3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

intake manifold gasket...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 07:24 PM
STFU n00b!

nope.. it sits on my desk to answer questions for people that can't look stuff up for themselves.
otherwise, the only thing I use the FSM for is plug gaps, torque specs, and proving people wrong on .orgy.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sweet! you dont follow directions either!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:14 PM

another update:
gasket is cut, waiting for friend to get home so i dont have to use a dull hacksaw to get the excess material off (sabre saw is alot faster). should be installed later this evening or tomorrow...for now i'm off to get longer bolts.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:50 AM

ok, spacer is in, everything seems mostly normal, maybe slightly more low end power but that could be due to the engine being cold, it being 26* out (combined with a cold engine) or maybe the spacer is doing something for low end power..
i do however have a major, intermitten vacuum leak but that could be from a hose i knocked off (most likely, same symptoms as when the same hose was cracked before).

the good: i used the stock bolts, coils did not need to be modified (i came to this conclusion because i tightened the bolts, put everything back together and it ran normal at idle and while i was driving except for the vac leak symptoms)

the bad: my EGR tube WILL NOT thread back onto the valve, its slightly off alignment, so tomorrow i'm going to do my best (read: with more patience this time) to connect it back up..if that doesnt work, i'm cutting it off, crimping it and calling it done.

also, my wierd running condition could be caused by the EGR opening, the ECU thinking its getting exhaust gas when its really getting fresh air..who knows, not me.
the wierd running condition is however is characteristic of my previous vac problem, it would hesitate badly sometimes, occassionally it would not respond to throttle what-so-ever. this time, i had it almost to the floor and it was barely maintaining 2000rpm in second gear (exhaust note sounded like i was off the throttle also), i let off the gas, it dropped to idle and all was well..it definately feels like a vac problem, i'm just hoping its not from the spacer..if it is, gasket-maker, here i come!
more info as it comes.

also, today i was testing the material before i cut. put my stove on so it was way too hot to touch, laid the material on it and let it sit for about 10 minutes, come back, the stove is very hot (alot more so than i anticipated), lay my hand on the top of the material and its considerably warmer than the air(maybe 60*), but not hot by any means, i touched the side that was directly on the stove and it burned my hand..we'll see, i'll run it hard tomorrow and see what it does (assuming i get it running right, again).
any constructive input is always welcome, dont be afraid to IM me either.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:29 AM

Take care of the leaks then go for a test drive.

Longer Intake Runners = more low end
Shorter Intake Runners = more high end
Old 12-19-2003, 07:33 AM
STFU n00b!

fix the vacuum and EGR issues before you try to give it a comparison. those two are MAJOR performance issues that shoudl be fixed before you can safely make any assumptions on the mod..
Old 12-21-2003, 06:47 PM

alright, more testing today, its about 15* warmer(20* vs 35ish) than it was last time i drove the car (fixed the EGR leak temporerily, which also cured my vac leak symptoms, but exhaust is still leaking from rear manifold/ypipe flange)and its definately noticeably faster. sadly i do NOT have any idea how much heat this thing is blocking because i havent driven it long enough for the manifold to heat soak.
i hate to keep giving you guys thrown together impressions/updates, but i feel like i should post what happens so i dont forget the sequence of which my problems occured and so you guys dont think i'm forgetting about it.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the live updates. Might be interested in one down the road.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:15 PM

yet another review of the spacer.
driving very hard today, tachin' out gears like theres no tomorrow, car ran like a dream. get off the highway and try to bog it (it used to stumble real bad after long highway runs), it just goes.
get to my aunt's house (after a little over an hour of driving hard), pop the hood, couldnt touch the valve cover, but the upper plenum was just barely warm.
it used to be on that drive, my valve cover and upper plenum would be around the same temp.
this thing actually works! anyone who is interested, IM me or i'll post a thread if i dont hear from anyone (its easier for me to keep track of people on AIM than it is for the forum since the forum doesnt allow me to stay logged in for some stupid reason, and sometimes it goes down)..do what you gotta do.

in the near future i plan to make lower plenum spacers. when i have a little extra time, i'll make a TB spacer, but that shouldnt be needed (at least to block heat) if you bypass the TB coolant.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:01 AM

you changed your oil right?

Old 12-26-2003, 07:34 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

sounds good
Old 12-26-2003, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
you changed your oil right?

yeh, like a week or two ago.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:09 AM

I happen to be replacing my intake manifold gaskets, and the upper plenum gasket right now... as soon as the lower gaskets get into the shop....

The intake manifold (being the lower thing directs the air from the plenum to the heads, and has the ports for the injectors) has water ducts running through it... so I don't think using any spacer here would help.... but using one in between the manifold and the plenum, could definately help... Just look at the fuel rails, they have plastic spacers between them and the intake manifold (can't remember if they actually bolt to the manifold or not, too lazy to go out and check).

I am sad to say I can't wait a week or more to get a spacer, so I'll have to just use the plain ol' gasket between the plenum and the manifold...

The reason I am doing all this is I needed to change my rear valve cover gasket, so i figured I'd take the fuel rails and the manifold off and change the knock sensor and harness while I'm down there...

I have oil, a good bit, in the manifold and plenum... I have started another thread on this... if you have input, please reply to that thread.... Thanks!
Old 12-27-2003, 08:54 AM
STFU n00b!

Sounds good! Where do I sign up?
Old 12-27-2003, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by MP3Car
I happen to be replacing my intake manifold gaskets, and the upper plenum gasket right now... as soon as the lower gaskets get into the shop....

The intake manifold (being the lower thing directs the air from the plenum to the heads, and has the ports for the injectors) has water ducts running through it... so I don't think using any spacer here would help.... but using one in between the manifold and the plenum, could definately help... Just look at the fuel rails, they have plastic spacers between them and the intake manifold (can't remember if they actually bolt to the manifold or not, too lazy to go out and check).

I am sad to say I can't wait a week or more to get a spacer, so I'll have to just use the plain ol' gasket between the plenum and the manifold...

The reason I am doing all this is I needed to change my rear valve cover gasket, so i figured I'd take the fuel rails and the manifold off and change the knock sensor and harness while I'm down there...

I have oil, a good bit, in the manifold and plenum... I have started another thread on this... if you have input, please reply to that thread.... Thanks!
its actually very easy to replace the gasket with my spacer, you dont even have to take the manifold completely off, just unbolt, pull off intake hose and unbolt EGR. the spacer will (read: should) be reusable several times, i'd highly doubt if it would lose its sealing properties. its up to you if you want to buy it or not, i havent been able to get ahold of my "plastics guy" as of yesterday, so i wont have a final price for a little while.
as for the lower intake spacers, i think i'd see a very small gain from it but enough to justify cost. on my next monster VE, i'd like to port the water jackets and get them ceramic coated but thats a whole different ballgame which i know very little about..mybe i'll do it to this one, who knows, it depends on what i end up doing with the injectors (currently stock, may upgrade to 370cc 95/96 Z32). we'll see.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Sounds good! Where do I sign up?
we'll talk on AIM
Old 12-27-2003, 12:05 PM

I have some gasket sealer crap too, I dont even know if I would bother with gaskets lol