3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Any aftermarket distributor caps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 08:35 AM

Any aftermarket distributor caps?

The pins in the stock cap are made of aluminum. After a year or two the pins oxidize where the spark heats them up near the rotor contact. This aluminum oxide is an excellent insulator, which causes rough idling, bad starting and lazy acceleration on all cars, not only Maximas. I have been removing Al2O3 from the caps of my friends cars in the last 3 years with very good results.
I know that not all cars have aluminum pins, for instance Folkswagen has brass pins and brass rotor contact.
Is anyone aware of the aftermarket/performance distributor cap and rotor for Maxima where the contacts would not be made of aluminum? I would love to have one...

If not, I am starting to think of a modification to the stock cap to install other metal on top of aluminum, but this must be hard because of electrolisys between aluminum and almost any other metal... Ideas?
Old 12-25-2003, 08:43 AM
mod or sell?

Basically if you want brass you're gonna have to go to different stores and look at what they have. I'm pretty sure some company makes the cap and rotor with brass contacts.
It'll just have to be an aftermarket company not OE
Old 12-25-2003, 10:48 PM

talking of rotors....i am putting in a new rotor head...but the damn thing wont come out , yeah i got the little bolt out...but it still wont come lose...do i just have to yank it or take out the whole rotor apparatus along with the gears and all?
Old 12-26-2003, 06:35 AM
mod or sell?

Yank it yank!
Old 12-26-2003, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll try to find it!

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Basically if you want brass you're gonna have to go to different stores and look at what they have. I'm pretty sure some company makes the cap and rotor with brass contacts.
It'll just have to be an aftermarket company not OE
You would want to yank it out, because if you take out the whole distributor, you will have to mark it first and then make sure that the engine is not disturbed. Anyway, the rotor should come out with no effort at all.

Originally Posted by drstillpatient
talking of rotors....i am putting in a new rotor head...but the damn thing wont come out , yeah i got the little bolt out...but it still wont come lose...do i just have to yank it or take out the whole rotor apparatus along with the gears and all?
Old 12-26-2003, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tarzan

You would want to yank it out, because if you take out the whole distributor, you will have to mark it first and then make sure that the engine is not disturbed. Anyway, the rotor should come out with no effort at all.

man , thats the problem....its just not coming out even with a lot of effort. i dont wanna break anything ... but i just wanted to be sure i wasnt missing anything that its not coming out.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:08 PM
mod or sell?

Just brake the f-in rotor
Old 12-26-2003, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Just brake the f-in rotor

ten-four...