3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Digi Climate ontrol Blows Cold Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 11:32 PM

Digi Climate ontrol Blows Cold Air

Hey

in a 93 GXE with Digital Climate control the centre vents are always on. EVen when other points are sleected and they blow COLD air. absolutely cold air.

When the vents themselves are selected the air becomes a mixture and therefore it is still not warm enough?

any ideas,
it is horrible without a heater and defogger

I searched and found nothing by the way
Thanks
Amin
Old 12-17-2003, 02:28 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Amin
Hey

in a 93 GXE with Digital Climate control the centre vents are always on. EVen when other points are sleected and they blow COLD air. absolutely cold air.

When the vents themselves are selected the air becomes a mixture and therefore it is still not warm enough?

any ideas,
it is horrible without a heater and defogger

I searched and found nothing by the way
Thanks
Amin
Doesn't the digital climate controls have that little outside air mix **** thingie like the manual controls have??? Just to the left of the climate controls??
Old 12-17-2003, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Make sure your outside vent is closed. It the up and down lever on the left side of the climate control. Down is closed. If that isn't it, open the hood and look for the heater core stopcock/valve. It mounted on the firewall almost righ in the middle. There are some vacuum lines that go in and out of it. Make sure everything is connected. If thats not it, you get heat right away, set the climate control to a high temp and manually open the afore mentioned heatercore valve. There is a 1/4' by 1/8' rod like thing that point to the passenger side. You can manually move it to the left (as you look at it from the front). It will let hot coolent flow to the heater core.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:37 AM

The digital one has that ****.

I kind of think that is the problem. it seems somewhat loose. as it is not my car I can't tell if it has changed but certailny doesn't move "crispy".

But the thing the air is blowing with force. it is cold air out of a fan and not due to the cars motion. do these cars have two heater cores?!
what the hell is up with that?

TodaMax,

when should that actuator move. I found some vacuum actuated thingy on the firewall. and it is on the heater hose path too. But I couln't see it running.

there was no vacuum is the actuator at all time that I saw and I changed the setting a bit to see if it moves,

could you let me know what that thing does and when it moves
Old 12-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had a similar problem with mins and found that my coolant wasnt filled to the proper level. There is also a tempature sensor behind the plastic cover (under hazard) that causes all kinds of problems when not connected. I found this out when I was installing a tv. One time i forgot to connect it and I could only get cold air.
Give those two things a shot?
Old 12-17-2003, 03:47 PM

I will try

but the defogger is somwwhat warm
AND: why the hell does the face vent blows when it is on everyother mod?!!?

how many fans do these cars have?
howmany cores?
Old 12-17-2003, 04:14 PM

TodaMax,

when should that actuator move. I found some vacuum actuated thingy on the firewall. and it is on the heater hose path too. But I couln't see it running.

there was no vacuum is the actuator at all time that I saw and I changed the setting a bit to see if it moves,

could you let me know what that thing does and when it moves
That thing operates the valve that lets hot coolent flow into the heatercore. Without the hot coolent, you will not have heat. Manually move the little arm (its parallel to the firewall) to the left of the car, and it will open and let the coolent flow. It is supposed to move when the heat is turned on and up, but there could be any number of reasons its not opening on its own...
Old 12-17-2003, 05:45 PM

I will try

but the defogger is somwwhat warm
AND: why the hell does the face vent blows when it is on everyother mod?!!?

how many fans do these cars have?
howmany cores?
no there is only one heater core...just one fan too....do the face vents blow cold air ONLY when driving? cuz if they do...then your fresh air vent (the up and down **** thingy to the left of the digital climate display) is open. If you think its lose...you can manually close the fresh vent by looking under the dash FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE towards the center of the dash...there is a blue wire connected to a little hook...that hook moves right and left.

to close it, move the hook to the left. (driver's side)

You might wanna remove the glove box to gain better access to the cable.

for the heater valve on the firewall in the engine bay, make sure the little vaccum pipes attach to it fit tightly on their holes...they can crack and eliminate the vaccum.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:44 PM

the cold air is by a fan,
it's got some force

even when the car iis stopped
Old 12-18-2003, 02:28 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

the cold air is by a fan,
it's got some force

even when the car iis stopped
It'll still be under the same principal, Amin. Check that cable as well as the lever, like drstillpatient suggested. It seems like maybe your cables are binding somewhere.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:26 PM

i'll try,

where is the thermostat for these cars?!
Old 12-19-2003, 08:38 PM

i'll try,

where is the thermostat for these cars?!

its to the right side of the engine...somewhere close to the timing belt cover. But if there's a problem with the thermostat, your engine temperature needle will be right at the bottom instead of the middle of the temp guage when u drive the car. If the temp needle stays in the middle after your car has warmed up and WHILE u drive it around then there is nothing wrong with your thermostat at the time being.

Did u try looking at the blue cable under the dash?
Old 12-19-2003, 11:06 PM

check coolant level in radiator, and expansion tank. And check the above recommendations by the other posters and keep us up to date. good luck.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:23 AM

I brought the thermostat in becuase from no where in this car I can get good whot air out. it is warm but not as hot as it would be in any other car.

and the guage stays below the middle. that is, not perfectly horizontal. should it?

If the thermostat opens at a lower temperature than it should, that would happen. Sudden drop of needle in highway or as the car moves only happens when the thermostat stays dead open.

I am also suspecting air in the core as I have read in a few threads that these cars are vulnerable to that. This I KNOW is not related to cold air from face vent. But might fix the general lack of hotness.

how could I do that?!

One post I read suggested to lift the front of the car about a meter. There is just no ****ing way I could do so without hitting the rear bumper and exhaust to the ground!

what is the solution?!
Old 12-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Im izz sexay

In my car The plastic top on the radiator cracked but it didn't leak or steam. I wasn't receiving any type of warm air until I had the radiator replaced. No it is hot. Have your radiator checked.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:39 PM

I brought the thermostat in becuase from no where in this car I can get good whot air out. it is warm but not as hot as it would be in any other car.

and the guage stays below the middle. that is, not perfectly horizontal. should it?

If the thermostat opens at a lower temperature than it should, that would happen. Sudden drop of needle in highway or as the car moves only happens when the thermostat stays dead open.

I am also suspecting air in the core as I have read in a few threads that these cars are vulnerable to that. This I KNOW is not related to cold air from face vent. But might fix the general lack of hotness.

how could I do that?!

One post I read suggested to lift the front of the car about a meter. There is just no ****ing way I could do so without hitting the rear bumper and exhaust to the ground!

what is the solution?!

Yes , the air in the heater core is a common issue in the 89-91 maxima. Yes the factory recommended procedure is to raise the front end 39 inches off the ground to get the radiator to be the highest point in the cooling system so air comes out. NO you wont hit the exaust if you're stock height.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:48 PM

Yes guys,

just to update for future searches
the problem WAS the vent ****, the cable has come loose from the **** end. I stuck my head underneath and turned in manually,

the car is 93, is that heater core air issue still a problem and it applies to this year of car?!?!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:49 PM

Yes guys,

just to update for future searches
the problem WAS the vent ****, the cable has come loose from the **** end. I stuck my head underneath and turned in manually,

the car is 93, is that heater core air issue still a problem and it applies to this year of car?!?!

well did u get your heating back?? is it hot or mild? the heater core air lock was mostly a problem on the 89-91 maximas.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:59 PM

why do most gxes have the digital auto climate and the se s have manual climate controls? GXEs are cheaper than the se s and why do they have the better system?
Old 01-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
why do most gxes have the digital auto climate and the se s have manual climate controls? GXEs are cheaper than the se s and why do they have the better system?
Better car