3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Converting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 09:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Converting Questions

Im a newbie at everything with Maxima as im a German Auto guy as i am into BMW's more then anything right now but my mother has a 1990 GXE and yeah its a peice of **** right now but i honestly think it has some potential since all it needs is a lil money (lol) and TLC and she will be back to new again.

Anyway my question is that Did any maximas come with a manual transmissions wich i am assuming they did but then that brings me to ask how hard is it to swap in a manual tranny, what is involved, how much would this cost all that good information oh and also were is the best place to pick one up.

For the 80's 3 seires BMW doing an Auto to Manual is possible and not hard to do if you are willing to take the time to do the labor so i would guess this can be done with japenese autos also such as the Maxima.

Also is there a way to convert to an Analog dash/speedometer instead of a Digital this digtal dash has NEVER worked and has been replaced before and then worked for a 2 weeks then quit, Is there a way to fix it and if not how hard is it to convert to analog, again any and every information about this will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Old 12-20-2003, 09:32 PM

its actually real simple, all you have to do is find a donor car. a 89-91 se will have the VG, which will be the same tranny. all there is to do, is pretty much swap the linkage, swap the tranny, add a clutch pedal, swap the flywheel, and as far as i know thats it, but its prolly best to find a donor car, all the parts are transferrreable. not sure about the dash, i have an atc, but not any other parts.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:45 PM
Im izz sexay

O/T
Since you are german are you considering the E36's headlight swap. Possibly some Angel Eyes Hellas HID will do you some real good too?
Old 12-20-2003, 09:56 PM

yep, with those e36 lights, the max really does start to look similar to the beemers of the mid 90's. it has a nice cleen sleek body, like a beemer, and the rear doors also look similar. once you shave the trunk, it gets even closer.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No E36 headlights. ha ha

I am actually kinda getting tired of reading about BMW's since i have been there done that kinda junk as in lets see i have replaced about everything there is in the intiror from seats to dashboard that even includes the carpet and many other things, my next big thing is the extieror on the car wich will be a big progress but im sure it will turn out great i have also replaced the engine in my BMW and i will be doing another engine swap shortly so im going from a 325e to 325i pretty soon.

Here is a pic of my BMW, it is a 1986 BMW 325eS, Black on Tan and has a 5 spd tranny.

I "might" consider doing atleast one thing to my moms car like converting to an analog dash if that is even possible and the cost of course.

E30's were made from 1984-1991, 1992 Covertibles were considered E30's also.

E36's were made from 1992-1998

E46 1999-Current

A lil quick info about the 3 seires BMW's

No offense to anyone on this board but, Just to save every Maxima lover out there from getting hated and harassed. never ever try installing BMW parts onto you car as it will never look like a BMW but again it will be close but not close enough

Rembeber what ever you do to your car it will always be maxima but to each his own, every one has there own tastes in automotive customizing and i myself enjoy seeing everyones work whether or not i would personally like it.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nice e30. My friend had a eurospec 88 (87? whatever year(s) had the ellipsoids) 325is with the H&R cup kit and some borbet 15" rims w/ s03's. That car railed. Got a few pics if you are interested.

As to the 5spd swap, you can read up on a few of the threads way back in the past to see what others have done. You woulnd't be the only one to do the 5spd swap. As for the dash, I don't see why it wouldn't be a plug n play deal, you'd just need to find another car to get it from.

Plus, after you get the tranny and dash in, you might want to upgrade the brakes & suspension. The Eibach/Tokico combo is quite popular, with a front strut brace and a rear sway bar. Alos, check up with matt93se for some special suspension mods that he has made himself (lower tie bar, rear strut brace). Since you have a GXe, the car has rear drum brakes. You can convert them to discs if you get the parts off a 89-91 SE. Check up on the forum as that has been covered a bit as well.

Good luck with the car.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:27 AM
mod or sell?

Basically what has been said here is:
get an 89 -91 SE parts car (if you can)
and pull it's trans (assuming you found a manual trans one)
and it's gauge cluster
and it's rear discs
All of it is bolt on bolt off type stuff
Also get the FSM it'll make life much easier.
You may also be able to get some help from members out in that area too, so check out the regional forums as well
Old 12-21-2003, 08:31 AM
Way out West

Internetautomart hit it right on the head about what you need to do with your Maxima.

I don't think anyone here puts E36 headlights on their Max to make it look like a BMW. Most people do it for two reasons: 1) the stock headlights suck 2) It is a relatively simple "mod" that makes your car somewhat unique. Look at the cars that have done the conversion. It doesn't look like a BMW, it just looks like a Max with round headlights.

Since you are up here in the NW, you might want to ask Jeff92SE, MrGone or Dave ^ about junkyards and other info about a possible swap. I know all four of us have VE (DOHC) engines, so we probably don't have many parts that can help you.

Welcome to the .org
Old 12-21-2003, 11:03 AM

Ebay always seems to have analog guages up for auction. Not sure if it's just the face or the whole set-up, but their not expensive.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is my mothers car so i wont be doing very much modifying to it. lol

I am just curious of what options there are out there with these cars, in a couple years or so my mother will be possibly getting rid of the Maxima and if im still interested in them i might take it, Kinda like a handy me down or whatever and then start a whole new project from there and now that i know you can covert to a 5 spd easy that makes me want it even more but the downside is that this car needs a motherload of work to it to make even look alright but heck im up for a hard task like this.

I honestly really love the 3rd gen maxi's i like the way the body lines are just the way the whole car flows but they are just pure boats but its all good.

The aligment is off on this car and it has been in atleast 3 accidents and the last almost or should i say should have totalled this car hehe it was rear ended and hit hard enough that it jammed the trunk lid and smashed the attena i beileve oh and damaged the door so on so on, the dash i would swap out the seats need to be swapped out the headunit and speakers (whats left atleast), speedometer, steering wheel. basically everything
Old 12-22-2003, 11:36 AM

Sheesh, if'n I was you, I'd forget about that max with as much as you're going to have to change and buy another 3rd gen to mod..sounds like that max has been around.. (get yer minds outta the gutter, theres not enough room for all of us)