3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

air bag light

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

air bag light

The switch for park on my sons maxima was out of adj. and would not start. He got someone to try to jump it. Well after he talked to me and I told him what to try, when it started the air bag light stayed on. the clock quit working the seatbelt quit. Brake switch in the dash was on and the keyless entry does not work. I pulled off battery cable for about a min. no help I did not check fuses yet. Is all this stuff controled by the computer. How high is a used one. any sugestion would be appreciated. Dennis
Old 11-07-2003, 06:02 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by bugaboo
The switch for park on my sons maxima was out of adj. and would not start. He got someone to try to jump it. Well after he talked to me and I told him what to try, when it started the air bag light stayed on. the clock quit working the seatbelt quit. Brake switch in the dash was on and the keyless entry does not work. I pulled off battery cable for about a min. no help I did not check fuses yet. Is all this stuff controled by the computer. How high is a used one. any sugestion would be appreciated. Dennis
Jump car = Voltage Spike
Voltage spike = blown fuse or fusible link (more common)
Old 11-07-2003, 06:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Jump car = Voltage Spike
Voltage spike = blown fuse or fusible link (more common)
Would that affect only the few things that I mentioned. The fuseable link sounds like the main breaker. I have not checked fuses yet. That would be nice if it was only a fuse. Dennis
Old 11-07-2003, 06:33 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by bugaboo
Would that affect only the few things that I mentioned. The fuseable link sounds like the main breaker. I have not checked fuses yet. That would be nice if it was only a fuse. Dennis
Cars normally have multiple fusible links. to protect the circuits from Spikes (actually amperage not voltage)
Old 11-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Cars normally have multiple fusible links. to protect the circuits from Spikes (actually amperage not voltage)
any thoughts from anyone else
Old 11-07-2003, 04:19 PM
STFU n00b!

He's right. check the fusible links. they're the short pieces of wire directly off the battery terminal. you'll see they plug into a connector about 5-6" past the batt connector. often, those links get fried when you hook up the battery backwards. (don't ask how I know, but I DO know. )

they may not be visibly damaged though. the wire will burn inside them, but you won't see if cause they're covered in split loom, tape, etc etc.

try turning the ignition on (leave engine off), and pull and push on the harness. if things start or stop working, then it's obvious there's a fusible link problem. replace it and go about life.

If that doesn't do anything, then you need to get out a multimeter and start chasing wires.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:59 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
often, those links get fried when you hook up the battery backwards. (don't ask how I know, but I DO know. )
Just be glad the bat didn't EXPLODE in your face.
that hurts (or so I've been told)
Old 11-08-2003, 10:00 PM

do the interior lights come on when the doors are open?

I blew the fuse for my interior lights and it sent my SRS system into the same failsafe you're describing. Replaced the fuse next to the drivers door and everything was happy.

The FSM doesn't show the airbag system connected to the inside lights, but ti worked. Maybe the lights are on the same circuit that tells the auto seatbelts to open and shut when the door is opened/closed.