3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

1991 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1991 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

Hi,
I have some strange starting problem with my car Nissan Maxima 91 model.
I just took it to a car mechanic to fix it. But he couldn't figure out the solution for the problem. He said the fuel is injected perfectly and the sparker also working fine. He tested the system with an computing device which said everything is ok.
It happened all of a sudden on the day of this new year. I started the car, drove it and stopped it. When I try to restart it again, it is not. I have to leave it for a while and then if I start, it starts for once. Then again same condition... leave it for a while and then restart. It runs perfectly when I drove it.
I don't know what's going on? Have any one came across such problem. I would appreciate if someone could respond for this weird problem.
Thanks,
Mohideen.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

is this constant or every other start or so?? also, is it an auto?? could be the neutral start switch thingamabob...next time this happens to you, put the car in neutral and see if it starts, if so then its the neutral switch blah, blah.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:42 PM
No turbo, no care!

Yes actualy I had the EXACT same problem. I replaced it several times with remanufactured starters, but the problem kept coming back. When the engine is warm, it has a hard time starting, but cold it starts right up, right? Well through some testing I found out the the starter was pulling close to 300AMPs when warm, but much less when cold. What would cause this? Well Nissan coats their starters with a epoxy that reduces internal friction in the starters. Some companies that remanufacture starters dip them in acid to remove any oil or dirt, but this process also removes the epoxy. The lack of this friction reducing epoxy, along with the heat causes too much friction inside the starter, which then requires more current than your battery can supply.
Anyway, I finaly broke down and bought a genuine Nissan starter and I havent had a problem since (9 years now) There maybe some starter remanufactures who recoat the starter, I dont know. Internetautomar should be able to get you a quality starter, reman or otherwise.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:47 PM
mod or sell?

:biggrin:
Old 10-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

UTnissanFreak

I am having this same problem. I started my car up. ( automatic 91 maxima) I drove to the gas station. Turned it off and got gas went to turn it on and just cranks over and over and a steady pace. I pushed it into a parking spot out of the way went home got starter fluid and before I tried using started fluid. I just thought I'd try to start the car again. It started up just fine and just drove it home. Right when I got home however I turned it off and instantly tried turning it back on. Didn't work. I tried using started fluid but still will not turn over and run.

Last edited by UThawkesTSI.; 10-18-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Incorrect message
Old 10-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Response to replacing starter

I don't understand why replacing starter would fix this issue. It's turning over and sounds like its cranking at correct speed. I could be wrong of course just wanted feedback maybe. I just am curious. Thanks for any feed back. This it is my daily and would love feed back as soon as possible. I have tried starting in neutral as well and having same problem.

Last edited by UThawkesTSI.; 10-18-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Incorrect info
Old 10-18-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by UThawkesTSI.
I don't understand why replacing starter would fix this issue. It's turning over and sounds like its cranking at correct speed. I could be wrong of course just wanted feedback maybe. I just am curious. Thanks for any feed back. This it is my daily and would love feed back as soon as possible. I have tried starting in neutral as well and having same problem.

Just a heads up but your posting on a 10 yr old thread.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:39 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by UThawkesTSI.
Did someone tell you to replace the starter? If the engine turns over at the correct speed then there is nothing wrong with the starter. I would check the coolant temp sensor and its wiring first as this is a common issue that can cause hard starts or no start at all. If that's not the issue, I would recommend a general tune up. New distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs and their wires, and new fuel filter are all commonly neglected maintenance and that could make starting difficult.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
Did someone tell you to replace the starter? If the engine turns over at the correct speed then there is nothing wrong with the starter. I would check the coolant temp sensor and its wiring first as this is a common issue that can cause hard starts or no start at all. If that's not the issue, I would recommend a general tune up. New distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs and their wires, and new fuel filter are all commonly neglected maintenance and that could make starting difficult.
+1 to this.

Tune her up!

Moreover, I can personally attest to the shenanigans that a bad coolant temperature sensor can cause, all of which ultimately came to a head and resulted in a no-start situation for my car intermittently, and then one day, kaput, no more starting. Just crankity crankity crank.

Replaced it and it fired up like nothing happened at all. Hours upon hours of stress and trouble trying to figure out the problem, all that over a $20 part and less than 5 minutes of effort that I didn't actually believe to be the cause. Ended up having to replace the starter a week later because I'm sure I killed it after the endless cranking - given that it was likely the original starter, 25 years was a pretty good run!