3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My windshield has 2 dents on it, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001 | 07:38 AM

I am afraid the crack will expand and finally destroy the whole windshield, do you have any suggestion?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2001 | 09:15 AM
OG and counting...

I just went through the same thing. I originally had a dent on my windshield from a rock kicked up by a semi back in September. I called Safelite to repair the glass and everything worked OK until we had the snowstorm from hell and an ensuing severe cold snap. As a result, what was minor instantly became a windshield replacement because the crack expanded all the way across the windshield.

To make a long story short, I bit the bullet and bought a new windshield from a shop that gave me the lowest price and a decent warranty(Lifetime). I was going to do the boneyard thing, but their warranty was only 1 year against workmanship and other defects.
Old 02-27-2001 | 09:50 AM
I'm needing a caw

1) Check your auto insurance to see what is and isn't covered.

2) Arrange to have the dings filled w/ clear epoxy from a service. It will keep the glass clear and it will "bind" the glass to help prevent the crack from growing.

Originally posted by hclll
I am afraid the crack will expand and finally destroy the whole windshield, do you have any suggestion?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2001 | 12:42 PM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by Jeff92se

2) Arrange to have the dings filled w/ clear epoxy from a service. It will keep the glass clear and it will "bind" the glass to help prevent the crack from growing.

Thanks.
However, if he lives in an area where winters are prone to be rough, doing the epoxy thing might not work. In fact, it might aggravate the situation because of the properties of glass. As I previously stated, I did that (through a company) and I still got a huge crack during the first deep freeze.

As far as insurance is concerned, the problem is going to be with your deductible. Would you really want to shell out the cost of your deductible in order to have that on your insurance? That's why I bit the bullet and bought my new windshield.
Old 02-27-2001 | 12:48 PM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Thanks.
However, if he lives in an area where winters are prone to be rough, doing the epoxy thing might not work. In fact, it might aggravate the situation because of the properties of glass. As I previously stated, I did that (through a company) and I still got a huge crack during the first deep freeze.

As far as insurance is concerned, the problem is going to be with your deductible. Would you really want to shell out the cost of your deductible in order to have that on your insurance? That's why I bit the bullet and bought my new windshield.

Another route you could go is looking around the parts board and seeing if you can find a windshield. There is a user that is selling a windshield for $100 and you could get it installed for little or nothing. But you will need to find out your tint color to see if his tint and yours will match.