3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Replaced right haft shaft, car won't move

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 09:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replaced right haft shaft, car won't move

Replaced the right halft shaft on a 92 SE with automatic. Everything went fine, pulled the old shft out, replaced it with the new one, got everything back together and the trans doesn't really engage in any gear and when I try to put it back in park while idleing I get a grinding noise. If I turn the engine off and put the car back into park I can restart the car and move the selector out of park with no problems and to all other positions without problem (other than it not moving) but I can't return it to park without stopping the engine.

I don't know what I could've done wrong replacing the shaft, to was pretty straight forward. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck
Old 11-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

are you 100% sure you installed it correctly?
did u force the axle into the transmission?..hammer/sledge/etc?

it sounds like the spines are not engaging..IE axle not really in the tranny.
when the car is in drive the tranny/diff spins w/o your axle. when you put it in P it grinds to a stop.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DanNY
are you 100% sure you installed it correctly?
did u force the axle into the transmission?..hammer/sledge/etc?

it sounds like the spines are not engaging..IE axle not really in the tranny.
when the car is in drive the tranny/diff spins w/o your axle. when you put it in P it grinds to a stop.
I've had it out a couple of times now and I know that the shaft is all the way in the trans and engaging the splines as far as it did on the old axle. You can see it on the splines themselves.

The only thing in the book the confuses me is where it shows a pinion mate shaft in the disgram that I didn't see in the transmission, just saw the end of the drivers side shaft, am I missing something here?

Thanks again
Chuck
Old 11-09-2003, 10:16 AM
94c Big Max

might wanna check this article out:

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/402

Originally Posted by midnightbluel81
I've had it out a couple of times now and I know that the shaft is all the way in the trans and engaging the splines as far as it did on the old axle. You can see it on the splines themselves.

The only thing in the book the confuses me is where it shows a pinion mate shaft in the disgram that I didn't see in the transmission, just saw the end of the drivers side shaft, am I missing something here?

Thanks again
Chuck
Old 11-09-2003, 10:41 AM
STFU n00b!

You DID get the correct axle, right?
the GXE axles are a tad bit smaller in diameter, so you may think it's in there properly..........
Old 11-09-2003, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
You DID get the correct axle, right?
the GXE axles are a tad bit smaller in diameter, so you may think it's in there properly..........

also did you refill the tranny fluid?
Old 11-09-2003, 03:18 PM
94c Big Max

yeah, Matt got a good point, I would call up whoever sold you those axles and verify its product code to ensure they're matched cuz retailers have known for making mistakes. Also, if you got a Chilton book handy....I think there is a very good diagram on how the axle is broken down. Check all of the components you got and make sure they're all there and nothing is missing, not even one steal ball either, make sure you got a good amount of greases in those boots too.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bvtran
yeah, Matt got a good point, I would call up whoever sold you those axles and verify its product code to ensure they're matched cuz retailers have known for making mistakes. Also, if you got a Chilton book handy....I think there is a very good diagram on how the axle is broken down. Check all of the components you got and make sure they're all there and nothing is missing, not even one steal ball either, make sure you got a good amount of greases in those boots too.

Thanks for the replys guys.

The axles have both been put side by side and measured and they are the same. I have the Nissan service manual and have seen all the online stuff on it. It's a pretty straight forward change in everything I've read. I'm thinking the trans broke while the car was in the air. The car rolls freely even when it's in park now. So something is also letting the drivers side roll freely and we didn't touch that side. I'm at a loss.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the replys guys.

The axles have both been put side by side and measured and they are the same. I have the Nissan service manual and have seen all the online stuff on it. It's a pretty straight forward change in everything I've read. I'm thinking the trans broke while the car was in the air. The car rolls freely even when it's in park now. So something is also letting the drivers side roll freely and we didn't touch that side. I'm at a loss.
What gear was the tranny in when you broke the huge nut on the end of your cv axle?
Old 11-10-2003, 04:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
What gear was the tranny in when you broke the huge nut on the end of your cv axle?
It was in park, but it was blocked and e brake on and it didn't move but I see where you're going. What part could've broken?

P.S. I didn't loose any trans fluid and it is full.

Chuck
Old 11-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It was in park, but it was blocked and e brake on and it didn't move but I see where you're going. What part could've broken?

P.S. I didn't loose any trans fluid and it is full.

Chuck

Figured it out, The pinion mate shaft fell out of the differential leaving the trans freewheeling, the reason I couldn't get it back in park until the engine is off, also the reason it rolls freely. At 170K I'm just gonna get a Japan Direct trans and put it in, not worth messing with this trans.

Thanks for your help.

Chuck
Old 11-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

..... At 170K I'm just gonna get a Japan Direct trans and put it in.....
a WHAT?
what's a Japan Direct trans?
Old 11-10-2003, 06:50 AM
STFU n00b!

Don't you know JDM trannies put more power to the ground?
Old 11-10-2003, 06:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Don't you know JDM trannies put more power to the ground?

Pretty reasonable replacement tranny, low mileage stuff from Japan, under 50K for about 750. A couple of my friends have used them with good luck and have a local place right down the road.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:41 AM
STFU n00b!

What about a VE 5 spd with limited slip?
mine's starting to act funny, and I've hated this tranny since they put it in. might as well buy another instead of cursing at this one forever.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What about a VE 5 spd with limited slip?
mine's starting to act funny, and I've hated this tranny since they put it in. might as well buy another instead of cursing at this one forever.
I hear ya and would love a 5spd, but I only have one arm, (the left one) and that pretty much makes an auto a must.

You guys know of anything to watch out for doing a trans swap?

Thanks
Chuck