3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Coolant Leak....Only when it's cold??? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 05:20 PM

Coolant Leak....Only when it's cold??? (long)

All right people, it's the newest chapter in small things that REALLY GET ON MY NERVES!!!

I have an antifreeze/coolant leak. It only leaks when the motor is cold. I can drive it all day long and it won't drip a drop (I monitor it closely). I can sit in a parking lot and have it idling or revving and it won't drip after warming up. But when the car is cold or when it sits overnight, all the antifreeze in the reserve tank is on the ground.

It is not leaking from the reserve tank. (That would be too freaking easy, right?) I haven't found the exact place, but the area, roughly, is somewhere around the three pulleys on the left side (looking in, driver seat on right) and I can see it dripping when I look through the opening between the wheel well and the engine. I just can't see where it's coming from. It will be undoubtedly a project requiring placing my head under a 2000+ lb car. Needless to say, I don't wanna be there long.

I suspect that it is a hose that is not properly secured (I have had 2 other ones to do that, but they were easy to see). I am NOWHERE NEAR 100% sure though. Can anybody give me a more specific place to look??? Are there even any hoses down there to not be secured? If you need any other info, I'll try my best to provide it. I'm still trying to get used to the engine layout... (Changed my own oil last weekend, felt darn good...)

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2003, 06:18 PM
mod or sell?

could be water pump, could be hose, you're just gonna have to start checking things the hard way.
or get some dye and trace the leak thata way
Old 12-21-2003, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I vote water pump. You see this is simple physics. When your engine heats up it expands and the leak seals up. When it cools... well you know what happens next. If I had to bet Id say your water pump needs replacing but im not there looking.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by landjet32
I vote water pump. You see this is simple physics. When your engine heats up it expands and the leak seals up. When it cools... well you know what happens next. If I had to bet Id say your water pump needs replacing but im not there looking.

Ok, i figured out that it was an expanding/contraction thing, just didn't know what was showing me what i needed to pass physics for in the real world. How much are water pumps??? (feel free internetautomar, i know u got one...)

And how much work is it to put in a new one?

Thanx for your input too, landjet...I love you guys (in a not gay sorta way...)
Old 12-22-2003, 07:21 AM
mod or sell?

Yeah I got em'
Water Pumps:
VG Airtex:AW9074 $35.00
VG Generic:AW9074 $25.00
You can easily buy em off my website.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:50 AM

Wow, I was having the same problem and I was dreading having to replace the water pump because I was told it was a very expensive part. I guess I should've checked with you first.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:00 AM
mod or sell?

Just remember to change the timing belt while you're in there
Old 12-22-2003, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Just remember to change the timing belt while you're in there
How much work is it to change all of that, and not that I don't trust you, but why do I need to change the timing belt too??? Everything else should be working, and I still gotta buy hood struts so I can keep my hood up to do the replacements. I don't got it like that ($$$)!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:12 AM
mod or sell?

these cars are interference motors (VG) and if the belt snaps be ready to replace valve and heads.
The belt is behind the waterpump so you've already done half the labor anyways.
The timing belt is supposed to be replaced every 60k
Old 12-22-2003, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by icemanhg3
All right people, it's the newest chapter in small things that REALLY GET ON MY NERVES!!!

I have an antifreeze/coolant leak. It only leaks when the motor is cold. I can drive it all day long and it won't drip a drop (I monitor it closely). I can sit in a parking lot and have it idling or revving and it won't drip after warming up. But when the car is cold or when it sits overnight, all the antifreeze in the reserve tank is on the ground.

It is not leaking from the reserve tank. (That would be too freaking easy, right?) I haven't found the exact place, but the area, roughly, is somewhere around the three pulleys on the left side (looking in, driver seat on right) and I can see it dripping when I look through the opening between the wheel well and the engine. I just can't see where it's coming from. It will be undoubtedly a project requiring placing my head under a 2000+ lb car. Needless to say, I don't wanna be there long.

I suspect that it is a hose that is not properly secured (I have had 2 other ones to do that, but they were easy to see). I am NOWHERE NEAR 100% sure though. Can anybody give me a more specific place to look??? Are there even any hoses down there to not be secured? If you need any other info, I'll try my best to provide it. I'm still trying to get used to the engine layout... (Changed my own oil last weekend, felt darn good...)

Thanks!

check your thermostat housing as well just to be sure.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:44 PM

Okay people, I've got a couple pictures of where the leak is. For some reason, I can't post an attachment of the pic on here, so if anybody is willing to look and tell me what the problem is, I can email you the pic. Or, if you see me on IM, I can send you the picture that way.

The leak seems to be coming from the bottom of where the three belts meet on the left side of the engine (looking in front, facing the engine). Please post your email addy's or hit me on "icemanhg3" on AIM so I can send you the picture.

THANKS!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 04:44 PM

BUMPING...anyone who can help can get the pic tonight....
Old 12-28-2003, 06:20 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by icemanhg3
BUMPING...anyone who can help can get the pic tonight....
I haven't seen you on IM yet so I can't get the pic
Old 12-29-2003, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I haven't seen you on IM yet so I can't get the pic
lol....I knew that somebody would miss me in the 4 little hours that i was at work yesterday, go figure....i'll be on all night tonight...off today