3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Question about brakes after Nissan serviced them...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 07:48 PM

Question about brakes after Nissan serviced them...

Hi all,

I recently took my 94 to the Nissan dealer for repairs and inspection. I lost confidence in this last guy who had done some work in the past when he attempted to replace my sheered manifold studs. I bought the updated ones, gaskets, etc. and he had the car almost two months with every excuse in the book as to why he couldn't do it.

I was ready to flip, so I called Nissan in a pinch and told them I knew what I needed and to have a mechanic quote me on just replacing the two sheered studs to complete the job. They quoted $331, so I went for it.

While the car was there, I needed a state inspection. They proceeded to alert me that I had 1) a bad ball joint, 2) a rear caliper that was seized and totally hosed the rotor, and 3) the other rear rotor was not functioning at all and 4) Distributor cap was arcing (and I was having problems with starting in wet weather).

I told them "go ahead" as I need the car, and need it inspected.

$1,200 and change later the car is quiet again with the repaired studs. What a relief. Also, it seems to run much smoother with the new dist. cap.

However, when I pulled out and hit the 1st red light-- the brakes made a sound like a spring popping almost and I felt the brake pedal move a little. It was a strange sound-- it ping'd like a spring popping then kind of buzzed for a second. It seemed to do this almost every time when the car was almost at a complete stop.

I turned around and took it right back. The mechanic got in and he and I drove it around the parking lot braking. Of course, it would not do it.

I left feeling a bit like a dork as I could not reproduce the problem. Next day, it was doing the same thing, but then it would stop. Now, the ABS light is coming on intermittently but the brakes are stopping the car OK.

I think the spring-pop/buzz sound along with the ABS light is telling me they may have mis-installed something in respect to the ABS system.

Any mechanics out there know what this might be? I'd like to have some ammo and knowledge when I take it back again.

Thanks all,

-Leo
Old 12-01-2003, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by leojs
Hi all,

I recently took my 94 to the Nissan dealer for repairs and inspection. I lost confidence in this last guy who had done some work in the past when he attempted to replace my sheered manifold studs. I bought the updated ones, gaskets, etc. and he had the car almost two months with every excuse in the book as to why he couldn't do it.

I was ready to flip, so I called Nissan in a pinch and told them I knew what I needed and to have a mechanic quote me on just replacing the two sheered studs to complete the job. They quoted $331, so I went for it.

While the car was there, I needed a state inspection. They proceeded to alert me that I had 1) a bad ball joint, 2) a rear caliper that was seized and totally hosed the rotor, and 3) the other rear rotor was not functioning at all and 4) Distributor cap was arcing (and I was having problems with starting in wet weather).

I told them "go ahead" as I need the car, and need it inspected.

$1,200 and change later the car is quiet again with the repaired studs. What a relief. Also, it seems to run much smoother with the new dist. cap.

However, when I pulled out and hit the 1st red light-- the brakes made a sound like a spring popping almost and I felt the brake pedal move a little. It was a strange sound-- it ping'd like a spring popping then kind of buzzed for a second. It seemed to do this almost every time when the car was almost at a complete stop.

I turned around and took it right back. The mechanic got in and he and I drove it around the parking lot braking. Of course, it would not do it.

I left feeling a bit like a dork as I could not reproduce the problem. Next day, it was doing the same thing, but then it would stop. Now, the ABS light is coming on intermittently but the brakes are stopping the car OK.

I think the spring-pop/buzz sound along with the ABS light is telling me they may have mis-installed something in respect to the ABS system.

Any mechanics out there know what this might be? I'd like to have some ammo and knowledge when I take it back again.

Thanks all,

-Leo
Talking of the brakes - I had the same problem (when I brought it to mechanic - same place I replaced rear brake lines ... everything was smooth and quit). I did bleeding myself and found out that I had air in front lines - they didn't bleed front brakes when replaced rear lines (!!!).
Hope you have the same problem because it is an easy fix

PS: if they replaced rotors and forgot to clean 'em from rustproof oil (or whatever it is) - it might cause this "nice" sound as well
Old 12-01-2003, 08:50 PM
STFU n00b!

If your abs light is now on, it's time to take it back to the mechanic and let them play with it again. they'll be able to tell you something since the ABS light is on, and they have no way to say "everything is fine".

If they try to send you packing, ask for the service manager. if he gives you BS, ask for the general manager. keep going until they fix your car. it wasn't doing that when you brought it in, it shouldn'e be doing if afterwards.... especially after they bent you over for $1200 in repairs that cost about $250 in parts.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:33 AM

The sound you hear discribes perfectly antilock brakes going off just before stopping. I had same problem caused by an improperly installed axel by a shop. If the antilock sensors at each wheel detect a difference in wheel rotation they activate the antilock brakes. Your problem is proberly air in the brake lines or a binding caliper.