crappy on theirs and not on ours, but it's been pretty well known on that.

the KYBs on our cars have been known to be the next choice down from Tokico if you don't have any money. they're softer and don't provide the performance that the Toks or Konis do.
oh... my hanging out on the general forum has exposed me to all of the tokico bashing. and that is dominated by 4th and 5th genners.

inasmuch as there are generational differences in the quality of OEM parts, there are also generational differences in the quality of aftermarket offerings.

as for the 3rd gen Tokico Blues, they are not too stiff but not too soft --a great happy-medium. i would not want a "step down" from that at all in quality or ride-feel. i'm staying with them.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:11 PM

I just got the Tokico / Eibach combo last week and am happy with them. Living in Manhattan I have to say that the ride is a bit rough. I had them installed at Maximum Tuning and loved the ride home on the LIE (kept up with my cuz in a 03 A4 ) BUT!! once I crossed the WillieB it was a whole different story. I felt every bump. I drive allot slower near home now. I just purchased the sub frame connectors from warpspeed performance as well.

If you drive in the city all day the ride might get to you. I was a bit bothered at first, but kinda like it now. I just hope they don't go out on me. I just called Jeff to have him hold onto my old setup (just in case Thanks Jeff)

Good luck
Old 11-03-2003, 01:12 PM

I just got the Tokico / Eibach combo last week and am happy with them. Living in Manhattan I have to say that the ride is a bit rough. I had them installed at Maximum Tuning and loved the ride home on the LIE (kept up with my cuz in a 03 A4 ) BUT!! once I crossed the WillieB it was a whole different story. I felt every bump. I drive allot slower near home now. I just purchased the sub frame connectors from warpspeed performance as well.

If you drive in the city all day the ride might get to you. I was a bit bothered at first, but kinda like it now. I just hope they don't go out on me. I just called Jeff to have him hold onto my old setup (just in case Thanks Jeff)

Good luck
Old 11-03-2003, 01:41 PM
STFU n00b!

Hey chad... got your letter today.. thanks.

What color you want that ground kit?