3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

getting windows tinted professionally...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 08:28 PM

getting windows tinted professionally...

if i was to get my windows tinted at a window tinting place, will they clean the windows throughly before they apply the tint? does anyone know the steps they do to apply the tint and where they tint the cars free of dust? and is formula 1 tint pretty good? im planning on getting the basic film classic/standard, does anyone have this?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:41 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

A good shop will take every precaution to make sure its a quality install.

Most of the time they clean the windows with amonia free cleaner and a razor blade to make sure the window is real clean.

Just take it to a reputable shop and you will be OK.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:42 AM

When you get the car back make sure that you don't see any little bubbles. Its the little ones that become a problem later on. What are they charging you?
Old 12-12-2003, 07:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just got my Max tinted at my regular tint shop (been going there for 4 yrs) over Thanksgiving...cost $175 for all windows (including a strip on the windshield) w/a 3 yr warranty. And a good shop will clean the windows w/a razor before applying the tint.
Also, some bubbles are normal right after the application, but if there are a lot of bubbles still after a week or so, I would bring the car back and complain.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by StRacer718
When you get the car back make sure that you don't see any little bubbles. Its the little ones that become a problem later on. What are they charging you?
for both front and back sides plus rear windshield its $145 for classic/standard, on the latint site it says they use formula one tint, im gonna go for 35%
Old 12-12-2003, 06:23 PM

If u r going to tint ure windows, make sure u get legal tint. Check ure state laws b4 going to tint place. They will put anything u want on ure windows, but don't get that ticket for wrong tint!
Old 12-12-2003, 06:34 PM

i'm pretty sure it can be as dark as you want on the back and on both of the rear passenger windows, also when they go to apply the tint they spray the outside and inside of the windows, on the outside they cut the tint to size then they apply the tint inside and smooth it out w/ a squeegee. if you have any bubbles usually just small ones then take a needle and some windex and pop the bubble long after the tint sets and spray it down and smooth it w/ a credit card or something of that form
Old 12-12-2003, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by drakken789
i'm pretty sure it can be as dark as you want on the back and on both of the rear passenger windows, also when they go to apply the tint they spray the outside and inside of the windows, on the outside they cut the tint to size then they apply the tint inside and smooth it out w/ a squeegee. if you have any bubbles usually just small ones then take a needle and some windex and pop the bubble long after the tint sets and spray it down and smooth it w/ a credit card or something of that form
First, don't get spray tint. Get the film, better quality & lasts longer. 2nd, check ure states laws, because I'm pretty sure u cant go as dark as u want in every state.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by EdzMax
First, don't get spray tint. Get the film, better quality & lasts longer. 2nd, check ure states laws, because I'm pretty sure u cant go as dark as u want in every state.
i know in va, the law is for the front sides 50%, back sides 35% and rear window 28%. 50% is way to light, you can still be seen inside your car. i thought when you get your windows tinted at the tint shop, they do the window cut pattern electronically?
Old 12-12-2003, 10:34 PM

Nah, they did it the old fashion way, well when I was there they did The back is usually the hardest to do. Do u live in Va?
Old 12-12-2003, 10:53 PM

Tinting can be whatever dark in the rear window and rear passenger windows, front can't be anything in the state of California. Mine are second to darkest in back and rear passanger and driver windows and second to lightest (other than clear) in the front driver and passanger windows. It's just enough contrast to not get pulled over.

Since i had cheap bubbly tint from the owner beforew, they had to strip then retint, which is a PITA. So it costed me 225 for 4 windows 2 wings and a Rear all stripped and retinted.

My Tinted Max And I
Old 12-12-2003, 11:43 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by maxima2k2
if i was to get my windows tinted at a window tinting place, will they clean the windows throughly before they apply the tint? does anyone know the steps they do to apply the tint and where they tint the cars free of dust? and is formula 1 tint pretty good? im planning on getting the basic film classic/standard, does anyone have this?

if you're going to a "professional" why do you need to know what tint to use and HOW to apply it? if the pro can't supply the tint of his choice then you're going to the wrong guy.

to answer some of your question....
-yes the windows must be clean.
-NO tint job is free of dust. NO tint job is 100% perfect.

tint laws:
http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

EDIT: for the rocket scientist that said to use windex...
windex = instant purple tint
Old 12-13-2003, 12:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree - take it to a shop or a tinter with a good reputation. Quality of workmanship and customer service seems to be more important than what brand of tint they use, but if they're good they usually use quality tint anyway.

It might cost you more, but unless you plan on ditching the Max relatively soon (I am not), then for the number of years you'll be relying on the tint, it's worth it not to cheap out.

Workmanship and customer service are important because sloppy workmanship doesn't just mean bubbles. It could also mean other things such as making a mess out of your interior, and damaging things as well. I hear the good tint shops will actually take the glass out or remove the door panels to do the windows. Customer service is important IMO, because if you have a problem or bubbling, some shops do crappy jobs of fixing them or jerk you around a lot. I've read too many horror stories of some large high profile tint shops that seem inexpensive, but also get VERY "mixed" reviews on satisfaction. Check with your local car forums I say...

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't use any glass cleaner containing ammonia, like Windex. Automotive glass cleaners are a safer bet and usually will tell you they are tint safe.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:45 AM

What I've heard about VA is its 35% for the rear window and the rear passengers, and 50% for the drivers and front passengers, BUT you could get away with 35% on the drivers and front passengers. My friend got his tint done on his Kia, and he got 35%. The cops pulled us over for an expired state test(?) (not being racist here, but we had 2 black guys in the car which were charged with drugs before?) but back to the topic... the cops didn't say anything about the tint being too dark...
Old 12-13-2003, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin
What I've heard about VA is its 35% for the rear window and the rear passengers, and 50% for the drivers and front passengers, BUT you could get away with 35% on the drivers and front passengers. My friend got his tint done on his Kia, and he got 35%. The cops pulled us over for an expired state test(?) (not being racist here, but we had 2 black guys in the car which were charged with drugs before?) but back to the topic... the cops didn't say anything about the tint being too dark...
This thread prompted me to go check my tinting. I have a '93 SE that I bought new in 93. The day I drove it off the lot I had it tinted. This was in Austin TX by a shop called A Class Tint. I told 'em to put on whatever was legal in TX in a bronze color. I've got 35% all around. BTW, I paid $193 and that tint still to this day looks as good as the day they did it! I musta overpaid back then, but in retrospect it looks like a good purchase. They used a 3M film. I've been in CA now for about 6 years and have NEVER been pulled over for the dark tint in the front. Even if they pull you over it's just a 'fix-it' ticket so no big deal.
So, moral of the story, don't go cheap on the tint - if you get a good installer it will last the life of the car.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:49 AM
Grumpy old guy

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

http://www.doityourselftint.com/tintlaws.html
Old 12-13-2003, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin
ahhh, i live in va also and currently i have 35% front and 20% rear sides and had no problems from cops of whatsoever, but it all depends on the cops.