3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Non maxima post, i know its gonna get locked.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 08:16 PM

Non maxima post, i know its gonna get locked.

Ok, the situation with the se im gonna get is a little harder than just goin to the bank and pullin the money out. im split between a car loan, or tryin to get money for a truck i dont use anymore.

i was wondering if any of you truck guys would be to help me on this

1984 Chevy C10 Pickup
A/C, Auto with a brand new tranny, cd player, power steering, 4.6l IL6. Longbed with shell cap. body is in good condition, there is rust along the kick panels and in a few other places. the engine runs strong. needs work to pass emissions. tires are new, brakes are really strong. clean title, all of it is pretty much stock. the guy who owned it before me drove it as a mail truck. it only has about 182000 miles on it. it was well looked after before i got it, and ive had it for about five months. its been sittin in my driveway for about three of those since i got my max.

also i have an 88 celica, auto, power steering ST trim. 2.0l 4 banger. cassette player. no rust, new brakes. the only problem is that something is messed up in the engine, i believe it has thrown a rod. but then again i cannot be sure.

if anyone could help me by giving me a price on what to expect from a dealer.

thanks
Will
Old 12-08-2003, 08:21 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by harrymay
Ok, the situation with the se im gonna get is a little harder than just goin to the bank and pullin the money out. im split between a car loan, or tryin to get money for a truck i dont use anymore.

i was wondering if any of you truck guys would be to help me on this

1984 Chevy C10 Pickup
A/C, Auto with a brand new tranny, cd player, power steering, 4.6l IL6. Longbed with shell cap. body is in good condition, there is rust along the kick panels and in a few other places. the engine runs strong. needs work to pass emissions. tires are new, brakes are really strong. clean title, all of it is pretty much stock. the guy who owned it before me drove it as a mail truck. it only has about 182000 miles on it. it was well looked after before i got it, and ive had it for about five months. its been sittin in my driveway for about three of those since i got my max.

also i have an 88 celica, auto, power steering ST trim. 2.0l 4 banger. cassette player. no rust, new brakes. the only problem is that something is messed up in the engine, i believe it has thrown a rod. but then again i cannot be sure.

if anyone could help me by giving me a price on what to expect from a dealer.

thanks
Will
$500 tops for the truck from a dealer
$200 tops for the celica from a dealer
Private party/ebay can net you double that on either
Old 12-08-2003, 08:24 PM

im way to lazy for ebay, plus im dying to get this max. kbb says the truck is worth 1295 and the celica is worth 795 for trade in. i think its too high since the engine needs replacing in the celica. and the truck is kinda old and crappy.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you could broboly get a grand for the truck selling out right

youll be lucky to find somone to pay over 200 for the celica
Old 12-08-2003, 08:37 PM

see the truck cost me 650 when i bought it, but with the tranny that has hardly been used i was tryin to sell it for about 1300, but that was coz id put soo much money into it. now im just desperate to get rid of it so i can get the SE
Old 12-08-2003, 08:38 PM

with dealers its more about appearance so maybe invest in some spray paint? lol

sometimes i've heard of dealers accepting a trade-in, but then actually paying the owner to actually get it off their lot, lol.

reminds me of a friends 82 chevy 2wd short cab short bed, we restored it and now its pretty badass. He had it painted yellow (which is funny because we call it the blue truck). He also has the 6cylinder engine, we were going to put a V8 in it, but he accidently blew his 350 in his 89 K1500 stepside with 35"s and a nice deep cherry red paint job. I wonder if he will let me build that engine for him

good luck with the sales.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
$500 tops for the truck from a dealer
$200 tops for the celica from a dealer
Private party/ebay can net you double that on either
Agree 100%. I recently tried to trade in my 93 SE Auto which still looks very good and they wanted to give me $400 for it - without even driving it.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:27 AM

the old man and the sea

trade-ins are skewed in the favor of the dealer because they take those cars, often, not always, right to the auctions and get more for them there if they are not viable "pre-owned" material for their lot. so you are talked into getting about fifty bucks for the trade-in because you are hypnotized to want the new car, and the dealer really wants to get as much as possible for the car on the black/2nd-hand market poverty industry treadmill policy.

then with a new car, you have a monthly enslavement note and the car is worth 20% less instantly and then the whole thing goes on and on. and you have to work a 2nd part-time job that you hate or kiss xtra aS$ at work to become the teacher's pet so you can climb higher.

then the new car's warranty expires yesterday and your deeply embedded electrical problem causes the engine to stall on the interstate.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:36 AM
mod or sell?

These 2 cars are straight to the auction block.
Dealer will not invest in a car over 6 yrs old especially for rust.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You might be able to get decent money for the truck, especially here in Texas. Seems like Texas folk love their trucks.....The Celica is another story. You'd probably be better off to call one of those places that buy cars in "any condition" and have them give you $100 and haul it off.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:14 AM
mod or sell?

If you were closer I'd consider making a deal for the celica but you're to far away. and I'm really hunting for RWD anyways
Old 12-09-2003, 07:31 AM
Way out West

I had an 88 celica that threw a rod -- sounded like a howitzer and blew oil all over everything. It was pretty cool, actually.

I put it in the Nickel Ads "as-is" and sold it for $475. The car had 280k miles on it. It was a convertible, but it looked really clean. I think I had about 20 calls on it and could have sold it for more.

You celica is probably worth more for the parts than anything else. You should try to sell it as a parts car and hope for $300-$400.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:57 AM

i sold my old toyota pickup for 1500, it wasnt even worht 500. i think i just got lucky though. i think i might just dump my truck somewhere with a for sale sign on it and try and get as much as i can.

the guy im buying it from is a private owner. hes been driving it for the past 6 years and the only problem i see is a tear in the drivers seat, and the vtc. im gonna ask him if hell give me some money off for the truck, and maybe the celica.

thank you for your help