3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ATTN VE30DE gurus (VTC related prb)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 05:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ATTN VE30DE gurus (VTC related prb)

I have already diagnosed my VTC on the front bank to be faulty. I tried grounding the VTC but that did not quiet the sound.

The sound is basically there at startup and only during VTC activated intervals while driving (from standstill acceleration from approx 1000-2500rpm) and then the engine sound perfect from there upwards. I am pretty sure that this is the common VTC problem. (as a note, when I had dissassembled and inspected the valvetrain I had also noticed that the VTC sprocket in question had been rebuilt).

Instead of spending the $375-400 on a new VTC assembly, I am wondering if anyone here has thought of or used an exhaust sprocket on the intake side to completely defeat the VTC altogether. I had the head completely apart and could not remember any differences between the notches and mating surfaces between the sprockets and the camshafts. All you would need to buy is another exhaust sprocket and a shorter bolt and technically the sound will be gone and VTC will be completely defeated.

Comments from people who've tackled this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:26 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

i broke mine
Old 12-04-2003, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by teg92
I have already diagnosed my VTC on the front bank to be faulty. I tried grounding the VTC but that did not quiet the sound.

The sound is basically there at startup and only during VTC activated intervals while driving (from standstill acceleration from approx 1000-2500rpm) and then the engine sound perfect from there upwards. I am pretty sure that this is the common VTC problem. (as a note, when I had dissassembled and inspected the valvetrain I had also noticed that the VTC sprocket in question had been rebuilt).

Instead of spending the $375-400 on a new VTC assembly, I am wondering if anyone here has thought of or used an exhaust sprocket on the intake side to completely defeat the VTC altogether. I had the head completely apart and could not remember any differences between the notches and mating surfaces between the sprockets and the camshafts. All you would need to buy is another exhaust sprocket and a shorter bolt and technically the sound will be gone and VTC will be completely defeated.

Comments from people who've tackled this issue would be greatly appreciated.
i suppose you could do it, but i wouldnt just dive right in without a little more research.
i dont really see the point either, if you're competent enough to take your heads apart, then why arent you competent enough to pull the cams, get the rebuild kits and bring them to a shop to get rebuilt? it shouldnt take very long, the guy who built my motor charged me an extra $50+parts, and i cant complain, they make no noise (crossing fingers) and seem to be working great.
thats just my opinion though..no one i know of has done it, so do some more research and try it if you'd like, just be warned that working VTC is the best thing ever with these motors.