3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3 american cars - toasted.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2001, 07:35 PM

not that any of these ever had a chance, but today at lunch, it was like autobahn to BurgerKing. A 95 Beretta GT had pulled on 3 cars ahead of me. Just behind him was a ford focus and a new monte carlo in whatever sport trim GM offered on the 'carlo. I see the Beretta hit it going up the on ramp, and the other two also. These are the rich boys of our school, and i thought it would feel real good to show up the two brand new cars (focus+montecarlo) as well as beat the "sport tuned" beretta GT. so i downshifted into 2nd and then 3rd and by then i was just behind the monte and focus. they were neck and neck, neither was gaining as they accelerated up to about 95. by then the monte could tell i wanted in, and he slowed enough to let me in. Suprising enough, the oldest car there- the 95 GT was the fastest, and i started reeling him in. Passed him going about 110. he must have hit 100, but no more. later, they all asked how i made my car so fast. my answer? i bought a nissan ...silly domestic boys. The kid w/ the beretta claimed he was governed at 108, anyone know for sure?

although on the same day, i did have an encounter with a lightning and a 93 mustang 5.0 5spd...those didn't turn out so hot. i suprised the lightning, but he started gaining before we took seperate exits, and the mustang killed me until 3rd gear where i stopped getting left behind so fast.

cant wait for a POP charger...

-thanks for listening
G
Old 02-22-2001, 07:46 PM

hell yeah

I raced a 4.6 mustang gt with intake and exhaust from a 20- 90 with my VE auto and we stayed side by side the whole time, all through several punch runs. The guy driving the mustang asked "what the hell you got done to that..that's nice!"...I told him nada damn thing and thats when he told me he has intake and exhaust. He would of handed me my *** from a launch, but on the go, the max holds it's own on a good day. It's a lot of fun surprising a few of those guys though.
Old 02-22-2001, 08:45 PM

yeah... funny how my import with 2 litres less of displacement can almost keep up with Fords top end sports car. though i was suprised by the lightning.. i didn't know it was a lightning until it pulled next to me and i could read the label. scary fast for a truck. i could have whupped him in the twisties though! i see that guy every morning now... anyone know what a 93 se manual needs to kill a pony truck?

351 v-8? hahahah... his kung fu no good! domestic truck too slow for speeding blue bullit!

-G

[Edited by The Sleeper on 02-22-2001 at 11:32 PM]
Old 02-22-2001, 09:41 PM

on the hwy...say 80mph+, a lot of those fords aren't really a problem. I wish a have 5spd...I'd be satisfied with the car rather than trying to get another car that can fulfil the needs like I'm doing now.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:15 PM

Cool. I had an encounter with a Camaro tonight. Turns out my bottom end is fine so I went for a drive out in the sticks tonight after work. I was coasting down a hill about 50 in third (automatic) and a ~'95 Camaro (can tell by the fog lights) started riding my tail. When the road got level and straightened up I set the cruise at 55 and went into OD. I'm trying to drive mature these days. He stayed all over my tail until a passing zone came up and he passed me. I noticed he had some noisy dual exhuast, he probably thinks those made his Camaro really fast, I can't resist I hate people like this. Once he was in front of me, I matched his speed instantly and we went about 80. Oops I still had the high beams on, I could see 3 teenage guys in the car. I dimmed the lights. We came to the interstate and I rode his tail up the ramp. He was going fast but had no idea I wanted to race his dumb *** so when we got on the interstate I kept it in 3rd and pulled up beside him on the right and looked over as I pulled on him a little. He got the idea and punched it. He stayed about my blind spot for a while then I was pulling pretty good as we crested a hill at about 95 Going down the hill I got way ahead and he was in the rear view. I put it in OD at about 115 as I zipped through a left-handed downhile sweeper and he was just a dot in the rearview.

Old 02-23-2001, 06:27 AM
OG and counting...

Recently, I opened up a can of whoop-a$$ on a new Monte Carlo. The only performance mod I have is a K&N drop in filter. Here's how the whole thing went down.
I just got to a stoplight and saw this navy blue Monte Carlo in the right hand lane. I turned my head to look at the car and the guy instantly starts talking trash to me.
His most famous line was "You can't do nothin' with this!"
Well, to make a long story short, I noticed a stalled car in his lane before we took off. I already knew what he was going to do and I decided to thwart his plans. When the light turned green, I punched it to 1/2 throttle and wound up a nose ahead of him. Then when we got around the stalled car, I floored it and left him sniffing exhaust fumes. Result: I beat this clod so badly that the only way he could catch up to me was that I slowed down to turn onto another street.

Moral: Never underestimate a Maxima or the driver therein.
Old 02-24-2001, 10:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by The Sleeper
yeah... funny how my import with 2 litres less of displacement can almost keep up with Fords top end sports car. though i was suprised by the lightning.. i didn't know it was a lightning until it pulled next to me and i could read the label. scary fast for a truck. i could have whupped him in the twisties though! i see that guy every morning now... anyone know what a 93 se manual needs to kill a pony truck?

351 v-8? hahahah... his kung fu no good! domestic truck too slow for speeding blue bullit!

-G

Dude, I hate to say this but you have ABSOLUTELY no chance of hangin' with a Lightning unless he wants to let you. My dad has a Lightning and he has killed me many of times. Those things come from the manufacturer with an Eaton supercharger, anti-sway bars and all kinds of suspension options. They are lowered and I swear AS GOD IS MY WITNESS that my dad can corner with that things just as easily as I do. Those things are ungodly as far as horsepower and torque production (With 380 horses at 4,750 revs and 450 lb-ft of torque at 3,250 0-60 in 5.8 straight from the dealer). My dad's is a 2001 that he has had for close to 2 months. I am scared to race that thing. My brother has a 2000 Roush Edition Mustang Cobra and he gets beat by my dad every friggin' time, although I will admit that the Cobras do not produce the horespower that they claim they do. The Roush puts out about 345 and the regular Cobra claims 320 but is closer to 295.

Just my $.02.
Old 02-24-2001, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by C-Dawg

-G

Dude, I hate to say this but you have ABSOLUTELY no chance of hangin' with a Lightning unless he wants to let you. My dad has a Lightning and he has killed me many of times. Those things come from the manufacturer with an Eaton supercharger, anti-sway bars and all kinds of suspension options. They are lowered and I swear AS GOD IS MY WITNESS that my dad can corner with that things just as easily as I do. Those things are ungodly as far as horsepower and torque production (With 380 horses at 4,750 revs and 450 lb-ft of torque at 3,250 0-60 in 5.8 straight from the dealer). My dad's is a 2001 that he has had for close to 2 months. I am scared to race that thing. My brother has a 2000 Roush Edition Mustang Cobra and he gets beat by my dad every friggin' time, although I will admit that the Cobras do not produce the horespower that they claim they do. The Roush puts out about 345 and the regular Cobra claims 320 but is closer to 295.

Just my $.02.
There were earlier Lightnings that were frankly weak. Those new ones are faster. But you know, can't call the guy a liar since I wasn't there. He was, so unless someone can prove him wrong, witness ect, he is inocent
Old 02-24-2001, 02:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not calling him a liar. I'm just saying that the Lightning would only let him keep up it won't let him beat it.

I love my car but I know its limits and those damn Lightnings are definitely a limit.

A Dakota R/T, I will go with it any day of the week.

Old 02-25-2001, 02:06 PM

whoah... chill dudes... i go away for one weekend and i'm getting my story ripped. this was an OLD lighting. '92 maybe. the *** end stuck up like it was a regular truck. i didn't even know it was a lightning until i saw the decal on the side of the bed. now, when i say i "suprised" him, i dont mean he knew i was gonna waste him. he was catching up after he realized what i was trying to. as for the new lightnings, i hope i'm never tempted to race one..
Old 02-25-2001, 05:02 PM

The kid w/ the beretta claimed he was governed at 108, anyone know for sure?

No, my friend had like a 92 non-GT beretta, and we were goings almost 125 in it once, before the engine cut out on us
Old 02-26-2001, 11:45 AM

Well, my weekend wasn't as exciting as everyone elses.. I did get the chance to race a Sunfire GT.. Well if you want to call it a race. We got up to around 105 before he called it quits.. Funny thing is this old POS Camaro Berlinetta (I think that is how you pronnounce it) joined in the race also.. The sunfire and camaro started racing and I paced behind to see who would win.. The Sunfire won. ha ha..