3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How to Adjust the Handbrake

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 12:23 PM

How to Adjust the Handbrake

I'll start by saying I've tried searching on 2 different computers and 2 different browsers. No luck. (I used to be ale to search, don't know what happened)

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the hand brake on a 3rd gen max. It's a five speed if it makes any difference. Right now it's so loose it barely holds me on a hill when pulled all the way. I've heard you can usually just pull off the center console and adjust a bolt to tighten it. Well, I've got the center console laying on my driver side seat and I don't see any bolts.

I also noticed a couple of electrical connectors/cables which run up to my shifter, but don't connect to anything. WTF is that all about?
THANKS!
Old 12-15-2003, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by xveganxcowboyx
I'll start by saying I've tried searching on 2 different computers and 2 different browsers. No luck. (I used to be ale to search, don't know what happened)

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the hand brake on a 3rd gen max. It's a five speed if it makes any difference. Right now it's so loose it barely holds me on a hill when pulled all the way. I've heard you can usually just pull off the center console and adjust a bolt to tighten it. Well, I've got the center console laying on my driver side seat and I don't see any bolts.

I also noticed a couple of electrical connectors/cables which run up to my shifter, but don't connect to anything. WTF is that all about?
THANKS!
There's a 10mm bolt in vertical position right by the place where the brake lever goes into the floor....its on the driver side of the lever. you would need a long neck 10mm socket to tighten it...i am assuming the 92 max has this.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:38 PM

My brake was loose like that... it wasnt because I needed to tighten the bolt in the console but because the thing the cable pulled on on the caliper was frozen in place(drivers side) I haven't pulled the wheel off the pasengers side but i assume that one is frozen too... so if tightening the bolt doesnt work for you take the back wheels off and check to see if anythign is frozen...
Old 12-15-2003, 03:17 PM

I really must be missing something. There are 2 12mm bolts holding the handbrakes' frame, but nothing to adjust. I shot some cleaner into the brakes. that's all I have time to do rigght now. I guess I'll have to try again later.