3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

so far so good (long follow-up)..............

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so far so good (long follow-up)..............

Hi all:

It's been a while since I posted, I was the guy who had the intermittent stalling problem especially under hard acceleration. I promised I'd fill you in on how it turned out. Well here's the story so far...........

Anyway, I *think* it turned out to be the MAF (mass air flow sensor) after all. That said, I will find out for sure in the summer.

With the cooler weather the on-off'ing got less frequent. But I found someone willing to part with a BRAND NEW replacement MAF from Nissan last week! Oh my God what a find.

Basically he was trying to resurrect a 1991 MaxSE with the VG engine and someone told him to get a new MAF from Nissan. Turns out that wasn't the problem and they could never get the car to cooperate so he junked it. He sold me the OEM replacement MAF *AND* the stock MAF for $70 yeah baybee YEEEAAAAHHHH!

;-)

Of course I was all over that like white on rice. And both MAF's seem to be working okay.

Anyway, I swapped out the OEM new MAF for mine and for the last 3 days I haven't had any stalling at all, particularly under hard acceleration the car feels smooth and I don't have that nervous feeling like the car's about to hiccup. In fact, there seems to be a smoother power delivery now with this new MAF than even before my old MAF started hiccupping.

But I'll have to keep an eye on her, it's only been 4 days, and it has been cold and snowy and my major problems were over the summer with the hotter weather.

So anyway, I think I have it licked.

Just to summarize then. When the problem started I checked:

a) The coils
b) The plugs
c) The wiring
d) Swapped out MAF's with MAF's from junked cars - they were even worse!
e) I never swapped the O2 sensor because I figured if that was the problem the check engine light would come on and it never came on.

Keep in mind the problem never showed on the diagnostic so I was on my own with this like most of you are.

It finally seems okay now with a brand new MAF.

Anyway, I would say this, CAVEAT EMPTOR when buying MAF's from a wrecker. I don't think many of them are okay. Of course they may give you a credit but you're still out the cash you paid and you have to go to another wrecker for another MAF.

Apparently there's an aftermarket MAF available and it costs around 65% of the dealer OEM replacement. I guess if I couldn't find this steal of a MAF I would have had to go to the aftermarket MAF. But then again, I probably never would have bought that cuz that was a cool $400 and I just wouldn't put up that kinda dough. But then again, my car was not at the dangerous point some of yours were. It was stalling and jerking around but it wasn't doing it every two seconds, just once every couple of hours and usually at speed so I could turn the motor over while in flight.

So there you have it, I'll write you guys in a couple of weeks to let you know if it has stalled since then. Hopefully it'll be okay, wish me luck!

In the meantime I wish a Merry Christmas and a Joyous New Year to all here on the board. I hope the coming year is prosperous and full of learning and accomplishment for everyone.

Take care and God bless,

Paul

92 Maxima SE 5 spd
Old 12-15-2003, 01:28 PM

knew it would be that, the maf is a pita. it is confusing, im just glad mine wasnt bad.

DONT BY GAS AT RANDALLS, i filled up at shell and now my idle is much better and the acceleration is better.