3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2000, 05:25 AM

What is a good brand to use? and does it make a big difference?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2000, 06:34 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by sTAE

Thanks
Stick with NGKs. OEM uses them..why not us?
Dan
Old 09-19-2000, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by DanNY

Thanks
Dan

OEM?
Old 09-19-2000, 08:50 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by DanNY

Thanks
Dan

OEM?
sorry...
OEM - origional equipment manufacturer...what came with the car when new.
Old 09-19-2000, 10:13 AM

I just put Bosch Platinum +4 plugs in my '93 SE. They don't seem to be any different than stock but at least I didn't have to mess around with gapping them etc.
Old 09-19-2000, 10:32 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by jdonavich
I just put Bosch Platinum +4 plugs in my '93 SE. They don't seem to be any different than stock but at least I didn't have to mess around with gapping them etc.
gapping??
NGKs come pregapped. they better pregap the bosh +4s..imagine trying to gap 4 electrodes and god forbid one breaks off in the engine....
i say get the NGKs..but it's your car..get what u want.
Dan
Old 09-19-2000, 11:12 AM

Bosch invented the spark plug so I trust them more than NGK. The 4-electrode design is precisely why gapping is not required with the +4s. In all likelihood, you won't notice any difference between an OEM plug vs. another.

Old 09-19-2000, 11:49 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Bosch invented the spark plug so I trust them more than NGK. The 4-electrode design is precisely why gapping is not required with the +4s. In all likelihood, you won't notice any difference between an OEM plug vs. another.

well if u won't notice a difference then why pay twice as much for the same thing? well you were saying that NGK needed to be pre gapped..but they don't need to be. so basically you paid extra for a plug that would perform the same as the plug that cost 1/2 as much.

Bosch is a german company..they designed the plug for a lot of their german cars and etc..NGK is a japanese company...designed the plug for the japanese cars. if nissan though the bosch were better plugs than the NGKs they would put in the bosch instead of the NGKs. like i said...it your car and your money. buy what works for you.
Dan
Old 09-19-2000, 12:23 PM

The platinum plugs last longer which is the primary reason I use them. Also, I don't mind spending the extra $$ for the #1 brand of a particular product. Bosch knows plugs better than anyone else so don't try to convince me or anyone else that NGK makes a better plug. Most poeple would not notice a difference, but if the +4s do deliver better performance than the rest of the plugs out there, then all the better. You stick with your mediocre OEM NGKs and I'll go with Bosch. FYI, I'm not German.

-Jeremy

Old 09-19-2000, 12:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

As others would say--->

You got some data to back that up? What I mean is how exactly do you know Bosch's plats are better than NGK's plats? That's the real question isn't it? Is the Bosch plats rated to go 60k? Did you dyno before and after? Remember if you feel better performance from the Bosch plugs it's likely it's becuase they are new and the NGK's already had 60k on them. Try it the other way and the NGKs would probably feel better too.

The platinum plugs last longer which is the primary reason I use them. Also, I don't mind spending the extra $$ for the #1 brand of a particular product. Bosch knows plugs better than anyone else so don't try to convince me or anyone else that NGK makes a better plug. Most poeple would not notice a difference, but if the +4s do deliver better performance than the rest of the plugs out there, then all the better. You stick with your mediocre OEM NGKs and I'll go with Bosch. FYI, I'm not German.

-Jeremy

Old 09-19-2000, 12:43 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

-Jeremy

woah...hold on there...i'm not trying to convince ANYONE on what plug to get. i just stated my opinion. if u feel that strongly about the Bosch then go for it. don't turn this INTERNET DISCUSSION to a personal level. at no time i said that you were wrong in chosing the Bosch..i said in all the posts that get what works for you.

just a little story..
there was a plug call split fire..now those looked pretty high tech and etc and claimed to have a stronger flame and etc etc...well they didn't. basically was snake oil.

do u have any 3rd party info on these plugs or are you at
the seat of your pants dyno? did u do a dyno run or some comparison test that proves me wrong?

ok so you're convinced that the bosch is the #1 brand of spark plug on the market for your nissan maxima so be it.

from personal experiences with bosch plat spark plugs they tend to work better in german vehicles than other made vehicles, GM, Ford, Nissans, Hondas. but if you feel so strongly about bosch then i want to know your reason.

u mentioned that the plat tip is the main reason why u got the bosch plats..well NGK make plats that are going for twice the price of the +4s...if you're talking about prices.

if you think a simple spark plug will yield you additional power then i would have to correct you on that. the +4s probably make very little additional power (if any) compared to a set of NGK plats. electricity will travel the path of the least resistance...so the spark will only travel ONE of the 4 prong tip.

if you think the NGKs are medicore then i would like u to watch a few races with a lot of the japanese vehicles and see what plugs they run..and i can bet a lot of them don't run bosch plats.

with your car and the basic mods..(intake and exhaust) you think the +4 give u that much additional power compared to a fresh set of NGK plats?

i'm not flaming you...i just want to know why you think the way you do.
oh and BTW..the US invented the car and the mass production..
the japanese just perfected it (err made it better)...that's why u drive a japanese car right? since it's better than a GM or a blue oval?..
just trying to understand your thought.
Dan
Old 09-30-2002, 08:44 PM

Here i come to flame the DAY!!!

Bosch plugs are JUNK.

If they were so good, then they would prevent detonation in turbo cars. I wonder why NGK are so commonly used in import race motors?!?!?!

Ive gone thru bosch plugs in both my turbo colt, which would ping like a son of a B, and couldnt figure out why, till i changed everything but the plugs. Changed them to the NGK copper , and tada! no knock.

I didnt want to quit on the bosch product, so i tried a set on the maxima, and well, they would ping right off the first day i drove with them. I mean, its hard to get a maxima VE motor to detonate with the proper fuel in the tank. Even with 94 octane, and timing set properly and checking the gap on the plugs. So, i thought maybe i had a bad plug in the batch, and replaced all six with brand new plugs. Well, same shhhit. I havent changed them, its been 5K kms, as soon as the oil needs changing, the plugs will meet the hammer.

I would use a champion plug for a lawnmower before going back to Bosch sparking junk.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:17 AM

I am currently running bosch plugs and they suck horribly. Im hoping to get the NGK's soon!!!