3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Where could I hook up neons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 07:44 PM

Where could I hook up neons?

Where could I get power to hook up 2 15" neon lights that I mounted under the dashboard on the driver and passengers side?...

I tried to the cigg lighter, and I some how made the speedometer and clock light to go out. not a good idea....

So... if anybody knows how I could fix the speedo and clock, or where I could mount neon lights, please share...
Old 01-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Maxima Withdrawl is real

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin
Where could I get power to hook up 2 15" neon lights that I mounted under the dashboard on the driver and passengers side?...

I tried to the cigg lighter, and I some how made the speedometer and clock light to go out. not a good idea....

So... if anybody knows how I could fix the speedo and clock, or where I could mount neon lights, please share...

What I did was ran a dedicated line from the battery with a fuse in it and then wired them to a switch to control them.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:58 PM

um... also i forgot to add, the ac controls don't work.

BML94GXE, where did you wire it through the firewall, and how did you hook the fuse up?
Old 01-02-2004, 08:27 PM

well, you can tap them into an ignition controlled fuse(not sure which, I don't have the diagram inside and don't really feel like running out to the car to get the fuse block cover), or you can wire them into the step light switches if you dont mind them being off when the doors are closed..or you can run wires straight to the battery and install a switch (if you have multiple neons or intentions of having multiple neons later, this might not be a bad idea, just build the switch in a box or panel or somthing..maybe custom build somthing in the coin holder slot..)
Old 01-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Maxima Withdrawl is real

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin
um... also i forgot to add, the ac controls don't work.

BML94GXE, where did you wire it through the firewall, and how did you hook the fuse up?
alright, what i did was connected it to the batery, and placed a fuse there in a fuse holder. and ran the wire up to the fire wall. I then Drilled a whole in the firewall , cause I have a few wires that go through there on the right side of that big black oval under the hood, about where the streering wheel is. (I think its part of SRS / airbags) then what I did is i ran the wire through and got a fuse holder from auto zone and placed it in the line there. (Over protection in know but i cant afford to have things short out on me and stuff like that) After that I Sent the power to a switch and then to the neons. Grounding the neons to the closest body touching part. I am more than happy to snap a few digital photos to help you out and post them f you would like. Just let me know. I did it htis way so to NOT interefere with any of the cars coputer systems and wiring so it would not short stuff out like it did for you. oh and i did place all my switches in the coinh holder slots case its the only good use for them .
Old 01-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Maxima Withdrawl is real

http://bml94gxe.nismo.org/1.jpg
http://bml94gxe.nismo.org/2.jpg
The last two switches are a bit crooked cause i have not finished tightening them down yet. And then i put an LED in in the last one just so i know when my LED body kit is on
Old 01-02-2004, 09:12 PM

that big black oval thing is your brake master cylinder..

What you did is the safest thing, although a little more complicated and they don't come on with the ignition or parking lights..

You might try what I reccomended and either wire them into an ignition triggered fuse in the fuse block by using fuse taps, or if you feel motivated enough, you can wire them into the parking lights so they only come on when you have your parking lights/headlights on..

YET ANOTHER option is to wire them into the ignition activated fuse, build a light sensor to tell when its dark (can get the components at radioshack if you know what you're looking for), and wire it like that so that they come on when its dark out and you have the ignition on (this probably isn't a good idea unless you're really confident in you're wiring skills..