3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Leaky power steering pump ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 11:36 PM

Leaky power steering pump ? ?

I noticed what seemed to be transmission fluid coming from under the car after it was parked overnight, so I took it to my mechanic for a look-see. Since the car was acting very strange in a hard acceleration (initial thought was the tranny was going, but we found it was only a lack of fluid... somehow) before I changed the transmission fluid, I thought the lack of fluid must have occurred from this leak.

Well, now it seems there's a leak in my power sterring pump. According to the mechanic, there's a bolt on the pump near the motor mounts that gets loose over time. If he were to fix it, there was a decent chance that it might turn into a bigger job than a loose bolt (I believe he said the pump might have to be replaced if the bolt wasn't resecured on correctly ). He said that the leak will be just a minor annoyance... for now. If it becomes a larger leak, then repair would be necessary. Until then, I just have to watch the power steering fluid level and refill accordingly.

Curious how many people have run into this problem and how long they used their Max until they got it repaired. Any suggestions on minor fixes that will hold me over until it becomes a bigger leak (if ever, though I'm sure it'll happen sooner than later ) and any precautions to take while driving to keep it from getting bigger?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Are you sure it's the pump and not the pressure hose? Only reason I ask is that it's pretty common for the pressure hose to go out on that age of car, and fluid leaks can run down places and appear like they are leaking from somewhere else. Just something to check, since the hose is probably cheaper to replace than the pump. (hose is still a pain, tho)
Old 12-12-2003, 10:01 AM
Loved by MrGone longtime

Take the car to another mechanic and see if they tell you the same thing.

I just replaced my pressure hose. Don't know how long it was on the car before me, but I have had the car for 4 years. Cost around $100 for parts and labor.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by NYC 92 GXEr
I noticed what seemed to be transmission fluid coming from under the car after it was parked overnight, so I took it to my mechanic for a look-see. Since the car was acting very strange in a hard acceleration (initial thought was the tranny was going, but we found it was only a lack of fluid... somehow) before I changed the transmission fluid, I thought the lack of fluid must have occurred from this leak.

Well, now it seems there's a leak in my power sterring pump. According to the mechanic, there's a bolt on the pump near the motor mounts that gets loose over time. If he were to fix it, there was a decent chance that it might turn into a bigger job than a loose bolt (I believe he said the pump might have to be replaced if the bolt wasn't resecured on correctly ). He said that the leak will be just a minor annoyance... for now. If it becomes a larger leak, then repair would be necessary. Until then, I just have to watch the power steering fluid level and refill accordingly.

Curious how many people have run into this problem and how long they used their Max until they got it repaired. Any suggestions on minor fixes that will hold me over until it becomes a bigger leak (if ever, though I'm sure it'll happen sooner than later ) and any precautions to take while driving to keep it from getting bigger?

Mine has been slowly leaking for the past 2 years. Started right after I got the power steering pump replaced. I don't want to mess with the thing and the leak is minor.

I have to top off PS fluid maybe once in 3 months..