3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

power door locks/factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 01:36 AM

power door locks/factory alarm

Here's the problem. Power door locks worked intermittenly for a while and eventually died. After it rains hard the alarm goes off whe unlock and opens the driver side door. Every once i while they will work for a minute. I've already changed the time control unit,no joy. Looked for the switches in the door an no luck. help me out.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by cspangg
Here's the problem. Power door locks worked intermittenly for a while and eventually died. After it rains hard the alarm goes off whe unlock and opens the driver side door. Every once i while they will work for a minute. I've already changed the time control unit,no joy. Looked for the switches in the door an no luck. help me out.
Hey I not sure I can help yet, but I am having the same problem. The alarm thing just happened this morning. The door locks have been a problem in cold weather. After twisting the key twice to unlock all the doors, the door locks will not open and it seems like I am 'fighting' the door lock to get it to open. The controller wants to lock the door, and I want to unlock it. Also, if someone closes the door hard the doors will all lock, and this *REALLY* sucks if the car is in the ignition and the car is running. Now this morning, a double twist on the driver's side kicks off the security alarm. WTF!! I believe the driver side door switch mechanism is just wearing out, since I can open the doors (and cancel the alarm) from the passenger side. I am going to look into this today, and if I find out anything I will let you know. I love this board, it has helped me immensely with my 3rd gen VE.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:56 PM

fixed door locks.

I reseated the connectors on the door time control unit. Gain access to the lower dash area, (basically drop the console under the steering wheel ans you will be able to see in the middle the alarm & connected to the back of it a little white box(TIME CONTROL UNIT) and to the right next to th stereo is a metal box with a small black box attached to it, I reseated the harness on the black box and everything worked okay, if things start back again, I'll go to to bone yard and get one.

Originally Posted by KEhrhardt
Hey I not sure I can help yet, but I am having the same problem. The alarm thing just happened this morning. The door locks have been a problem in cold weather. After twisting the key twice to unlock all the doors, the door locks will not open and it seems like I am 'fighting' the door lock to get it to open. The controller wants to lock the door, and I want to unlock it. Also, if someone closes the door hard the doors will all lock, and this *REALLY* sucks if the car is in the ignition and the car is running. Now this morning, a double twist on the driver's side kicks off the security alarm. WTF!! I believe the driver side door switch mechanism is just wearing out, since I can open the doors (and cancel the alarm) from the passenger side. I am going to look into this today, and if I find out anything I will let you know. I love this board, it has helped me immensely with my 3rd gen VE.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by cspangg
I reseated the connectors on the door time control unit. Gain access to the lower dash area, (basically drop the console under the steering wheel ans you will be able to see in the middle the alarm & connected to the back of it a little white box(TIME CONTROL UNIT) and to the right next to th stereo is a metal box with a small black box attached to it, I reseated the harness on the black box and everything worked okay, if things start back again, I'll go to to bone yard and get one.
Yeah, now I remember I pulled the door lock timer some time ago and touched up the solder on the PC board, it didn't work for me. Did the same as you today, pulled out the door lock timer and reseated everything, now no alarm problem, but doors are still funky. There are 10 electrolytic caps on the board, I will replace these see if this helps. The reason I doubt it is the door lock timer is that the passenger side key ALWAYS works, and the door unlock button on the drivers side console always works as well. Well the caps are cheap enough, and if need be I can order a door lock timer from Courtesy.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:55 PM

I have the "fighting the power lock" problem as well. I discovered that it was the fault of the passenger switch console. Inside this switch are the 2 relays which control the power locks for the whole car. if one of the realys is stuck (as mine is) it ALWAYS tries to keep the doors locked. A temporary solution is to cut the 2 brown wires on the passenger harness(be sure to mark them so you can reattach them later), at least untill you can replace the switch (shouldnt be hard to find at wreckers) but you will be without power door locks if you do this.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I also have the intermittent "fighting power lock" problem. In my research, I found the following possible problems mentioned; door lock timer, actuator, lock mechanism, lock linkage but this is the first time I have heard of a potential problem with these relays. Are they really in the passenger switch console? My 94 SE only has a window switch on the passenger door console. Guess I will need to take the passenger door apart. Is it possible to just replace the relays and not the entire switch?
Old 02-18-2014, 06:06 PM

these cars are still new to me,,,92SE>I also have this problem turn the key and the power locks don't work but once in awhile,so in the mean time the alarm keeps going off when ever I open either door,,,so it is in the door lock it self and I need to change it or is it my problem under the dash?