3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

which muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 06:45 PM

which muffler?

alright i just finished doing a semi search (surfing through the 12 pages of this forum) and i didn't see anything. what type of muffler should i get?i've been looking at some mufflers from different online stores but there are so many of them i don't even know where to start. i'm trying not to spend over $100 for one and i'd like one that doesn't sound too loud. i don't get what the difference between the ones for specific cars and universal ones. what diameter should i get. i'm buying the bpipe from warpspeed so what size inlet do i need?

thanks a lot
Old 12-24-2003, 07:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

im pretty sure warpspeeds pipe is 2.5" so i would look for one that size but if you have a muffler shop put it all together they can make any size work
Old 12-24-2003, 07:26 PM

i'm gunna install it myself. someone said i might be able to use a clamp to secure the muffler onto the bpipe. so i'll do that. i'm just trying to figure out which muffler i need to buy. does anybody know if i can make the stock muffle fit the warpspeed bpipe or would this not be a good idea

thanks

Originally Posted by subs1000w
im pretty sure warpspeeds pipe is 2.5" so i would look for one that size but if you have a muffler shop put it all together they can make any size work
Old 12-24-2003, 07:29 PM
mod or sell?

Not a good idea as the stock muffler is like a 2 - 2 1/4" inlet so you'd be choking it there.
Go with a Magnaflow , Flowmaster, or Dynomax muffler.
You can check my line card for links to their sites and then let me know which one you want.
I also Sell a few other brands of mufflers just can't remember them all right now
Old 12-24-2003, 09:53 PM

could I get away with buying a 2.5" inlet muffler, adapting it to the factory piping for now, and then buying the rest of the exhaust later?
Old 12-25-2003, 12:04 AM

if you run by an exhaust shop they can bend some pieces of metal to adapt the 2.25 inch to 2.5 inch or you can run by autozone and see if they have a conversion that will work for you.

i wouldn't clamp the muffler on. i would have it welded on. too much of a chance of it falling off (don't want that shiny new muffler to go bye bye), doesn't look very good, doesn't seal very good, etc.

i have a magnaflow on my car and love it. sounded good with stock exhaust system and sounds good with my new setup (straight from the turbo back). it is louder with this setup but doesn't drone hardly at all and isn't all that loud compared to some others i've heard... cough rice mufflers cough
Old 12-25-2003, 06:14 AM
mod or sell?

The adapters are readily available for like $5 at most stores.
I'd highly recomend professional installation unless you know how to weld. As our stock mufflers have brackets holding them up that most "performance" aftermarket ones lack.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:59 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I want to put my 2 cents in...

I think the best sounding setup would be Ypipe, stock cat, stock Bpipe and stock Muffler. BUT, I haven't personally tried Ypipe, cat, WSP Bpipe, and stock muffler. I think that would sound good too.

But, if you are concerned about raspy sounding stuff, then don't get Ypipe, testpipe, stock Bpipe and stock muffler. When you remove the cat, it doesn't sound NEARLY as clean. I get a little rattling and some raspy sounds at certain rpm.

There is NOTHING wrong with bolting your muffler or Bpipe on IF it's done correctly. I've heard of an NC 4th gen guy's Bpipe falling off b/c he obviously didn't bolt it up good enough. But if you find the right exhaust coupling at AutoZone and get heavy duty clamps, then your muffler won't fall off.

When youa re trying to bolt up exhaust components, make sure you go to AutoZone and ask if you can do that loan a tool program they have. Ask for a "Tail Pipe Expander". That will allow you to stretch the exhaust couplings so that it's a PERFECT dry fit. Then the clamps will just make everything snug.

CanadianMaxima, to answer your question, I would keep the stock muffler and since you are already going to buy the WSP Bpipe, you can just bolt the stock muffler to that. Get a vernier caliper and check the exact outside diameter of the WSP Bpipe and then check the OD of the stock muffler. (*edit* My OD of the pipe right before the muffler is 2.18") Then go to AutoZone with that caliper and measure the couplings until you find one that is PERFECT. It shouldn't fit until you use that tailpipe expander to stretch the coupling a bit. You don't want the coupling to be too big b/c it will just smash into an oval shape and it won't seal.

Also, a little fact that nobody seems to know: By changing your muffler to a LOUD straight thru muffler and a good mandrel bent Bpipe, you will only shave 1 to 1.5 tenths in the 1/4 mile. It's not noticable in the butt dyno except for the loss of low end you'll feel. You shouldn't be able to feel the gain in top end if it's smooth. So just get Ypipe, stock cat, WSP Bpipe and stock muffler. It should sound pretty decent depending on the resonator you get with the WSP Bpipe. I hope this helps.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:06 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
could I get away with buying a 2.5" inlet muffler, adapting it to the factory piping for now, and then buying the rest of the exhaust later?
Yes you can. As I said above, you can get exhaust couplings at a parts store and adapt it to fit with exhaust clamps. OR you can just go to a muffler shop, hand them the muffler and say, weld this on and give me my stock muffler back.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:06 AM

Thanks, I think after I take care of other priorities, I'll buy a new muffler and tack weld the couplings and such in place at my uncle's shop (I'm not a great welder, but with exhaust, I can git' r done) so I can grind any welds back out when I get the rest of the exhaust system..I'd replace it all at once, but since the stock muffler is finally starting to rust through (12 years old and FINALLY starting to rust through..), I'm better off replacing what I can afford to do soon rather than wait for there to be no muffler at all (which would happen before I could come up with the cash to buy a complete exhaust system at once)
Old 12-26-2003, 10:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Also, a little fact that nobody seems to know: By changing your muffler to a LOUD straight thru muffler and a good mandrel bent Bpipe, you will only shave 1 to 1.5 tenths in the 1/4 mile. It's not noticable in the butt dyno except for the loss of low end you'll feel. You shouldn't be able to feel the gain in top end if it's smooth. So just get Ypipe, stock cat, WSP Bpipe and stock muffler. It should sound pretty decent depending on the resonator you get with the WSP Bpipe. I hope this helps.
Interesting info Aaron. What exactly is your current setup and how is it for noise anyway?
Old 12-26-2003, 03:28 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Bman
Interesting info Aaron. What exactly is your current setup and how is it for noise anyway?
My current setup and IMHO, the BEST street/track setup is: WSP Ypipe, WSP Testpipe w/ 2.5" cutout and McCord Power Plate, Stock Bpipe, and stock muffler.

The sound is raspy at times b/c of the lack of the cat. That always makes things sound a little wierd. I have it listed on my webpage.

As for the noise level, it's VERY quiet and at idle, you can kinda hear a deeper tone come from the muffler b/c of the Ypipe. But at WOT, my intake roar is so much louder than the muffler, you can't hear the exhaust anymore... UNLESS my cutout is open. haha
Old 12-26-2003, 04:36 PM

flowmaster
Old 12-26-2003, 07:50 PM
UCF Lexus

B L I T Z!!!
Old 12-26-2003, 09:55 PM

I'll have a flowmaster for sale in a few days, but it's only for the guys who like loud deep noise.